saleen or cobra..if you had to pick one to keep

markw351

Established Member
I have been going back and forth about selling one of my mustangs. I just can't decide if I do which one I should keep.

1) 2000 Bright Atlantic Blue Saleen S281. (1 of 5 BAB coupes built)
85K miles
Bolt-on Mach 1 swap
Paid for
Needs some paint work (the usual crappy cracked paint job on saleen
pieces and rock chips. Would probably have the whole car painted.
Real clean other than that)
Owned for 7 years

2) 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra
11K miles
ported blower and full bolt ons
Super clean
2nd owner (bought it 2.5 years ago)
owe $12K

If i sell the cobra i would take the money and go into build mode with the Saleen, but that would pricey. If I sell the Saleen I could drop maybe $5k in the cobra to get it where I want it and pocket the rest. I love both cars and don't have to sell but just don't feel I need both. If it wasn't for all the work that would have to go into the Saleen to make it the way i want it I don't think this would be as tough...i would keep the Saleen. Just looking for opinions.

baseball006.gif

DSC014682-1-2-1.gif

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Let's see cobra has low miles, looks clean as hell, forged motor, forged motor and did I mention has forged motor.

GodStang

Established Member
2000 Saleens in the 281 version where dogs. They look good but even the supercharged ones were dirt slow. I know it is not all about speed but wow ya they suck. I would keep the Cobra hands down.

markw351

Established Member
Cobra for sure. 85k miles to 11k miles is what really made me say that. ......plus its a cobra!!! :banana:

Yea that's what tilts it for me too. The thing with the Saleen that makes it so tough is that it's BAB. I can honestly say in the 7 years i owned it i have never seen another BAB Saleen on the street and only found one other on the internet. I love the rareness of it.

Last edited:

markw351

Established Member
2000 Saleens in the 281 version where dogs. They look good but even the supercharged ones were dirt slow. I know it is not all about speed but wow ya they suck. I would keep the Cobra hands down.

So true! That's why I have a 4v motor waiting to go into it. If i keep it that motor would be forged and force fed in one way or another. But there's the problem. All the money it will take to get there.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Wait for it......

Put a Saleen kit on the Cobra?

(Please don't kill me die hard "keep the cobra looking like a cobra" people:burn:) No but seriously, the Saleen is a beautiful car. I've always been in love with those years of Saleens, but the Cobra has less mileage and is easier/cheaper to make faster. Sell the Saleen, put a kit on the Cobra, do a few engine mods, lower it and it'll be the best of both worlds for ya

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
The one you can see yourself enjoying the most? The saleen looks nice. Im loving the color, and never seen an original saleen in that shade of blue. I would just keep both if you dont have to sell them, but thats just me.

Last edited:

markw351

Established Member
Sell both and try to find a saleen cobra. On a serious note, keep the cobra.

If only it was that easy. I certainly look when i see them for sale but, to my knowledge they didn't make a sonic blue, silver or DSG saleen cobra and those are my colors of choice.

And low03tb NO WAY i ever put a saleen kit on a my cobra. I would put a cobra powerplant into the saleen though..weird.

Last edited:

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
And low03tb NO WAY i ever put a saleen kit on a my cobra. I would put a cobra powerplant into the saleen though..weird.

Eh..a little lol. It's all up to personal preference. They're only body panels. I love the look of the termi's so I wouldn't do that either. But putting a forged motor,etc in the Saleen isn't exactly the same so I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread