RX8's, WTF are they really thinking...

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Cliff notes version: RX8 goes down hard, wha'd you expect :shrug:

Went out to Pavillions last night to hand a couple of "high power imports" their ass after some extensive shit talking on a local Phoenix board. Of course all the fast cars (the imports ;-) ) never showed up.

So I'm at a stoplight last night on the way home from Pavillions. An Rx8 comes up to the right of me (middle lane) and stops next to me. Didn't even look over at him, waste of time. Light is red for about 30 seconds and I know he can hear my car idling loud as hell. We both had a car in front of us. Light turns green and the guy in the far light lane takes off rather quick, so the Rx8 makes his move over there and I knew it was on. Once clear he slingshots back into the middle lane and floors it. I'm taking my time to make sure I don't cut anyone off. Make it into the middle lane about 4 seconds after the RX8 did and just floor the damn thing in second gear. Rocket past this clown (who is still under full accleration lol) about 4 or 5 seconds after I get into the middle lane and slam on the brakes. Wait till he catches back up and just look at him laughing.

We come up to the next light and he gets in the left turn lane, I get right behind him. Takes off super quick through the turn when the green arrow comes up (must have been trying to impress me with his ~2800 lb handling dream). I'm right on his ass and could have easily passed his junk through the turn; naptime for the full Kenny Brown IRS setup etc. in my car but didn't want to risk an accident with this fool. About 300 feet in front of us was a cop though, so that ended all the fun. Turned right ASAP and went on my merry way.

At least I salvaged an import kill for the night :pepper:

Last edited:

SpdPilot

Established Member
50 BMG said:
I'm right on his ass and could have easily passed his junk through the turn; naptime for the full Kenny Brown IRS setup etc. At least I salvaged an import kill for the night :pepper:

King of the street....eh? Maybe the guy was just wanting to see your car run and thought it would be fun. Not everyone is the enemy out to get you and you have to be jerk to them....... not sure what the point of your story is, but if it make you feel better.....ah nice kill :shrug:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
We come up to the next light and he gets in the left turn lane, I get right behind him. Takes off super quick through the turn when the green arrow comes up (must have been trying to impress me with his ~3800 lb handling dream). I'm right on his ass and could have easily passed his junk through the turn; naptime for the full Kenny Brown IRS setup etc. in my car but didn't want to risk an accident with this fool. About 300 feet in front of us was a cop though, so that ended all the fun. Turned right ASAP and went on my merry way.

awesome! how u like your suspension setup. your settin the car up for autocross kinda stuff werent you?

sometimes a guy knows he'll lose to another car but just wants to see the other car run. i know i'll race anything faster than me just to see how the car runs.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
SpdPilot said:
King of the street....eh? Maybe the guy was just wanting to see your car run and thought it would be fun. Not everyone is the enemy out to get you and you have to be jerk to them....... not sure what the point of your story is, but if it make you feel better.....ah nice kill :shrug:

If he wanted to see my junk run he didn't need to slingshot through traffic. And I ain't anywhere near king of the street out here.

Orr89rocz said:
awesome! how u like your suspension setup. your settin the car up for autocross kinda stuff werent you?

Ya I was but I'd have to notch my frame rails to get the full potential out of the KB system...no thanks I don't want to cut up my car like that. I don't have the time or energy to commit to road racing or auto-xing my car.

So I'm putting a solid into the car and a single turbo...and I'll still be slower than 3 or 4 other cobras out here (among other cars).

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
50 BMG said:
Cliff notes version: RX8 goes down hard, wha'd you expect :shrug:

Went out to Pavillions last night to hand a couple of "high power imports" their ass after some extensive shit talking on a local Phoenix board. Of course all the fast cars (the imports ;-) ) never showed up.

So I'm at a stoplight last night on the way home from Pavillions. An Rx8 comes up to the right of me (middle lane) and stops next to me. Didn't even look over at him, waste of time. Light is red for about 30 seconds and I know he can hear my car idling loud as hell. We both had a car in front of us. Light turns green and the guy in the far light lane takes off rather quick, so the Rx8 makes his move over there and I knew it was on. Once clear he slingshots back into the middle lane and floors it. I'm taking my time to make sure I don't cut anyone off. Make it into the middle lane about 4 seconds after the RX8 did and just floor the damn thing in second gear. Rocket past this clown (who is still under full accleration lol) about 4 or 5 seconds after I get into the middle lane and slam on the brakes. Wait till he catches back up and just look at him laughing.

We come up to the next light and he gets in the left turn lane, I get right behind him. Takes off super quick through the turn when the green arrow comes up (must have been trying to impress me with his ~3800 lb handling dream). I'm right on his ass and could have easily passed his junk through the turn; naptime for the full Kenny Brown IRS setup etc. in my car but didn't want to risk an accident with this fool. About 300 feet in front of us was a cop though, so that ended all the fun. Turned right ASAP and went on my merry way.

At least I salvaged an import kill for the night :pepper:

Are you still on the stock Eaton? I was always wondering if you got cams in preparation for something else - apparently a turbo?

SLVRF16

Established Member
Good worthless kill! :thumbsup:

The tables would turn if you were on a road racing course though.. remember they may not be fast, but they would probably own a Cobra through a road course - especially a suped up Cobra.

-M

jboss11

Established Member
SLVRF16 said:

The tables would turn if you were on a road racing course though.. remember they may not be fast, but they would probably own a Cobra through a road course - especially a suped up Cobra.

-M

If they made up any ground at all. It would be made up and surpassed in the straights. :sleeping:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
Are you still on the stock Eaton? I was always wondering if you got cams in preparation for something else - apparently a turbo?

I bought cams for the twinscrew. I threw a ported eaton on there cause they're cheap and it would have only cost me about 300 bucks in the loss I would have taken when I sold the eaton and went to the Whipple.

The cams worked on the Eaton though. It put down 535/530 at the tire on 16 PSI last weekend. 1700 ft., over 100 degrees outside and on 91 craptane from QuikTrip when it made the pull. Gonna throw it on the dyno with my 101 tune and see what it does before I tear it apart.

For everyone else reading in the 03/04 camp, my crower cams work just fine :rollseyes

SLVRF16 said:

The tables would turn if you were on a road racing course though..

-M

Hardly, especially against that RX8. Mabey on an autocross course. It's hard to find OEM suspension parts on my car...the swaybars come to mind...not much else though. All Maximum Motorsports and Kenny Brown junk...

SLVRF16

Established Member
jboss11 said:
If they made up any ground at all. It would be made up and surpassed in the straights. :sleeping:

50 bmg said:
Hardly, especially against that RX8. Mabey on an autocross course. It's hard to find OEM suspension parts on my car...the swaybars come to mind...not much else though. All Maximum Motorsports and Kenny Brown junk...

I just finished road-racing today with a friend of mine that owns an RX-8..it ROCKED!! ;-)

One thing I learned while at my first road-race is that it all depends on the track. If you go to the one in WillowSprings, you'll have a hard time making any ground because there are more turns than straights. Therefore, you WOULD get owned. :coolman:

-M

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
SLVRF16 said:
I just finished road-racing today with a friend of mine that owns an RX-8..it ROCKED!! ;-)

One thing I learned while at my first road-race is that it all depends on the track. If you go to the one in WillowSprings, you'll have a hard time making any ground because there are more turns than straights. Therefore, you WOULD get owned. :coolman:

-M

Bold statement having never been in my car...

ChuckV

Established Member
RX8s don't really handle nearly as well as people give them credit for, and 03 Cobras handle a lot better than people give them credit for. My stock Cobra can take take the majority of corners within 80% of the speed that my Boxster S can, and I assure you, my Boxster S handles rings around any RX8.

To be honest, the only improvement over the 03 Cobra that I've felt from the RX8s I've driven is steering feel. They seem to offer no greater grip or stability, and whats more, they seem much more prone to understeer.

SLVRF16

Established Member
50 BMG said:
Bold statement having never been in my car...

True. However, I have been in a Cobra - and it's suspension is definitely not as stable as an RX-8. No matter how much suspension mods you have, I don't think (with the extreme power of the Cobra) that you'd ever have as much finesse in a road course against a lighter, more agile and linear accelerating well-suspensioned RX8. But that's just my educated opinion.. ;-)

Basically my point is: respect the RX8 for it's finesse rather than it's power output (which would never match a Cobra's).

-M

Last edited:

SLVRF16

Established Member
ChuckV said:
RX8s don't really handle nearly as well as people give them credit for,

I disagree. They are a great handling car and very neutral.

and 03 Cobras handle a lot better than people give them credit for.

I disagree there too. Riding in my friend's Cobra with 560wrhp was a frightening experience. I could immediately tell how unstable it became at high speeds, and it's turning was pretty clumsy. Granted, he didn't have a coilover system, but I think the RX8 feels so much more stable.

To be honest, the only improvement over the 03 Cobra that I've felt from the RX8s I've driven is steering feel. They seem to offer no greater grip or stability, and whats more, they seem much more prone to understeer.

Yep, the RX8 does tend to understeer (which I felt today on the road-course), and that surprised me being a RWD. But I think they seem to offer better grip for the simple fact that the Cobra has too much torque to control.

-M

Akuma

Established Member
SLVRF16 said:

-M

LOL, yeah right... I f*cking owned a Rx8 along with many 911's at Willow. And if your talking streets of willow, come and play on the big boys track.

50's car would own a stock Rx8 any day of the week at Willow; I should know, the suspension that is in his car was in my 04 Cobra.

SLVRF16

Established Member
Akuma said:
LOL, yeah right... I f*cking owned a Rx8 along with many 911's at Willow.

50's car would own a stock Rx8 any day of the week at Willow; I should know, the suspension that is in his car was in my 04 Cobra.

I'm not going to turn this into a big-d*** contest over handling.

Here are my thoughts (and they can't change unless I experience otherwise): RX8 with stock suspension > Cobra with stock suspension on a road course. RX8 with aftermarket suspension > Cobra with aftermarket suspension on a road course. Anything else is not a fair comparison.

-M

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
SLVRF16 said:
I'm not going to turn this into a big-d*** contest over handling.

You already did...

SLVRF16 said:
Here are my thoughts (and they can't change unless I experience otherwise):

You've made that clear as soon as you assumed about my junk.

SLVRF16 said:
RX8 with stock suspension > Cobra with stock suspension on a road course.

Perhaps, too busy to go look up slalom and skidpad numbers to give 2 shits. Concerning lap times...well nevermind.

SLVRF16 said:
Anything else is not a fair comparison.

Spout off this yet you have the balls to say I'd get "owned" by a stock RX8 at willow...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread