Rust Concern or Not

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Hello, I’m looking at a sub 10k mile, one owner Cobra that is stock wearing the original tires, valve stem caps, bilsteins, pulley looks original etc. The car looks clean outside and inside. My concern and I’m not sure if there is a concern at all is the half shafts on the IRS where the CV boots are is showing a lot of surface rust. Forgive me if I didn’t appropriately describe that but that metal looks orange. I looked at some underside pics of cobras on bring a trailer and even those suspension components on the low mile ones seem to have some of that metal orange rust look.

So is it normal or a concern? This was an east coast car.

The underside on this car appears to be really nice aside from the rust I described. Looks like it wasn’t ever driven in the rain or very light weather if any. Still has the barcode assembly stickers with the birth date on the underside bumpers and even found a crumpled up paper that was intact and looks like the build sheet stuck up under the car.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
All the half shafts I've seen, look to have light surface rust. When I had mine off for the FTBR bushing install, I cleaned them up and put a light coat of black rustoleum on them.

MG0h3

Established Member
I want to say mine have a very light discoloration like that but I wouldn’t call it rust. Never paid much attention. There is no other rust at all on my car.

You’ll see rust in other places way before the half shafts so if you don’t see it anywhere else, I wouldn’t worry.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Also what is a fair price for the car in todays market. Is 30k fair?

I just remembered there was also some rust look on the metal gasket between the engine block and transmission. Like the area where you would get to the flywheel. Any concern? Or normal for age?

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
There’s no gasket between the block and trans but it can be referred to as a block plate. Just a piece of sheet metal that’s unfinished so it can def rust.

Sounds like you better do a visual but if you’re not finding rust on the bottom of the radiator support and other thin sheet metal areas, I wouldn’t worry.

Look for places that water can get trapped on the bottom of a car like seams, fender lips, etc.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
I will look at the radiator support. I appreciate the guidance and if you or anyone have more I’m all ears

MG0h3

Established Member
There’s a Terminator FAQ that Cobrabob created in the Terminator section.

Not sure if this is your first time with one.

Beauty of a low mile one owner car is that you “should” be getting a no story car with no drama.

Never know though.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
There’s a Terminator FAQ that Cobrabob created in the Terminator section.

Not sure if this is your first time with one.

Beauty of a low mile one owner car is that you “should” be getting a no story car with no drama.

Never know though.

@CobraBob do you have a link. The one in the sticky appears to be broken

big dad

Established Member
I know exactly what you're referring about. I taped mine off and used the Rustoleum rust reformer paint that converts rust to a paintable surface. Good stuff. Btw my car has 2300 miles, never been driven in the rain or any inclement weather and the axles still had surface rust.

josephcostello

Established Member
What others said is spot on. Look over the rest of the car in the more rust prone spots to decipher the true status of the car. If there's no signs of it anywhere else, rust on the half shafts wouldn't concern me one bit. OP - if you want to see a bad example of a 70k mile rusted 03 from Chicago, shoot me a PM and i'll send you some undercarriage pics of one with rust front to back.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
I’d attach a video of the engine bay but don’t know how. I’ll attach this picture where there is rust showing on one of the shock towers. Thoughts?

Attachments

• A0FE82BE-90F5-4746-82E0-728B4BDE38C6.jpeg
    A0FE82BE-90F5-4746-82E0-728B4BDE38C6.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 84

MG0h3

Established Member
I think some of the rust you are seeing is just inherent to its regional location.

My car has always been in a dry climate so that’s not an issue.

It becomes a problem when you start seeing all the bolt heads rusted and a big warning is the thin sheet metal areas around the radiator support and fenders.

So far what we’re seeing seems normal and nothing to be alarmed about.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
All the stuff you pointed out can be cleaned up, painted or even polished. Here is the nut, end strut threads and hydro-boost lines that I cleaned and polished.

Strut and CC Plate 004.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread