Saleen S281 Extreme

broeli

Established Member
Ford could do it cheaper than Saleen can. There is a big difference between producing enough parts for 100 cars, which is the most S281E's they make, than mass producing some for 15,000 cars. It is cheaper to do it in higher volume. Other car companies do it for their high performance models..Ford should do the same. It ISN'T expensive to alternate from sheetmetal to aluminum...especially in mass quantity. Mitsubishi stamps their hoods, fenders, roof, etc. out of aluminum and uses carbon fiber on the very limited Evo (under 5000 made per year). Mitsubishi has two roof panels. One is regular sheetmetal which is used on the GSR. Then they have the aluminum roof for the MR and RS. Chevy does it also. Many manufacturers take measures to drop weight. Ford just hasn't tried as hard as some companies do.
Please don't use the excuse that it costs too much anymore. It's not true...especially when you're spending $45,000.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Dr Auto X said:
The Saleen looks a lot better than the Shelby. Especially in the back. The back is the worst part of the 05+ Mustangs.

You're kidding, right? The Saleen looks ricey with all that body kit and those 20 in. wheels look ghetto. But, what do you know, you're probably 12 or 13.

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
Viperluke, good looking car! I like the Saleens except those 20 ghetto wheels. If Steve would put performance looking aluminium wheels on it, instead of the chrome, then it would be a lot better. IMO! I would prefer more of a performance look. I'll stick with the Shelby. Still a cool car!

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
FBMphil said:
Ever think that Saleen is bullshitting about the weight?
Dr. Phil, you seem to have weight issues. You say VW's #'s are incorrect! Saleen lies! Who can we believe? :lol: :lol: Sorry, I just could not resist! :beer:

Last edited:

trance_in_miami

Established Member
:coolman:
Viperluke said:
I guess I have a little rice in my blood too. But at least I've got fast rice. Also the urethane(plastic pieces)are actually functional. I didn't buy this car for women. But damn! Women love this car. The stories I can tell, and I've only had it several months.

leeen5qy.jpg

:rockon: OH My GOD ! I love the SALEEN

Formula51

Established Member
GTWill said:
Let me rephrase. Most of the added weight on GT500 as compaired to the GT is in the engine and brakes. How does the Saleen weighs less than a stock GT when it has bigger brakes? This might answer your other question Since we are counting pounds 3920lbs - 3550lbs = 370lbs. Dosn't the shaker1000 add 50 of the 370? If so we are down to 320lbs. Add engine, blower, transmission, and intercooler and I think we are getting close. Your right I'm sure I don't know as much about cars as you no flames here.

The Saleen also has a 6-speed transmission, blower and intercooler, probably each of similar weight to that of the GT500's. Thus, by your estimation we are down to 320lbs minus the additional weight of the 5.4L over the 4.6L, wich is about 50lbs according to what broeli posted earlier.

Where are the other 270lbs?

We are missing something or someone is fibing.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Saleen Extreme specs:

SPECIFICATIONS 2006 SALEEN S281 Extreme Coupe

GENERAL
Curb Weight, lb. est 3550
Weight Distribution, F/R 53/47
Fuel Capacity, gal. 15.7
Wheelbase, in. 107.1
Track, F/R 63.9/62.8
Width 74.0
Length 189.1
Height 56.0
Trunk Space, cubic ft. 12.3

ENGINE
Type 4.6L, 3V, SOHC V-8
Bore and Stroke 3.55 x 3.54 in.
Displacement 4.6 liters, 281 cu in.
Crankshaft Special Saleen Forged Steel
Connecting Rods Saleen Forged Steel
Pistons Saleen Forged Aluminum
Exhaust System Saleen 2 ½” performance center exhaust system
Horsepower 550 bhp @ 6100 RPM
Torque 500 lbs-ft Torque @ 4900 RPM
Fuel Premium Unleaded 91 Octane
Air Filter Saleen performance air filter
Saleen Intercooled Supercharger Saleen Series VI Integrated TwinScrew Supercharger With Two-Stage Water-To-Air Intercooler System; Cast 356-T6 aluminum alloy construction
Inlet Tube Saleen design high-flow inlet tube and air box cover
Radiator Saleen Performance dual-core radiator and high flow cooling system
Calibration Saleen Powerflash™ Performance

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission Saleen Quick Ratio 6-Speed Transmission
8.8 in. Differential 3.55:1 Ratio Standard
Saleen MaxGrip Speed-Sensitive Limited Slip Standard
Clutch High performance clutch
Flywheel Light weight aluminum
Driveshaft Balanced aluminum
Differential Saleen Maxgrip™ Differential 4.10:1 gear ratio

From the Saleen web site. Personally I like the car but can't seem to swallow the $68k base price :eek:

Viperluke

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Saleen Mustangs have always been overpriced underperforming pieces of shit...

The almighty Fourcam has spoken. Now you tell me. If I had consulted you first. I could've saved myself some cash...and the embarassment of driving around in my p.o.s Saleen.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Viperluke said:
The almighty Fourcam has spoken. Now you tell me. If I had consulted you first. I could've saved myself some cash...and the embarassment of driving around in my p.o.s Saleen.

To each his own. A little too flashy, and underpowered for my taste.

Viperluke

Established Member
Originally Posted by fordification
I would think whoever hates the Saleen would most definitely hate the Foose Mustang too.

I agree...and probably vice versa. What are the drivetrain options on the Foose? Or is it just cosmetics?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the foose looks much better than the saleen in my opinion. it doesnt look bloated by the body kit, they integrated it nicely. those rims arent to bad but i would rather have 17-18" rims, since anything else pretty much serves no purpose to performance besides adding unsprung weight. and it doesnt have that POS saleen wing on it, that thing looks so fricken cheesy and tacked on(makes me wonder why people complain about the GT500 spoiler, could be better but atleast its not a saleen).

Users who are viewing this thread