Sanity check for Service quote from Ford...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have been out of that game about that long, thanks for the update

No problem.

Our labor rate has gone up about $30 in the past 6 years. Our technician pay has gone up about $8. Our net ROI has remained the same, within .5%. All costs have increased.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
No problem.

Our labor rate has gone up about $30 in the past 6 years. Our technician pay has gone up about $8. Our net ROI has remained the same, within .5%. All costs have increased.
Being retired and out of the game for just over 5 years, I have not kept up with the numbers. I know techs wages and benefits packages have increased but wasn’t sure how much. Glad to see you’re not sticking it to your customers Nick.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Was that under factory warranty or an extended warranty? Factory 3/36 is way different than any extended warranty
3/36

I read the Ford Premium Care ESP and the Ram extended warrant docs. Water Leaks are specifically excluded from both.

ETA: Ram identified an issue with the rear sliding windows leaking and extended the warranty on that to 8 year 150k miles. Similar issue for 3rd brake light. That got extended to 10 year 150k miles. Not sure if they are covering any water damage from associated leaks.

Last edited:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have an independent trim and upholstery shop near you, they may be a better alternative then the sketchy but expensive techs at the dealership.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
If you have an independent trim and upholstery shop near you, they may be a better alternative then the sketchy but expensive techs at the dealership.

Also, body repair shops can do this type of repair and the labor rates are much lower. You're paying $65/hr vs $150/hr plus.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The Ram 1500 had a water leak from the sunroof - the drain tube was not connected. Ram covered it 100%. Interior was completely removed. Carpet and sound deadening was removed and replaced. Again, they covered it 100%.

So you're telling us that the "trim piece" you circled, which actually looks like a functional insert and not trim, caused a leak and Ford isn't going to cover anything? That's real retarded, sir.
Ford covered a leak I was getting on my Explorer under new car warranty, drain tube was clogged or needed to be replaced.

100% covered as well, sun roof also needed to be removed. OP's issue is with the ESP, not new car warranty.

Last edited:

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I replaced the same vents on a 2019 Silverado.
I had to remove the rear seat back to gain access.
Total labor time 1 hr or so.
I would lay a C note on the counter that the vent is accessed by removing the rear seat back in about an hour.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I replaced the same vents on a 2019 Silverado.
I had to remove the rear seat back to gain access.
Total labor time 1 hr or so.
I would lay a C note on the counter that the vent is accessed by removing the rear seat back in about an hour.
Most likely and you can just lay the back seat down flat, no need to remove lol.

floodstang

Established Member
I have replaced those vents from the inside of the vehicle. They actually snap in from the outside but you can push the old one out and maneuver the new one through the opening and pull it to snap it in. I’m all about making money but the price you were quoted is ridiculous. And, I’m not sure if anyone mentioned it, the third brake light is a common source of water leaks. The gasket dries out and water pours in and it usually floods the rocker panels.

blackfang

Established Member
Yea local ford place near me is nearing $200 a hour.

Benz is over $400 per hour. Still paying techs 25 a hour
That last part, are we talking Master Techs with 10+ years of experience or a tech with 3 years experience? Either way that is some STRONG gross!

blackfang

Established Member
my friends performance shop is $150/hour, my glass shop is $65-$125 depending on in shop, mobile, USL&H, etc.. we don't charge enough labor, but insurance keeps you bound to around $35/hour..
Glass is considered body labor which is at a significantly lower rate than Mechanical.

Many of the independent's like Firestone, Midas and Goodyear in our area are north of $200/hr.

Adower

Established Member
Glass is considered body labor which is at a significantly lower rate than Mechanical.

Many of the independent's like Firestone, Midas and Goodyear in our area are north of $200/hr.
I just bought tires for my car at Firestone. I was curious to see what brakes cost since mine are due soon. They wanted almost 1100$ to do pads and rotors all around.

I usually do my own work so I haven’t seen prices in years but I was shocked.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I just bought tires for my car at Firestone. I was curious to see what brakes cost since mine are due soon. They wanted almost 1100$ to do pads and rotors all around.

I usually do my own work so I haven’t seen prices in years but I was shocked.

Yeah it's insane how much shops charge for some work.

This past spring I taught my son how to replace his brakes on his Mustang. Cost him ~$260 in parts. He was quoted about the same $1K.

I also replaced the brakes on my neighbor's Cmax in July for about $230 in parts. ****ing hottest day of the year, covered in poison ivy rash and he calls me up "can we do my brakes tomorrow? They no longer work." I started at 5AM to avoid the heat.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Based on what it costs me (time and effort and price) to replace brakes, rotors, calipers or a combination of three (as a Shadetree mechanic) I would think such a job is a goldmine for a dealership in terms of profit.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Based on what it costs me (time and effort and price) to replace brakes, rotors, calipers or a combination of three (as a Shadetree mechanic) I would think such a job is a goldmine for a dealership in terms of profit.

$500-600 was pretty average for pads and rotors per axel, and it was a job we would often adjust profit margins to get down to a lower price point that didn't scare people off. If you had a European car you were looking at $700+ and easily over a grand if calipers are needed. It's a good one for the techs to make money on, but the shop I worked at would take more of a hit on profit for common jobs in order to get other maintenance performed. It's about getting the customer to drop a few grand to perform all of the repairs and maintenance.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
$500-600 was pretty average for pads and rotors per axel, and it was a job we would often adjust profit margins to get down to a lower price point that didn't scare people off. If you had a European car you were looking at $700+ and easily over a grand if calipers are needed. It's a good one for the techs to make money on, but the shop I worked at would take more of a hit on profit for common jobs in order to get other maintenance performed. It's about getting the customer to drop a few grand to perform all of the repairs and maintenance.
What does that mean? The tech gets paid based on the job?

Users who are viewing this thread