S&W vs Springfield Armory

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I've got a Range Officer .45 and SW .40 I like them both and they're what I carry most often, mostly because of the slim profile. Both have performed well for me at the range.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
My local Rural King had a for sale ad for 3 days on the XDS so I didn't have time to rent one or shoot it. Went to the store, held the gun and said where do I sign. I've yet to shoot it but it's a really nice piece and feels great in my hand. Mine is a 9MM

08mojo

Established Member
A Glock is another $100, is ugly as hell and sounds like ****.

It mystifies me how Glock is able to still turn out melted 70's looking plastic guns and people gobble them up.

If I was looking for a standard compact, a used 19 would certainly be on the table however. (Function / Form)

Ugly and sounds like shit? What the **** are you talking about?

Love the folks that hate on glocks for no justified reason. All of mine fire every time I pull the trigger, are accurate as hell and priced reasonably. So, tell me again, what are you looking for in a pistol?

phillycobra99

Established Member
I have a gen 4 G19 that the slide fell off because the slide stop spring fell off/broke. I do like the gun, but this made me doubt their reliability.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Ugly and sounds like shit? What the **** are you talking about?

Love the folks that hate on glocks for no justified reason. All of mine fire every time I pull the trigger, are accurate as hell and priced reasonably. So, tell me again, what are you looking for in a pistol?

Sounds like roaster bruh.

As for shoots every time and accurate. That describes 90% of the name brand handguns out there.

Are you saying a Walther, H&K, Springfield or S&W are not going to shoot straight or work every time?

08mojo

Established Member
Sounds like roaster bruh.

As for shoots every time and accurate. That describes 90% of the name brand handguns out there.

Are you saying a Walther, H&K, Springfield or S&W are not going to shoot straight or work every time?

Yes, I'm saying those guns are not as reliable as glock. Some guns are picky about ammo. I have been at the range and had bullets fail to fire or feed incorrectly in some nice guns. I put the same bullets in my glock and they feed correctly and fire every time.

My glock 26 has never misfired, and I have several thousand rounds through it. My 17, 23, 43, 42 have also been flawless. I have a Sig the will feed incorrectly on rare occasion, but it still haplens. I have an h&k that hates to fire winchester white box rounds. I have a taurus that is an absolute piece of shit.

Im not a diehard fanboy for glock, but they work. For my carry gun, i want what works every time I pull the trigger. There is a reason most law enforcement officers carry glocks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
.......I'm not a diehard fanboy for glock, but they work. For my carry gun, i want what works every time I pull the trigger. There is a reason most law enforcement officers carry glocks.
This! A good friend of mine is a cop in town. While he likes my S&W Shield, his daily carry and personal carry are Glocks. For a reason. His want optimum reliability, and it doesn't get much better than Glock. I still like my S&W, though. ;)

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
I understand people will have preferences about things but I've got to be honest, I've never heard anyone say that a gun "sounds like shit." What exactly does that mean? It doesn't make the right "pew pew" sound for you or something? Honest question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I understand people will have preferences about things but I've got to be honest, I've never heard anyone say that a gun "sounds like shit." What exactly does that mean? It doesn't make the right "pew pew" sound for you or something? Honest question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I was making fun of the word Glock.

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
So I've been eyeballing to XDS and the Shield for sometime. I've watched all the reviews, handled both and will be renting both this weekend for some live-fire trial runs.

One bonus the Shield had was it's made in 'Murica, however, I can't say I'm a huge fan of some of S&W's recent changes like the lawyer lock revolvers.

So, from a organizational point, who gets the thumbs up? S&W or Springfield?

Which state is the Shield actually made it? Who has done more to support the industry, owners rights and what not?

Have you ever tried FN? I have this one:

https://fnamerica.com/products/pistols/fns-9-compact/

I bought it new and have run it through a couple thousand rounds with no issues. Made in the USA.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Most all guns are good. You just gotta select the one that conforms more to your needs and wants. Me? I'm a CZ guy and and haven't looked anywhere in over a decade.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
Yes, I'm saying those guns are not as reliable as glock. Some guns are picky about ammo. I have been at the range and had bullets fail to fire or feed incorrectly in some nice guns. I put the same bullets in my glock and they feed correctly and fire every time.

My glock 26 has never misfired, and I have several thousand rounds through it. My 17, 23, 43, 42 have also been flawless. I have a Sig the will feed incorrectly on rare occasion, but it still haplens. I have an h&k that hates to fire winchester white box rounds. I have a taurus that is an absolute piece of shit.

Im not a diehard fanboy for glock, but they work. For my carry gun, i want what works every time I pull the trigger. There is a reason most law enforcement officers carry glocks.

I can agree with this. I own a S&W Shield 9mm and a M&P40 full-size. I love both guns and wouldn't trade them for anything- but they just aren't as reliable as my Glock 23.

To be fair I've never had a failure on my shield, but my girlfriend has had a few that were likely limp-wrist induced. With that said years ago I got some bullets mixed up on my loading bench and accidentally loaded some .40's outside of the spec for COL (1.150 IIRC). The M&P fell on its face but the Glock kept eating them even with a round outside of the SAAMI specs. Outside of that, I had one FTFeed with some MagTech ammo in the S&W. Never had a hiccup in the Glock. Probably 2000+ rounds in all three guns.

scott_0

Established Member
which Shield are you looking at? I have a Shield 45 and im quite happy with it, I was getting multiple FTF but it has since stopped, Ive put about 600+ rounds through it

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
which Shield are you looking at? I have a Shield 45 and im quite happy with it, I was getting multiple FTF but it has since stopped, Ive put about 600+ rounds through it

So you had issues with a gun that wasn't broken in yet. Tell me more.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Texas DPS was evaluating S&W M&Ps and decided to go back to the SIG P226. I have seen videos/aftermath of the weapon being able to fire when it has not fully returned to battery, which steered me away from the M&P (I stuck to springfield and sig)...The details regarding the DPS were vague, but I would guess FTF, FTE, feed problems with the magazines etc.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Their wheel guns are great, but I am not a fan of Taurus semi-autos. FWIW I have heard they are improved, but I am not ready to spend my money to find out.
I've had poor experience with 2 semi-autos. The dealer ended up taking both back.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Their wheel guns are great, but I am not a fan of Taurus semi-autos. FWIW I have heard they are improved, but I am not ready to spend my money to find out.

Agreed.

To many options on the market to mess with their semi-autos.

With Revolvers you have Taurus, Ruger and S&W are the only game in town anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread