saleen or cobra..if you had to pick one to keep

Jroc

Established Member
This is simple.

Trade both in on either a used GT500 or new Mustang GT.(if you can afford it a Boss 302) Both are much better Mustangs than either the ones you have.

markw351

Established Member
This is simple.

Trade both in on either a used GT500 or new Mustang GT. Both are much better Mustangs than either the ones you have.

Simple if i liked the new body styles more...which i don't by a long shot. I could give a sh!t if it's a better built car. If i wanted the best built car for the money i don't know i would even buy a GT500. I own what i own because i like them, now that's simple.

Jroc

Established Member
Simple if i liked the new body styles more...which i don't by a long shot. I could give a sh!t if it's a better built car. If i wanted the best built car for the money i don't know i would even buy a GT500. I own what i own because i like them, now that's simple.

Okay then you need to choose between performance or looks. Your Saleen is sexy, and your Cobra is kind of ugly. On the other hand your Terminator will likely kick your Saleens ass in acceleration. To be honest my old 99 Roush Stage II was nothing special just a 99 GT that looked a little different, and maybe handled slightly better. I would keep your Cobra and get some different wheels.

I personally would choose the much superior chassis of the new S197 cars. Much better handling, and refinement, as well as being way more forgiving, and predictable but that's JMO.

azure mach

Established Member
well it seems pretty one sided already, but i definitely would also say keep the cobra. SB is in my opinion the sexiest color and since you have to repaint the saleen wouldn't that already hurt it's resale value ? sell the saleen and pay off the cobra

markw351

Established Member
Okay then you need to choose between performance or looks. Your Saleen is sexy, and your Cobra is kind of ugly. On the other hand your Terminator will likely kick your Saleens ass in acceleration. To be honest my old 99 Roush Stage II was nothing special just a 99 GT that looked a little different, and maybe handled slightly better. I would keep your Cobra and get some different wheels.

I personally would choose the much superior chassis of the new S197 cars. Much better handling, and refinement, as well as being way more forgiving, and predictable but that's JMO.

Kinda ugly! Whatever! I guess i should buy some saleen, TF, CCW or some other wheels that are on every other cobra. Talk about ugly IMO that's the S197 platform. It not "better" enough to make up for ugly. It's a butter face car. Anyway, that is not the topic of this thread. You don't like either car over a S197 that i can find 10 of in every parking lot in town. I get it. Hell there was 3 black and a grey '11 5.0s sitting in the gym parking lot yesterday...i laughed. At least i know which cars are mine.

Jroc

Established Member
Kinda ugly! Whatever! I guess i should buy some saleen, TF, CCW or some other wheels that are on every other cobra. Talk about ugly IMO that's the S197 platform. It not "better" enough to make up for ugly.

I personally liked my 18 replica's on mine, but always wanted some CCW Classic's. Saleens look good on Terminators.

I like the S197's. They especially mod well cosmetics wise. You obviously have no experience with a new 5.0 Mustang GT. It is 50x's better than a SN95 platformed car, and a way better car than a Terminator. Even the older GT500's are a much better platform. Trust me I DD my SB coupe for 3.5 years. It was a blast, but the Ford Fairmont platform leaves much to be desired. If you ever install in-floor SFC's on one you'll wonder how the car even supports it's on weight. I'm already getting tired of my TermiFox build after driving the new Mustangs.

Anyway I recommend you sell your Terminator, and use the extra funds to build a badass all aluminum motor with a tranny of your choicing for your Saleen. It's a badass looking car, and much better looking than your Terminator.

Last edited:

Explosive

Established Member
Kinda ugly! Whatever! I guess i should buy some saleen, TF, CCW or some other wheels that are on every other cobra. Talk about ugly IMO that's the S197 platform. It not "better" enough to make up for ugly. It's a butter face car. Anyway, that is not the topic of this thread. You don't like either car over a S197 that i can find 10 of in every parking lot in town. I get it. Hell there was 3 black and a grey '11 5.0s sitting in the gym parking lot yesterday...i laughed. At least i know which cars are mine.

Easy man, it's his opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own. You see those wheels on every other Cobra because they good to a large group of people.

Raven519

Established Member
Choice between the two, neither of them. sell them both *some retard will pay tons of cash for the cobra* and get a Z06.

99BOSS

Established Member
Markw351: Thats a tough call. I guess it comes down to which one gives you the most enjoyment while driving. Power is awesome and its hard to beat a Cobra for that. However, you cant drive it floored all the time. Most people are WOT like .1% of the time. If its about having a unique car that gets attention, the Saleen is hard to beat. Ive seen pics of your cars for a while now and always loved the looks of it. Cobra's arent that rare and a Saleen will always get more attention. I know, I have both too. Ive debated many times, if I was gonna sell one, which one? Ive never been able to answer that question lol. Saleens do hold their value pretty well too. Cobra's remain highly sought after and their values have stayed strong. You may have to look at it from a financial angle instead of a HP thing. I do like the idea of big power in a Saleen bodied car though, where you get the best of both! But you dont want to hack up either to do it. Imagine your Saleen with a built 408, YSi Vortech, lumping cam.....you'd never miss a 4.6 Cobra! Let us know what you decide....:beer:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
To some maybe, except the for the $12K+ difference in current market value between this car and a gt with a body kit and the gap will only increase with age. The fastest cars are not always the most valued. This is a 1 of 5 original Saleen. There's always the Saleen haters though. I have heard it before and it's not worth my time to defend. All i say is, buy a 2000 GT and build a replica Saleen and I'll keep mine and in 20 years let's see what they go for at a car auction.

$12k??? Good luck with that!

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
had both, 00 saleen and 03 cobra... the saleen was def more attractive... everyone complimented me on it, while the cobra got mad respect....

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
The Saleen is just a dirt slow GT with a body kit with bad paint. Keep the Cobra.

The paint on every 03-04 Cobra (Fords pre-05 in general) I have seen (stock from the factory) looks like dog sh*t. Full of orange peal

I personally liked my 18 replica's on mine, but always wanted some CCW Classic's. Saleens look good on Terminators.

I like the S197's. They especially mod well cosmetics wise. You obviously have no experience with a new 5.0 Mustang GT. It is 50x's better than a SN95 platformed car, and a way better car than a Terminator. Even the older GT500's are a much better platform. Trust me I DD my SB coupe for 3.5 years. It was a blast, but the Ford Fairmont platform leaves much to be desired. If you ever install in-floor SFC's on one you'll wonder how the car even supports it's on weight. I'm already getting tired of my TermiFox build after driving the new Mustangs.

Anyway I recommend you sell your Terminator, and use the extra funds to build a badass all aluminum motor with a tranny of your choicing for your Saleen. It's a badass looking car, and much better looking than your Terminator.

+1

Choice between the two, neither of them. sell them both *some retard will pay tons of cash for the cobra* and get a Z06.

+2

2000gtp1sc

Established Member
The stock motor will be kept, but i know what your saying. I have gone back and forth about doing anything to the saleen as not to not de-value the car. That's why the 4v motor has been sitting in the garage for the last 3 months and not in the engine bay yet.

Well atleast you're not an idiot. I was a little taken back when I read the part about putting the 4v in. On the other hand, if you were going to keep the saleen for another 40 years, I could see a collector being interested considering you would still have the stock motor for it. At the end of the day, it's still going to be worth a whole heck of a lot more than my 4v swapped gt:) To each their own, I guess.

It's still a head scratcher if I had to pick! Really tough, if I were in your position.

markw351

Established Member
Well thanks for all the folks that gave their opinions on the actual topic of picking between my two cars. As for everyone else's about wheels and S197 are better cars topic that i could find 100 threads about on this sight and was not relevant to this subject, thanks anyway. I have driven a new 5.0 and other model S197s. Not a dealer test drive...an all out grip and rip in every mode thrashing in by buddies car. It's impressive and a great car! But blown away enough to sell both my cars to by a new 5.0 just like everyone else's in town i was not. They are everywhere! There are 4 '10-11 and 2 07-09 GT500s on base too. Not to mention the rest of the city. I would rather drive my inferior ugly rare POSs than add to that crowded scene. That's my opinion...so easy man...i am entitled to mine too. Thanks.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
The paint on every 03-04 Cobra (Fords pre-05 in general) I have seen (stock from the factory) looks like dog sh*t. Full of orange peal

Ford paint in general sucks. I just mentioned the Saleen's paint sucks because he said it needs to be repainted.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Hmm, sell the saleen and put a saleen body kit on the cobra.

Or sell the cobra and put a cobra powertrain in the saleen.

You should crunch your numbers and see which would be cheaper to do and go from there.

Problem solved. :D

Users who are viewing this thread