Running water only or water+water wetter

ThongPocket

Established Member
I was told by someone to run water and a bottle of water wetter only in my car since I live in Charelston SC and it rarely gets cold here let alone freezing. I'm about to install my hard tanks for overflow and intercooler and also replace my busted radiator so I wanted to get some input. I was just going to do 50/50 mix and a bottle of water wetter but i'm open to suggestions.

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
I've heard you should run at least some coolant in your IC system to keep the pump lubricated. So maybe a really dilluted 80/20 or 90/10 mix for the IC.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if you want to run straight water, they sell water pump lube and corrosion inhibitor to keep the ph balance low on the alkaline side.

but I heard that if you don't run coolant in your system and still have functioning a/c, it could spot freeze it. that is because on the mustang the a/c evaporator core sits upstream and blows the ice cold air through the heater core at all times when the a/c is on. not sure if there is any truth to that or not.

on a street car I wouldn't do it, just go with the standard 50/50 mix

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I run 20/80 coolant/water, but doesn't get very cold here and my car lives in the garage. I'm not a fan of the water additives as I've issues with them foaming even using less than the recommended levels. I'd stick with 50/50 in your case.

Crusher9008

Established Member
I heard from someone that using the standard blue windshield washer solvent would work in the I/C tank. Has anyone heard this?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Never heard about using windshield washer fluid. You can use straight water and a additive, just make sure you mix it according to the directions. I choose amsoil coolant boost over water wetter. Also read up on the right type of water to use..... It's not distilled......

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Coolant + Water-Wetter = soap suds.

LOL

Watter Wetter in the presents of glycol has the same affect as adding a guppy to your 75 gallon aquarium. Ya don't really notice either of them.

With the HE coolant only getting luke warm your gunna have a hard time getting it to shed more heat. My biggest concern here would be corrosion. 50/50 mix will work "almost" as well and no worries :)

Users who are viewing this thread