saleen or cobra..if you had to pick one to keep

slvr35th

Established Member
I have seen both n person and i would keep the cobra!! It is super clean inside and out. It looks awesome with the bullit side scoops. My buddie is selling a 2.3 whipple setup if you end up going this route.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
The Saleen is just a dirt slow GT with a body kit with bad paint. Keep the Cobra.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Depends on your goals really. What it comes down to is how long your going to keep either or? Saleen will go up in value, while the Cobra goes down. BAB is serious rare color especially on a saleen. Now if your more of racer then keep the cobra all day. If your not really hardcore into racing, then keep the Saleen, its more of "showy" type mustang then a cobra!

M3xpress

Established Member
As clean as your Cobra is, I'd say keep it. I love the Saleen cars but between those specific two, I'd pick the Cobra.

2000gtp1sc

Established Member
One question. Can you afford to do both? I'd lean on keeping the cobra because I don't think any "collector" is going to want a cut up modded out saleen anytime in the future regardless of what color it may be. I'd really see about keeping both of them and modding the heck out of the cobra and leaving the saleen stock so as to help it hold some of the collector value. Just my .02

markw351

Established Member
The Saleen is just a dirt slow GT with a body kit with bad paint. Keep the Cobra.

To some maybe, except the for the $12K+ difference in current market value between this car and a gt with a body kit and the gap will only increase with age. The fastest cars are not always the most valued. This is a 1 of 5 original Saleen. There's always the Saleen haters though. I have heard it before and it's not worth my time to defend. All i say is, buy a 2000 GT and build a replica Saleen and I'll keep mine and in 20 years let's see what they go for at a car auction.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
To some maybe, except the for the $12K+ difference in current market value between this car and a gt with a body kit and the gap will only increase with age. The fastest cars are always the most valued. This is a 1 of 5 original Saleen. There's always the Saleen haters though. I have heard it before and it's not worth my time to defend. All i say is, buy a 2000 GT and build a replica Saleen and I'll keep mine and in 20 years let's see what they go for at a car auction.
I don't know man he kind of has a point, there are tons of Saleen kits on the road, well maybe not these days but in the 2000's I would see different ones every other day. Also how much of a collector car is this Saleen gonna be with 80,000+ miles?

Just like everyone else I vote Cobra, lower miles and faster too!

markw351

Established Member
One question. Can you afford to do both? I'd lean on keeping the cobra because I don't think any "collector" is going to want a cut up modded out saleen anytime in the future regardless of what color it may be. I'd really see about keeping both of them and modding the heck out of the cobra and leaving the saleen stock so as to help it hold some of the collector value. Just my .02

The stock motor will be kept, but i know what your saying. I have gone back and forth about doing anything to the saleen as not to not de-value the car. That's why the 4v motor has been sitting in the garage for the last 3 months and not in the engine bay yet.

markw351

Established Member
I don't know man he kind of has a point, there are tons of Saleen kits on the road, well maybe not these days but in the 2000's I would see different ones every other day. Also how much of a collector car is this Saleen gonna be with 80,000+ miles?

Just like everyone else I vote Cobra, lower miles and faster too!

I don't know what it might be worth in the future and i certainly don't compare my saleen to any classic shelby by any means but i'll use it to make a point. Look at the difference in value of any original shelby compared to a replica. It's not even in the same ballpark. If you do a ground up restoration on a collector car the miles never matter any way. Not saying this car will even ever be worth anything but it certainly has a hell of a lot better chance than any replica. People pay more for an original, that's a fact.

Users who are viewing this thread