School me on polishing pads

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
You still deflect from the original question of the one pad for a fleet of cars remark. Again I will wait for evidence from Pro's like Mike Phillips, Kevin Brown ect... validating your claim of the one "magic" pad technique... FYI, youtube subscribers doesn't really validate your expertise either... I am not scared to call out folks giving bad/selective info. You have been detailing since Jesus walked the earth, that's nice. You get paid to detail cars for a living, wow never seen that before... FYI I dont need to spam the forum with my "video's" to share common, easily validated info either... Thank goodness forum's like Autogeek/Autopia exist to help folks and keep the BS at bay...

If what SEVERAL of us have said so far doesn't "validate" his expertise, then nothing will. I think you just want the last word. I am a HUGE AG supporter and even I know the info shared serves to promote their products they carry. The technique as Junkman said is the key. Without that, product doesn't mean a hill of beans. Many of the products repped on here (Chemical Guys, Griots, etc) are justr rebranded Meguiar's. Nothing wrong with that as Megs makes some good stuff, but you are paying extra for the same thing. Think generic brand drugs versus name brand. Same stuff, different prices, if you take either incorrectly, the effects will be negated or harmful.

On the single pad theory that you obviously want addressed, I am sure Junkman will provide the data you so desire. I use multipe pads so I cannot speak to that area.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
On the single pad theory that you obviously want addressed, I am sure Junkman will provide the data you so desire. I use multipe pads so I cannot speak to that area.

This is my "rub"... If what he says is true, it is a game changer in regards to the amount of time and product used. The current selection of pads and SMAT/DAT abrasives says otherwise.

hoamskilet

Established Member
Might be time to just chalk it up to different strokes for different folks. Junkman's process of one pad obviously works well for him. I can't off the top of my head think of any other instance of seeing someone use and/or advise people to use just one pad for an entire car (let alone a "fleet of vehicles") and I personally use a couple pads/process. I don't think that makes either party right or wrong as long as the work that's done is quality and the end results are the same.

Junkman2008

"Detailing Devil Dog"
Established Member
.... On the single pad theory that you obviously want addressed, I am sure Junkman will provide the data you so desire. I use multipe pads so I cannot speak to that area.

Actually, I already provided him an answer but it flew right over his head. Since he hasn't bothered to watch those videos, he wouldn't understand how I can do this. I will let him figure it out by watching those videos if he truly wants to know. Being the pro that he is, the videos will make it quite plain and simple. If anyone else doesn't get it after watching those videos, just PM me and I will explain it in detail. Once I do, you will completely understand how I can do this. Again, the entire secret to what I do comes down to the technique I use. Remember the movie "Days of Thunder" with Tom Cruise? Remember how he kept tearing up the tires on his race car? After he listened to the old man and changed his driving technique, his tires lasted and wore a lot longer and a lot more even.

Now that was just a movie but it applies in real life too, as some of you who have played sports can attest to. Technique is the key to success in just about any arena when it comes to using your hands and body. From being a linesman in football to playing golf or the way a quarterback throws the ball, bad form is the difference between success and failure. This is what I preach and until you perfect your technique, nothing you use is going to make a hill of beans difference.

Oh, and Bullit, I don't detail cars for a living. It doesn't remotely pay enough for my lifestyle. I own a computer network consulting firm. I did a radio and TV show for novices to computers for 10 years on our local ABC affiliate here in my city. I am as good and explaining things to computer novices as I am to paint correction novices. So good that the local news channels often call on me for my input on computer related topics.

[video=youtube;9E1sLAoJUiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E1sLAoJUiM[/video]

Detailing cars can be hard, back breaking work. Luckily, I've done what I needed to do education wise so that I can hobnob and enjoy the other side of 50. :D

[video=youtube;BoFM2iWUo5w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoFM2iWUo5w[/video]

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
It's a 5-part video series on my You Tube channel - 2-hours long. It's like a college course in paint correction. You need to go check them out. Someone posted a link to those videos here last year so a lot of folks here are familiar with them and my talk of technique. And to clarify EXACTLY what I said earlier in this thread that you must have missed was, " I can do one stage of my buffing process on an entire fleet of cars with one pad and the polisher that you are using because of the buffing technique that I use."

I thought you were helping the guy out with legit advise until this post. Either you want to post and help guys on "THIS" forum, or you don't. Telling someone to watch your youtube video is BS. Now you are acting like a vendor and should be charged accordingly. You want to make money off of this site...pay SID.

Junkman2008

"Detailing Devil Dog"
Established Member
I thought you were helping the guy out with legit advise until this post. Either you want to post and help guys on "THIS" forum, or you don't. Telling someone to watch your youtube video is BS. Now you are acting like a vendor and should be charged accordingly. You want to make money off of this site...pay SID.

Facepalm-worf.gif

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Well color me jaded, last I checked folks like Mike Phillips DON'T prescribe to the one pad for a fleet style... And No, I don't need to "watch" your free video's (which generate REVENUE for you) to see this magic... I will stick with the PROVEN advice from the Pro's at Autogeek, Autopia, ect... You know guy's like Mike Phillips, Kevin Brown... :rollseyes

While I do watch Mike Phillips, Kevin Brown, Larry Kosilla etc - they all have variations of basic techniques that work for THEM. Junkman is no different - his techniques are highly effective andf his body of work clearly demonstrates that. Funny how you won't watch Junkman's vids because it supposedly generates so much revenue for him but you'll watch others that do the same thing?

The minute you become so closed minded to think you can't learn from somebody else is the minute you prove your ignorance. There are always new products and different techniques out there- if you aren't keeping up then the only person you are hurting is yourself.

Junkman2008

"Detailing Devil Dog"
Established Member
While I do watch Mike Phillips, Kevin Brown, Larry Kosilla etc - they all have variations of basic techniques that work for THEM. Junkman is no different - his techniques are highly effective and his body of work clearly demonstrates that. Funny how you won't watch Junkman's vids because it supposedly generates so much revenue for him but you'll watch others that do the same thing?

You know what's really funny? Those guys have a ton of products that they can sell you. I don't have one single product to sell and if you buy anything that I use in my videos, I don't see one red cent of it. In the last 30 days, I made a whopping $94 off my videos. Thirty days. I charge $95 an hour to work on computer networks. Per hour. Now if I was out to just make money, one could easily figure out that I would best be served fixing networks instead of spending time helping people I don't know to fix their paint for free.

Imagine that. A person using the Internet to share information that may benefit someone and he's not asking for anything in return. That can't be possible. Just as it can't be possible that men and women would VOLUNTARILY enlist in the military and take an oath to defend this country for what amounts to chump change, because you couldn't possibly put a price on a human life. Those people can't possibly exist.

corvette_blues-1.jpg

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
Imagine that. A person using the Internet to share information that may benefit someone and he's not asking for anything in return. That can't be possible. Just as it can't be possible that men and women would VOLUNTARILY enlist in the military and take an oath to defend this country for what amounts to chump change, because you couldn't possibly put a price on a human life. Those people can't possibly exist.

corvette_blues-1.jpg

LOL... Now the Vet Card.... I can play that game too...
WBB_4861.jpg

Junkman2008

"Detailing Devil Dog"
Established Member
Tell me you were drafted! Surely you didn't volunteer defend your country! People don't give of themselves like that unless they have an agenda!

Thank you for your service sir.
patriot.gif

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Tell me you were drafted! Surely you didn't volunteer defend your country! People don't give of themselves like that unless they have an agenda!

Thank you for your service sir.
patriot.gif

Cpl, you have the gift of self promotion, but I have seen that gift in action MANY times. You may not make much now, but enthusiast car forums would be a great place to grow the brand...wouldn't it?

I would imagine the mods have their eye on you now, might be careful how hard those youtube vids get pushed.

Oh, I served a bit myself, playing the vet card, really? :p

DSCN03212_zpscf43046f.jpg

Junkman2008

"Detailing Devil Dog"
Established Member
If I had time to write down everything in those videos, I wouldn't bother making them. But most people are not going to read a instructional writeup on how to fix paint. I know I wouldn't. I would be sleep by the first paragraph. You just can't convey a lot of what I preach in a written format only and the videos make a dry dry subject a lot more interesting. Even women watch those videos! Plus, there's something to seeing stuff happen right before your eyes. It adds a LOT of credibility to the point that you are trying to get across. That's why I make those videos. It says me a TON of typing.

As for my brand, the only brand I'm interested in is how the ladies see me. I could care less about everyone else! :D

As for the vet card, I wasn't trying to play one but I have a whole deck of cards that I could play. :D

aj_tyson.jpg

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Cpl, you have the gift of self promotion, but I have seen that gift in action MANY times. You may not make much now, but enthusiast car forums would be a great place to grow the brand...wouldn't it?

I would imagine the mods have their eye on you now, might be careful how hard those youtube vids get pushed.

Oh, I served a bit myself, playing the vet card, really? :p

DSCN03212_zpscf43046f.jpg

Self promotion? It's not bragging if it's true. Hate all you want but you can't fault his results...or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

I think some (like you and Bullitt) are confusing "New to forum" with "New to detailing" - You may not like JM's confidence or attitude (although you've shown him little reason to not be direct and somewhat confrontational) but you can't argue with his results. Perhaps you should look, listen, and learn before you cast aspersions.

And why not show a video to answer a question? Why would you write several paragraphs or pages when a vid/pic can more accurately show the technique. At this point you 2 are just arguing because you're butthurt when JM showed you what was up.

Here is a thought - instead of criticizing, how about you 2 show us some of YOUR vids proving him wrong? Put your $ where your mouth is or STFU:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Self promotion? It's not bragging if it's true. Hate all you want but you can't fault his results...or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

There is nothing wrong with self promotion. Several guys have already let me know he does good work. I would assert that go watch my youtube vids is overkill for what the OP was looking for. In fact, I don't care for anyone on a forum that says "go watch my how to video". If you throw the vet card to show you're a stand up guy, and it appears he is, don't be surprised when others call it.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
There is nothing wrong with self promotion. Several guys have already let me know he does good work. I would assert that go watch my youtube vids is overkill for what the OP was looking for. In fact, I don't care for anyone on a forum that says "go watch my how to video". If you throw the vet card to show you're a stand up guy, and it appears he is, don't be surprised when others call it.

Call what exactly? Are you doing the "my military service is better than your military service bs?"

He posted his vid because reading about detailing techniques sucks- it's dry as **** and is boring. Watching a vid while he's talking about techniques is much more informative- probably why YOU yourself mentioned the other detailers vids (or maybe that was bullitt- either way) All it really looks like now is you and Bullitt called him out because you thought he was a noob to detailing. He posted the vid to help the OP and respond the attacks by you and Bullitt..... but I forgot, his vids don't count. Are you going to go after SON1C and report him to the mods as well for posting vids? Do you realize how childish you sound? - no one likes to get schooled by someone they underestimated, I get it. But you and Bullitt had it coming for calling him out. Take your lumps and move on.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Well this thread turned interesting.

Junkman - since this is a SVT forum, I strongly recommend you do a new video of you doing a full detail on a beautiful Torch Red Terminator Cobra. I just so happen to know of one in your area that can be made available :-D

Last edited:

Junkman2008

"Detailing Devil Dog"
Established Member
Well this thread turned interesting.

Junkman - since this is a SVT forum, I strongly recommend you do a new video of you doing a full detail on a beautiful Torch Red Terminator Cobra. I just so happen to know of one in your area that can be made available :-D

Here's the deal. If you can leave that car with me for a few days, I will make a video showing exactly how I would go about correcting it. But here's the catch. I get to do ONE fender. THE REST of the car is YOURS and I will show you what to do. I have a garage that is alarmed and monitored so it will be as safe as any car can be. Besides that, I live 3 houses down from the 4th division police station and those guys know me well. Between computers and paint, they visit me often.

So let's show the doubters what can be done with a proper technique. Bet you didn't think that would be my response. By the way, dinner at Texas Roadhouse is on YOU. I like my filets big and medium.

juicy_filet.jpg

If I were to buy me a Mustang, this would be it. Does it count as a SVT?

ford2010_40.jpg

ford2010_39.jpg

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Call what exactly? Are you doing the "my military service is better than your military service bs?"

He posted his vid because reading about detailing techniques sucks- it's dry as **** and is boring. Watching a vid while he's talking about techniques is much more informative- probably why YOU yourself mentioned the other detailers vids (or maybe that was bullitt- either way) All it really looks like now is you and Bullitt called him out because you thought he was a noob to detailing. He posted the vid to help the OP and respond the attacks by you and Bullitt..... but I forgot, his vids don't count. Are you going to go after SON1C and report him to the mods as well for posting vids? Do you realize how childish you sound? - no one likes to get schooled by someone they underestimated, I get it. But you and Bullitt had it coming for calling him out. Take your lumps and move on.

What lumps have I taken, LOL. Some of the others felt his technique might not be the best for a noob. My reason for posting in this thread isn't so much about how to buff a car, I'm sure there are many that work. It was the "my way is the super bestest way, watch my youtube". If he makes so little money that it doesn't matter, post it up. If I don't like how a thread is being dominated by a newcomer who doesn't care to share his "technique" on the forum, I'm always more than happy to let em know.

I have never claimed to be an expert detailer. In fact, I wash and wax my car by hand. I don't have a show car and if it is clean and relatively shiny, good enough. That doesn't mean I won't have an opinion on how others post on this forum and express it.

My thought on the vet card was that it should have never been thrown in the first place. I like wingnuts, squids, jarheads and ground pounders equally.

EDIT: And coasties!

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
What lumps have I taken, LOL. Some of the others felt his technique might not be the best for a noob. My reason for posting in this thread isn't so much about how to buff a car, I'm sure there are many that work. It was the "my way is the super bestest way, watch my youtube". If he makes so little money that it doesn't matter, post it up. If I don't like how a thread is being dominated by a newcomer who doesn't care to share his "technique" on the forum, I'm always more than happy to let em know.

I have never claimed to be an expert detailer. In fact, I wash and wax my car by hand. I don't have a show car and if it is clean and relatively shiny, good enough. That doesn't mean I won't have an opinion on how others post on this forum and express it.

My thought on the vet card was that it should have never been thrown in the first place. I like wingnuts, squids, jarheads and ground pounders equally.

EDIT: And coasties!

Your mistake IMO is equating noob to the site to noob in general. And you can tell the story however you want to - but you got smoked my friend. It happens.

As far as him posting the vid I guess you missed the point that it's FAR easier and more effective to do a vid than it is to type a book that people usually stop reading about 5 lines into it. And why wouldn't he post a vid on HIS technique if it differs from others? Is this really THAT hard for you to understand? Seems pretty simple to me:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread