School me on polishing pads

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Well, I just watched part 1 & 2 on the PC. Very impressed & plan to start following you.
I've been doing a lot of aluminum polishing lately & paint is next on my list.
I think the vids were very informative & humorous to watch! Straight proven advice with no BS.
Keep doing what you do! You have my interest Junkman.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
Tell me you were drafted! Surely you didn't volunteer defend your country! People don't give of themselves like that unless they have an agenda!.

This is my last post in this thread, but you have got to be shitting me Devil Dog. You speak to all Senior NCO's like that? Last I checked it is an all VOLUNTEER force. I didn't write Uncle Sam a blank check with my life for 21 years for an agenda... or to get rich... We both took the same Oath of Enlistment. I served my country with Honor and Dignity and retired thankfully with all my fingers and toes attached. Get over yourself Marine. Service to our country is a privilege.

Junkman2008

"Detailing Devil Dog"
Established Member
Well, I just watched part 1 & 2 on the PC. Very impressed & plan to start following you.
I've been doing a lot of aluminum polishing lately & paint is next on my list.
I think the vids were very informative & humorous to watch! Straight proven advice with no BS.
Keep doing what you do! You have my interest Junkman.

Now you understand why I tell people to watch those videos! Imagine how boring that same information would have been in written form. The videos deliver that information in a manner that keeps folks engaged. You just can't do that in written form unless you're dealing with detailing geeks. I don't want to hang out with detailing geeks, I want to reach the masses. That's why I do it in video forum.
thumbsup-1.gif

This is my last post in this thread, but you have got to be shitting me Devil Dog. You speak to all Senior NCO's like that? Last I checked it is an all VOLUNTEER force. I didn't write Uncle Sam a blank check with my life for 21 years for an agenda... or to get rich... We both took the same Oath of Enlistment. I served my country with Honor and Dignity and retired thankfully with all my fingers and toes attached. Get over yourself Marine. Service to our country is a privilege.

Bullitt, you completely misunderstood the point that I was trying to make. Take your feelings out of the equation and read it again. The point that I was trying to make is that there are people who volunteer of themselves freely, just because that is their makeup. The military example that I was trying to make is that men and women volunteer to defend this country and chance the ultimate sacrifice not for riches or glory, they do it because that is the cloth that they are cut from. I'm not volunteering my time and effort across the Internet because it is bringing in the dough, I do it because I like sharing what I know in a confusing arena that a lot of car owners try to dab in. I'm volunteering this information not getting remotely paid enough to do it.

Now does that make more sense? You completely misunderstood my message.

Last edited:

POPPAJ

Established Member
Thanks for the videos JM! Watched them all with much enjoyment. I'll be trying your process or modifying my own based on the info in your videos. I think the videos are great for a noob or anyone else that has a passion for detailing.

Sorry about all the BS, but that's the way it is here.

Why can't we all just get along?

Junkman2008

"Detailing Devil Dog"
Established Member
... Sorry about all the BS, but that's the way it is here.

Why can't we all just get along?

Hey, I'm the new guy on the block so it comes with the territory when you have strong personality like mine. Once guys realize that I'm actually here to help, things calm down and I get to do what I do best when it comes to detailing: TEACH. I realize that there are way more people who appreciate the information than those who actually post so I'm not going to be ran off and leave you guys hanging. Thanks for the feedback.
thumbsup.gif

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

Thanks for your service and all but leave your rank at the login page- I'll say it- that's ****ing weak sauce!! Your rank means jack shit here!! AND You're a RETIREE for crying out loud who just got punked on a car forum by someone you think is lower than you because back in the day you outranked him? Are you serious right now? You wanna "pull rank" go put your uniform on if you can still fit in it and hang out at the BX. You gotta be kidding me!! People like you give the military a bad name. SMH:nono:

2blackstangs

Established Member
Riddick I think was OP , probably abandon ship b/c his simple request become a " lets discredit JM " , or "try" I should say . As it seems to happen so much on forums , Sheesh .... I do not have the knowledge or expertise JM has but am happy to pass on my experiences and fill in any blanks I can , as I'm positive JM will too . I mean why else would he have put together days of How to videos for FREE if he didn't want to help ...... Like Matt said , there's allot of info on AGO , and allot of friendly people just like you . However I strongly recommend JM's series of videos for learning the inns and outs , they're so detailed its not funny . Again as Matt said , JM doesn't try to sell you anything , only help you make your car look good ...err Great .

P.S. JM when I said editing I was referring to floor and ceiling shots lmao , there's a vast many of us who appreciate yah , Keep up the Great work ,look foreword to the day I can shake your hand and buy you a beverage , you've helped me tremendously .

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Hey, I'm the new guy on the block so it comes with the territory when you have strong personality like mine. Once guys realize that I'm actually here to help, things calm down and I get to do what I do best when it comes to detailing: TEACH. I realize that there are way more people who appreciate the information than those who actually post so I'm not going to be ran off and leave you guys hanging. Thanks for the feedback.

It isn't about running you off, it is about fair feedback on the sharing of information with members. If members on here like your video and say they are a better detailer, heck ya, that's a win. I also say, if a member post up with a trouble spot, throwing a pic and a paragraph up would be better than "watch my vid".

Mach1, you know there are some gunnies who would have reacted the same way to having their service questioned, no matter where it happened. I got that he was being sarcastic, but some guys don't care for it.

Junkman's future posting habits will tell the story.

Junkman2008

"Detailing Devil Dog"
Established Member
... Mach1, you know there are some gunnies who would have reacted the same way to having their service questioned, no matter where it happened. I got that he was being sarcastic, but some guys don't care for it.

You now realize that I wasn't questioning anyone's service, right? Do you understand the point that I was trying to make about volunteering and unselfishness? Also, as folks are finding out, those videos convey more information than I remotely care to sit down and type out. There is no way in hell that I am going to type out all the information that is in those videos. That would take me a lifetime and I don't have that kind of free time.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for your service and all but leave your rank at the login page- I'll say it- that's ****ing weak sauce!! Your rank means jack shit here!! AND You're a RETIREE for crying out loud who just got punked on a car forum by someone you think is lower than you because back in the day you outranked him? Are you serious right now? You wanna "pull rank" go put your uniform on if you can still fit in it and hang out at the BX. You gotta be kidding me!! People like you give the military a bad name. SMH:nono:

Nailed it

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I really appreciate all active Military & Veterans but this thread sure has brought out some assholes!
JM is here to help & gets greeted like this? Jeez guys.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Mach1, you know there are some gunnies who would have reacted the same way to having their service questioned, no matter where it happened. I got that he was being sarcastic, but some guys don't care for it.

Junkman's future posting habits will tell the story.

No one is questioning your service..... what I am questioning is you trying to throw your rank around like it means something HERE. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but your rank doesn't mean a ****ing thing on a CAR FORUM. You seriously need to get over yourself.

You don't like or appreciate JM- fine, you have a right to your opinion. But at the end of the day it's just that. He's got video proof his methods work - do you have anything other than your RANK and opinion that says otherwise? NO - you don't. You're the typical "Senior NCO" that doesn't know how to take the uniform off and hold on to it like it means something to everyone outside the service - note: when you have to use your rank to make a point you make yourself look WEAK, not right. You may want to write that down so you can refer to it later since I suspect you experience this problem a lot.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
No one is questioning your service..... what I am questioning is you trying to throw your rank around like it means something HERE. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but your rank doesn't mean a ****ing thing on a CAR FORUM. You seriously need to get over yourself.

You don't like or appreciate JM- fine, you have a right to your opinion. But at the end of the day it's just that. He's got video proof his methods work - do you have anything other than your RANK and opinion that says otherwise? NO - you don't. You're the typical "Senior NCO" that doesn't know how to take the uniform off and hold on to it like it means something to everyone outside the service - note: when you have to use your rank to make a point you make yourself look WEAK, not right. You may want to write that down so you can refer to it later since I suspect you experience this problem a lot.

My service was referenced to give context to my post. I will say it again, since I am not getting through to you, no problem with how he does it. Sorry you're not bright enough to understand what I have been saying. Junkman and the mods though, understand exactly where I am coming from, and I am fine with that.

jewc75

Established Member
So Junkman how would you correct the paint on a white car? Ive never seen a white car SHINE the way a red or a dark color car does. Just curious how YOU would get there.

Junkman2008

"Detailing Devil Dog"
Established Member
So Junkman how would you correct the paint on a white car? Ive never seen a white car SHINE the way a red or a dark color car does. Just curious how YOU would get there.

The same EXACT way that I would correct the paint on ANY COLOR CAR. Here's where I want you to allow common sense to kick in. What I'm about to post is about as common sense as you can get.

What is the difference between white paint and black paint? Pigment, and absolutely NOTHING else. The way that it is applied to the car, how it wears and how it can be damaged is EXACTLY the same as ANY color out there. Is the damage harder to see? Definitely, but the exact things that will damage black paint are the same EXACT things that will damage white paint. Thus to repair ANY color paint, the process is EXACTLY the same. I don't care what color it is, paint is paint and you care for it the same exact way.

This is not rocket science, it's plain ol' common sense. When you stop and think about it, you should clearly see what I'm talking about and come to the same exact conclusion.

Think about all the nationalities of people on the planet. Do you think that there is any race of people who are less prone to die if shot at point blank range in the head with a shotgun? No there aren't. Although there are many different races out there (colors if you will), we are ALL subject to dying if we are shot by a shotgun in the head at point blank range. Color makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE. The same things that will damage white paint will damage black paint. That goes for fixing those same colors too.

What do YOU think now?

Last edited:

2blackstangs

Established Member
Not sure if JM mentioned it above , but you're polishing the Clear Coat , Not the paint , that is unless it's Single stage as opposed to Base Coat /Clear Coat .

inyadreems

Established Member
Well color me jaded, last I checked folks like Mike Phillips DON'T prescribe to the one pad for a fleet style... And No, I don't need to "watch" your free video's (which generate REVENUE for you) to see this magic... I will stick with the PROVEN advice from the Pro's at Autogeek, Autopia, ect... You know guy's like Mike Phillips, Kevin Brown... :rollseyes

Bullitt...this guy IS a pro. You are barking up the wrong tree. You don't have to buy into his methods but if you think he is clueless, you are simply wrong.

I am a part time detailer and a member of several detailing forums, detailing Facebook groups and Dodge/Ford forums, welcome Junkman2008.

Most of the time it's not what you say, it's how you say it. When it comes to detailing there is no definitive right or wrong way, find something that works for you and use if often (Mike Phillips). Many pro detaliers have different techniques, Mike Phillips, Larry Kosilla, Phil Yiu, Kevin Brown, Dave Saunders etc etc, all use different methods and techniques to some variation. I follow these detailers on social media and are friends with some also. Let's not go down the road of what one person preaches is gospel.

With that being said, my recommendation (notice I said recommendation) would be to go with GG DA with a 5 inch BP and a variety of pads. BNS, LC, Megs, Carpro all make great pads. Megs MF, new foam cutting discs and Carpro flash pads are all awesome and work very well. As far as my method, I clean pads on the fly until I feel they are no longer providing the cut or finish I want and then switch to a new pad. Every situation, car and paint is different. You can have 2 cars from the same manufacturer, same year and same color and what works for one doesn't work for the other.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I am a part time detailer and a member of several detailing forums, detailing Facebook groups and Dodge/Ford forums, welcome Junkman2008.

Most of the time it's not what you say, it's how you say it. When it comes to detailing there is no definitive right or wrong way, find something that works for you and use if often (Mike Phillips). Many pro detaliers have different techniques, Mike Phillips, Larry Kosilla, Phil Yiu, Kevin Brown, Dave Saunders etc etc, all use different methods and techniques to some variation. I follow these detailers on social media and are friends with some also. Let's not go down the road of what one person preaches is gospel.

With that being said, my recommendation (notice I said recommendation) would be to go with GG DA with a 5 inch BP and a variety of pads. BNS, LC, Megs, Carpro all make great pads. Megs MF, new foam cutting discs and Carpro flash pads are all awesome and work very well. As far as my method, I clean pads on the fly until I feel they are no longer providing the cut or finish I want and then switch to a new pad. Every situation, car and paint is different. You can have 2 cars from the same manufacturer, same year and same color and what works for one doesn't work for the other.

Well said

Users who are viewing this thread