Saleen S281 Extreme

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Viperluke said:
I guess I have a little rice in my blood too. But at least I've got fast rice. Also the urethane(plastic pieces)are actually functional. I didn't buy this car for women. But damn! Women love this car. The stories I can tell, and I've only had it several months.

leeen5qy.jpg
I realize the car is fast. It's just ugly. How does this rear end function (other than as a place for this guy to wipe his ass).

IMG_0022_JPG.jpg

broeli

Established Member
Some more #'s that might interest a few of you:
Ford GT heads: 63lbs each (126 total) assembled
4.6 SOHC 2V heads: 46lbs each (92 total) assembled

Terminator

Established Member
broeli said:
Just to throw a few #'s out there, a complete 4.6 Mustang motor weighs 614lbs. A complete 5.4 weighs 660. The "cammer" 5.0 weighs 669. Keep in mind these are complete motors minus a supercharger. The supercharger will add 50-60lbs (listed as 57lbs).
Here are some bare block weights for those interested:
The cast 5.4 block weighs 239lbs. The aluminum 4.6 (A46) block weighs 147lbs. The cast 4.6 weighs around 178lbs (D46 (Romeo)) (W46 (Windsor)weighs 219) . The "cammer" 5.0 block weighs 120lbs.

This is why Mustangs have weight issues, those mod engines weigh as much as a big block, yet they only have 281 & 330 c.i.
What do the Chevy engines weigh (LSx)?....Curious!

broeli

Established Member
I'm pretty sure a complete LS6 weighs around 497lbs. The bare aluminum "350" small block is around 145lbs.

Last edited:

Viperluke

Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
I realize the car is fast. It's just ugly. How does this rear end function (other than as a place for this guy to wipe his ass).

IMG_0022_JPG.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The rear of my car looks different than that ugly green Saleen you posted....To answer your question...

2 0 0 5 A E R O D Y N A M I C S / G R O U N D E F F E C T S

You will notice a family resemblance with the Saleen S7 in the shaping of features such as the lower front grille opening, the hood "vents," the rocker panel side skirting, the rear spoiler and the rear diffuser. Designed by the wind. Beauty and function. Optimal aerodynamics and topspeed performance. Objectives Saleen aerodynamics components achieve because of lessons previously learned in wind tunnel testing of the S7.

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
you guys are still missing some critical areas regarding weight. sure the engine does hold extra weight, but do you really think the stock gt chassis/drivetrain can handle the 500hp/~450ft/lbs of torque without any strength issues? what's the weight difference between the 5-speed 3650 and the 6-speed TR6060?

And I'm thinking most of the suspension components on the GT-500 must be cast iron instead of alluminum considering the 10k over base price.

Viperluke

Established Member
fordification said:
gorgeous car you have there Viperluke.

Thanks. You're right about the hate on this board. But I think thats only a small percentage of the posters. I like it because its a good place to get info. on anything Mustang.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
I'm not a hater. I actually respect the Saleen for what it can do. I don't like its styling and simply said so. Dr. X said the Saleen looked better esp in the back. The dig was as much at him as the Saleen.

I think the big wheels and super-duper aerodynamics do look ricey. How much function do you really think it adds? The wheels add bling and the aerodynamics add very little, if any, performance much like the rear diffuser on the GT500. They took it from what they learned on the GT.

The only reason I chose that green pic is because it looked like that guy was getting ready to drop his trousers and crap on the car. I found it humorous.

No offense to your car intended. I just would choose another because of its styling.

Last edited:

broeli

Established Member
fordification said:
you guys are still missing some critical areas regarding weight. sure the engine does hold extra weight, but do you really think the stock gt chassis/drivetrain can handle the 500hp/~450ft/lbs of torque without any strength issues? what's the weight difference between the 5-speed 3650 and the 6-speed TR6060?

And I'm thinking most of the suspension components on the GT-500 must be cast iron instead of alluminum considering the 10k over base price.

The Saleen S281E also has a 6-speed and also has more hp, yet it still weighs 400lbs less.
The Gt500 doesn't use different materials on suspension pieces. The $10k price difference is a gripe many have...where is the money spent to justify it?...it isn't. They're counting on the Shelby name to sell it for more $.

mrGT

Established Member
Maybe if we take both the GT500 and the Saleen to the Insurance Institute, we might be able to see why the Shelby weighs more.

stang22

Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
The only reason I chose that green pic is because it looked like that guy was getting ready to drop his trousers and crap on the car. I found it humorous.

No offense to your car intended. I just would choose another because of its styling.
LOL!!! Now that's funny and true!! :-D

GTWill

Established Member
broeli said:
LOL. PLEASE tell me you're kidding. You must know very little about cars. The Saleen has BIGGER and better brakes. Even if the brakes are lighter if they are two piece rotors and light calipers it would be no more than 20lbs or so total. Do you think the 5.4l is 400+lbs heavier?....it's not.
Let me rephrase. Most of the added weight on GT500 as compaired to the GT is in the engine and brakes. How does the Saleen weighs less than a stock GT when it has bigger brakes? This might answer your other question Since we are counting pounds 3920lbs - 3550lbs = 370lbs. Dosn't the shaker1000 add 50 of the 370? If so we are down to 320lbs. Add engine, blower, transmission, and intercooler and I think we are getting close. Your right I'm sure I don't know as much about cars as you no flames here.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Saleen Mustangs have always been overpriced underperforming pieces of shit with excessive body moldings, weaknut motors (save the blown 351 which had promise) and laughable attempts at suspension design. For $70K I hope this one's very different.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
broeli said:
The Saleen S281E also has a 6-speed and also has more hp, yet it still weighs 400lbs less.
The Gt500 doesn't use different materials on suspension pieces. The $10k price difference is a gripe many have...where is the money spent to justify it?...it isn't. They're counting on the Shelby name to sell it for more $.

If you're talking about the ~$10K diff between the GT500 and the 03/04 Cobra I don't see what you're complaining about--if not disregard this statement. To start the car is three model years newer, meaning if the 03/04s were introduced today they would very likely be near $40K. GT500 has a larger motor (auto manufacturers always charge more for larger engines used on the same platform), better blower, top of the line heads, chassis/suspension that's light years ahead of the Fox platform, real 14" front Brembo's, etc. etc.
I also can't wait to see what the new S281E puts to the tires, Saleens have historically been overrated in terms of actual power production.

fordification

Established Member
broeli said:

Over 20k difference to the GT-500 and 30 to the GT. Hot Rod was able to swap out the GT suspension/brakes and drop the weight to 3200+lbs. Think Saleen could be capable of some weight saving techniques?

Users who are viewing this thread