Said goodbye to the snake....*Crappy Pic Warning*

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
Well guys, I went rice, but not the worst rice.
I just got a '06 STI with 200MI today. I traded in the Cobra.

The main reasons were:
1. I wasnt able to fit in the cobra too well anymore, i was about 5'10-5'11 when i got it, now im almost 6'1. Im also a big guy,. I kept hitting my knees and almost wrecked once becuase by knew hit the wheel during a curve.
2. Could have 2 cars, i still live at home and our driveway is packed, my mom just got a new Jeep Grand Cherokee,My old V6,and the dog car, a 1995 subaru legacy wagon, so space is tight.
3. Im beggining(sp?) to start becoming a pro photographer, scenery and autos being my main forte's. I have been going off road for a bit and will be needing to even more, plus my mom has some clients in Tahoe who want my skills, so i cant be worrying about snow.

It has a Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass and Fog Lights. Im going to add a Short Throw shifter to the 6 speed.

I went and test drove one about 2 weeks ago and fell in love.
-There is no turbo lag
-I fit great, plenty of room
-It pulls like the cobra did in 2nd gear when its in 5th.
-A TINY bit better gas milege.
-6 Disc CD
any more info, just ask.

I actually like the new styling and i actually make trade the wing for a base WRX wing.

The only mods i want to do are Intake,Tint,Maybe a Turbo Timer. IF i do exhaust, it will be to make it quiter. It actually doesnt sound too bad IMHO.

Okay, here are the crappy pics, i still have to polish it. Ill get better ones tomorrow.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

*Cliffs* Traded my '01 Cobra for a '06 STi

- Aj -

Established Member
Nice choice. Sky's the limit with that car like the Cobra except this one handles alot better. :thumbsup:

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
- Aj - said:
Nice choice. Sky's the limit with that car like the Cobra except this one handles alot better. :thumbsup:
Yea, i was taking some curves, and was just amazed. :beer:

PoisonSnake

Banned
Wow...were you in the market for an STi or you just went to a dealership and ended up test driving it and trading in the Cobra? Can't do anymore burn-outs now! What were your key decisions that made you go with an STi over an EVO? When you floor it in 2nd gear approx. how long until you start pulling?

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
PoisonSnake said:
Wow...were you in the market for an STi or you just went to a dealership and ended up test driving it and trading in the Cobra? Can't do anymore burn-outs now! What were your key decisions that made you go with an STi over an EVO? When you floor it in 2nd gear approx. how long until you start pulling?
I was thinking of a STi/EVO or a old Explorer (as a second car), so i test drove the STi, and was hooked. I did some research and even tho the EVO is a little faster and a little more Modable, it didnt have cruise, and some EVO owners said that the Mitsubishi service was the worst they have ever seen. Plus is was a little too much $ for what i wanted and i need cruise becuase i do do a lot of long driving. In the cobra, most gears started pulling at around 2.8/3K in the STi,
as soon as you hit 2K, you feel it. It starts going away arounf 6500 rpm, 500 past power peak and 500 before redline.

PIXER

Banned
The previouse owner of my '03 traded his in for a new ('05) STI.
He took me in a ride for it (bought the car at a dealer and then tracked down the old owner)

YOU WILL NEED TO CHANGE THE TIRES, EVEN WITH AWD, IT STILL WILL DO SHITTY IN THE SNOW ON THOSE TIRES

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
I don't think I would have done it but if you like then thats cool , I mean I know they are fast but i would have at least gotten the past model year because the front ends look way better. Anyway I saw what you did with the Cobra so get out there and polish that thing up and post pics.

8urvett

Established Member
Congrats on your purchase, I think you did okay! Your young, you can always come back one day!!! Im also trying to become a photographer, do you have a website or anything set up? I have one at www.photoworkshop.com just look for "8urvett" in the B&V pages or portfolio's!! Check it out if you get a chance!

Juiced-03

Established Member
Well sorry about the loss and congrads on the gain! Hopefully you'll stick around on the forums from time to time and help me answer all the noob detailing questions lmao.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
shauns97cobra said:
hope your not planing to come to tahoe with those tires in the winter.....
Yea, i plan on getting some better tires soon, dont know which ones tho.

sikwitit36

Banned
Theres more leg room in that thing than in the Cobra???? My buddy had an 03 STI and it was small as hell on the inside, I thought. Maybe the interior is more spacious in the 06.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
cool deal man. i traded my 99 lightning for an 05 wrx wagon. i sure do miss the exhaust and torque, but other than that i really like my subie. fit and finish, handling, seats and steering wheel, and over all ergonomics. oh, and the mpg will come up after the break in.

24247-100-27040.jpg

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Well sorry about the loss and congrads on the gain! Hopefully you'll stick around on the forums from time to time and help me answer all the noob detailing questions lmao.
yea, ill still be here, it has tons of swirl marks of course, but just for kicks i cleaned of a part of the hood and polished with Optimum on a polishing pad and it got rid of 99% of the swirls, i plan on washing it/claying/and using optimum followed by FMJ then pink wax. I am aiming to do it saturday..

CPViolation said:
I don't understand... Trading a beautiful sounding V-8 for a ....
Nevermind
o/~ It never rains in California o/~
Yea, i know, thats what i miss most, is the sound, but sound doesnt help in snow or making me fit better :) ;)

8urvett said:
Congrats on your purchase, I think you did okay! Your young, you can always come back one day!!! Im also trying to become a photographer, do you have a website or anything set up? I have one at www.photoworkshop.com just look for "8urvett" in the B&V pages or portfolio's!! Check it out if you get a chance!
yea, www.xmustang.com and http://gallery.xmustang.com Ill be sure to check yours out :)

And to everyone who says the front end sucks, thats fine, i understand, but its like people who say they like the look of the '05s vs new edge, not everyone agrees, but what matters is that i like it :)

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
sikwitit36 said:
Theres more leg room in that thing than in the Cobra???? My buddy had an 03 STI and it was small as hell on the inside, I thought. Maybe the interior is more spacious in the 06.
Yea, i was VERY suprised, i think the main thing, is that the part below the steering wheel is larger and in the STi, it is much smaller. Even my parents said that i looked better in the car whereas i looked "sqeezed" in to the cobra.

ezernut9mm said:
cool deal man. i traded my 99 lightning for an 05 wrx wagon. i sure do miss the exhaust and torque, but other than that i really like my subie. fit and finish, handling, seats and steering wheel, and over all ergonomics. oh, and the mpg will come up after the break in.
yea, i love the interior and dimming mirror. As for the torque, mine feels like it has more than the old snake.

FYI, i think part of the reason it feels stronger is that im at basacially 5000ft elevation so the N/A engines struggle a bit while the turbo is uneffected.

Users who are viewing this thread