Said goodbye to the snake....*Crappy Pic Warning*

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Congrats on the purchase. The 06 STI is really nice. I came from a WRX to my 04 Cobra. The ergonomics are DEFINATELY better in the Subaru. More leg room, shifter is in the right spot, Everything is where you would expect.

It was too much $$$ to make the WRX as fast as I wanted it, so I found another platform that was easier and cheaper to mod- the Cobra.

The price of WRX mods has come way down in the last year. It will drop even furthur when the all new WRX platform is released next year.

Throw a catless downpipe on it and have some fun. It will gain about 20 WHP and the sound will get slightly more agressive.
Yea, i actually thought about getting a '03-'04 cobra and a beater, but i still wouldnt have fit in the cobra. Plus my parents really didnt want to have another beater, we already have our ould 1995 subaru legacy which barley runs.

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
LTHLBLU said:
Dude, have you driven one, trust me.
Specs:
'01 Cobra: 13.5 sec @ 105 mph
'06 STi 13.0 @ 103.5

Sure it traps higher, but which is quicker. I grant you after mods the cobra would probably beat the sti, but from what i felt, my old car would probably of lost by about a car.

Like i said, the part i will miss the most is the sound, but i had to do this for my career and life :rockon:
I don't know about the whole 2nd and 5th thing, but your Cobra had stock gears correct? Well I don't know if there is any truth to this because I don't know what gears come in an STi but I heard that most imports have lower gears and it gives it a feeling that you are pulling harder but you may not be. I don't just something I heard.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
LTHLBLU said:
Dude, have you driven one, trust me.
Specs:
'01 Cobra: 13.5 sec @ 105 mph
'06 STi 13.0 @ 103.5

Sure it traps higher, but which is quicker. I grant you after mods the cobra would probably beat the sti, but from what i felt, my old car would probably of lost by about a car.

Like i said, the part i will miss the most is the sound, but i had to do this for my career and life :rockon:

In most real world situations the STI will be faster unless you are on the freeway racing from 60. Stock STIs start running out of breath after 100. The still have power to get up to the 155 speed limiter, but it is not as impressive as the 0-100.

Another thing to consider is that the STI is much easier to drive near the limit. You feel invincible with AWD.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
JebTonkin said:
I don't know about the whole 2nd and 5th thing, but your Cobra had stock gears correct? Well I don't know if there is any truth to this because I don't know what gears come in an STi but I heard that most imports have lower gears and it gives it a feeling that you are pulling harder but you may not be. I don't just something I heard.
yea, i was stock geared and the STi has 3.90's i think, that makes up for some of it i know.

Cajun Power

Established Member
Good choice. In 03 I look at cobra / sti / evo. I got an evo for dealer support. My dealer has never tried to screw me over. There aren't any Subi or SVT dealers in my town. I would have to drive 1 1/2 hr to the nearest one.

I will be looking again in about a year at the same 3 cars. COBRA (Shelby)/STI/EVO.

For what it is worth, I have opened the exhaust and changed the cam and my EVO at idle sounds like a V-8. At WOT it is loud but not in any way a bumble bee. It is not a honda with a pep-boys muffler. I have a full 3" exhaust right off the turbo all the way straight back to a magnaflow race core muffler. The subi's with an open exhaust sound like 2 harleys in sync. The opposed boxer motor has a unique sound. In NO way is a subi a bumble bee either. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
Nicky P 03 SVT said:
What did you do with the wheels you just bought????
still on the car, the stockers were beat to hell and i didnt want to lose too much on the trade in.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
Cajun Power said:
Good choice. In 03 I look at cobra / sti / evo. I got an evo for dealer support. My dealer has never tried to screw me over. There aren't any Subi or SVT dealers in my town. I would have to drive 1 1/2 hr to the nearest one.

I will be looking again in about a year at the same 3 cars. COBRA (Shelby)/STI/EVO.

For what it is worth, I have opened the exhaust and changed the cam and my EVO at idle sounds like a V-8. At WOT it is loud but not in any way a bumble bee. It is not a honda with a pep-boys muffler. I have a full 3" exhaust right off the turbo all the way straight back to a magnaflow race core muffler. The subi's with an open exhaust sound like 2 harleys in sync. The opposed boxer motor has a unique sound. In NO way is a subi a bumble bee either. :thumbsup:

yea, im starting to notice the sound thing, its not a total v8 sound, but its not high pitched like a civic/accord etc

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Congrats on the new WRX! Very nice trade! I was trying to convince my Dad to buy a wagon last model year when he was looking for something different.

I also can't help but be a little confused as to how you were uncomfortable in you Cobra. I'm 6'4" and am comfortable in mine. Don't even have the seat all of the way back :shrug: Oh well....

Good luck with it! :beer:

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
Tabres said:
Congrats on the new WRX! Very nice trade! I was trying to convince my Dad to buy a wagon last model year when he was looking for something different.

I also can't help but be a little confused as to how you were uncomfortable in you Cobra. I'm 6'4" and am comfortable in mine. Don't even have the seat all of the way back :shrug: Oh well....

Good luck with it! :beer:
Like i said, my legs are pretty big, and im just a big guy, like i said, people always ask me if i play football. Im only about 10 pounds overweight, but i look big :) i actually felt clausterphobic after getting back into the Cobra from the STi :( :(

Last edited:

God

Established Member
coo car i think the 06's look ugly i woulda went 05 Sti

apex632

Established Member
nice purchase. i too am not sure about the 5th gear pulling like 2nd gear thing..and i have had the pleasure of driving an sti and a 99-01 cobra. but i will say i'd rather the sti over the 01 cobra's personally. good luck with the car. but if u decide to do exhaust..u'll be surprised at how much the car wakes up with one.

EZRIDN

Established Member
Nice car. I looked at one a few weeks ago myself. BTW, how are the brakes on it? Any chance that you will put it on a road course??

Does it have the intercooler sprayer?

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
EZRIDN said:
Nice car. I looked at one a few weeks ago myself. BTW, how are the brakes on it? Any chance that you will put it on a road course??

Does it have the intercooler sprayer?
The brakes are great! ill get pics, the calipers are bigger than the cobras.
I may put it on a road course :D :)
yes, it has the sprayer :pepper:

apex632

Established Member
LTHLBLU said:
The brakes are great! ill get pics, the calipers are bigger than the cobras.
I may put it on a road course :D :)
yes, it has the sprayer :pepper:
is it still a manual only intercooler sprayer? that's definatly something the evo's always had over the sti's..they have a computer controlled sprayer which helps. sti's u have to remember to do it.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
apex632 said:
is it still a manual only intercooler sprayer? that's definatly something the evo's always had over the sti's..they have a computer controlled sprayer which helps. sti's u have to remember to do it.
yea, its manual. No biggie tho. The only gripe i have so far would be that the cd changer wont shuffle discs like the Mach 460 could

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
Paul's_03SVT said:
Damn didnt think they were that quick. I cant believe your car pulls as hard in 5th, as mine in 2nd. Anyways enjoy the new ride. :thumbsup: Dont think I like the front end though. :shrug:

His cobra is a 2001.

Users who are viewing this thread