Saving a in ground pool..(buried). Maybe?

chvybeatsford

Established Member
OK.. So i bought this house and was never disclosed about the in ground pool. Found out few days after moving in and wondering why the ground was sunk in one spot. Neighbor walked over and told me there was a pool and another owner got tired of it and filled it in. Bout the most i got out the neighbor besides him saying they used just dirt. So i have a few questions.

How long will a pool last either filled in or not?
What type pool ( installed between 81-88)?
Worth it. Just a project with no time frame? Reason why is i almost have some one re leveling my yard.

IF u wanna see adress is 17190 highway 929 Prairieville La 70769.. Google earth is how i see the some what visible pics. Other than that nothing ..

NastyNate420

Established Member
Just something to think about but when My old boss want her pool filled in we drilled a ton of hole in the bottom for rain water to drain out ...otherwise youd end up with a swamp.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Depending on how high the water table is there, it could have floated the pool and ruined it.

Take it from a pool owner, you're better off leaving it filled in. Haven't gotten the balls to do that to mine yet but I would love to. It's great for the 3 days out of the year that it gets used. Otherwise it's a huge pain in the ass.

chvybeatsford

Established Member
c283d2a9e0a8117464746c3842f18cef.jpg

chvybeatsford

Established Member
From what look place said. More than likely they didn't puncture the bottom. And that's why it stays so soft. Even after a week no rain its soft.

chvybeatsford

Established Member
Depending on how high the water table is there, it could have floated the pool and ruined it.

Take it from a pool owner, you're better off leaving it filled in. Haven't gotten the balls to do that to mine yet but I would love to. It's great for the 3 days out of the year that it gets used. Otherwise it's a huge pain in the ass.
Well the wife and I would love on. Even thought above ground and deck it. For Louisiana we get long summers. Plus with my 16 year old I'm sure he may use it more. I'm more worried condition that its current state is.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Other thing to think of is the condition of not only shell but also the plumbing. I'm betting by the date you gave 81-88 it has the old caretaker pop up system which is a ton of extra plumbing that could be no good and is a pain in the ass. Also finding where the plumbing goes and location of where filter was would suck. May want to get a professional in and get their opinion

chvybeatsford

Established Member
Other thing to think of is the condition of not only shell but also the plumbing. I'm betting by the date you gave 81-88 it has the old caretaker pop up system which is a ton of extra plumbing that could be no good and is a pain in the ass. Also finding where the plumbing goes and location of where filter was would suck. May want to get a professional in and get their opinion
The pump is right there. By house about middle. So today I followed pipe .. Glad they left them up in concrete. If I only spend about 1k trying to see if its savable them I'm ok.. The digging is no issue plenty friends who love there toys and will do it for some beer and BBQ.
Any way to contact the local building department about this?
This is next on list. If I can get some type info I'd be happy. But I'm unsure the year so hopefully they can find all permits based on this address.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I might have a little bit of knowledge in this area, it'll cost more than it's worth to mess with it.

jbs$

Established Member
Contacting the building inspector is about the last thing that he would want to do. He can now throw in a load of dirt and solve most of the issue. There is no telling what those idiots would have him doing or how much to would cost.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The pump is right there. By house about middle. So today I followed pipe .. Glad they left them up in concrete. If I only spend about 1k trying to see if its savable them I'm ok.. The digging is no issue plenty friends who love there toys and will do it for some beer and BBQ.

This is next on list. If I can get some type info I'd be happy. But I'm unsure the year so hopefully they can find all permits based on this address.
Way more than $1K, trust me.

chvybeatsford

Established Member
Way more than $1K, trust me.
U talking in just me and few friend digging to check the walls. I known it be a whole lot to fully bring back. Either way I need to dig to bottom to punch some hole for draining. I'm certain they didn't do that but a quick dump and spread.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
how long ago did you close on it? Id be trying to go back after it for some $ to fix the problem

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Interior finish is done, trust me. Plumbing, new EQ, electric and the list goes on and on. Seeing as you're from LA maybe Stampede3 will throw his 2 cents in.

NastyNate420

Established Member
Well personally I thing you need to either
A. dig it up and drill hole or jack hammer the bottom /possibly save the pool
B. Hire someone to drill without digging it up

Adding dirt to the swamp isnt gonna do anything when the next rain hits

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Contacting the building inspector is about the last thing that he would want to do. He can now throw in a load of dirt and solve most of the issue. There is no telling what those idiots would have him doing or how much to would cost.

I agree with this, I would be looking into how I could recoup some money over it not being disclosed. My cousin bought a house in Indiana with a cracked inground pool. Per code he was not allowed to drill holes and fill it in, he had to pay contractors to come break it up and remove a good bit of it before filling in. Cost him like $7,000

Also, I would get a bit for a big Hammer drill and cut it, weld a long section of pipe in between it and make the longest drill bit known to man. Get on a ladder and go to town.

Last edited:

chvybeatsford

Established Member
Pool was never disclosed and my inspector never seen it also. Only thing ever noted was a breaker in breaker box. And that was from my inspector. Its not disclosed in the paper work she had to fill out. I'm not sure if she knew but the neighbor said he talked to her about it before also. This thing has been problem from go. I had the shop plans ready but the location due to pool stopped that. So that's why I'm wondering what way to go. Proper fix for filling in or chance rebuild and go above ground with a deck.

Users who are viewing this thread