Running 87 octane after removing belt?

Rainman15

Petey RIP 04/29/05
Established Member
Looks like I'm the only guy that has actually done this so I'll give you an answer without the flames. When I was running my 8lb lower I started getting a knocking sound at idle so I pulled the belt attempting to narrow down what they source of the sound was. I just let it idle and no noise, but I drove around the block without the blower belt and holy shit detonation detonation detonation!!!! After much more troubleshooting I found the problem was my idle was set too low causing the belt to make that noise. I reburned the chip to bump the idle up 200rpm's and problem solved. Bottom line, NO you can't just run the truck without the belt.

DX NumNutz

Taking Donations
Established Member
Rainman15 said:
Looks like I'm the only guy that has actually done this so I'll give you an answer without the flames. When I was running my 8lb lower I started getting a knocking sound at idle so I pulled the belt attempting to narrow down what they source of the sound was. I just let it idle and no noise, but I drove around the block without the blower belt and holy shit detonation detonation detonation!!!! After much more troubleshooting I found the problem was my idle was set too low causing the belt to make that noise. I reburned the chip to bump the idle up 200rpm's and problem solved. Bottom line, NO you can't just run the truck without the belt.

Thanks!

LightningMAS

Banned
DX NumNutz said:
So I was trolling another set of forums and saw a post by someone stating that if we removed our supercharger belt, we could then run 87 octane. Is there any truth to this? Have you done it? Side effects?

wtf? u smoking to much crack or something.. go ahead and blow ur truck up.. all i'll do is laugh at u! :rollseyes

DX NumNutz

Taking Donations
Established Member
LightningMAS said:
wtf? u smoking to much crack or something.. go ahead and blow ur truck up.. all i'll do is laugh at u! :rollseyes

:nono: Hey go **** yourself assbag. Why do you think I asked the question?

Oh **** me...........I forgot.......... everyone who buys a goddamn lightning is a mechanic. :poke:

chuchomula

"Rehab'd Ricer"
Established Member
I found a Geo Metro today...$900 with ac. Only one problem in the pics it looks pink (lol). I am going to call tomorrow and ask. That will be funniest thing ever, going from my L as my DD to a 3 cyl Metro.

I posted this in another thread. This is my suggestion to you, keep the L as is and find a beater.

OH-MAN

Established Member
I would not consider this as an option ( running w/o the blower) but the main thing to remember is there is no knock sensor. If the motor keeps the timing high and it pings it will hurt itself. Will the computer adjust for no blower? I do not know.
Listen carefully to the engine as you will be the only way to detect detonation.
Not worth the chance in my opinion.

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
Man, I had no idea that many Lightning owners were dcikheads.

At least he got a reasonable answer out of a few of ya.

CYA-LS1

F'n sexy
Established Member
samill2 said:

I have got to say that there is more dickhead cobra owners out there than lightning's. Don't get mad that a lightning can smoke you and than tow you home :rockon:

Davesvt00

Established Member
Hey guys lay off! This was a legitimate question. I'm over in Italy where I have no choice but to run 87 Octane. It the difference between paying $60 (military discount) for a tank of gas of 87 octane and paying $120 (no military discount on premium) for 92. I just have to suck it up and try to stay out of the boost. That and I had to buy myself a beater to commute back and forth to work. I for one wanted to hear some reasonable answers.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
wow, even tho this is old i cant belive some of you guys.
the guy asked a question and most of you tear into him like he was banging your sister like a screen door in a 'cane in YOUR bed.
if your gona be that big of a dick just dont respond to the thread

slow1998gt

Established Member
Everyone who said just stay out of the boost and u will be fine are all dumb. There is always boost at any rpm. Anyways to answer that question look at what the gas mileage is on a regular 5.4 standard cab. Its not much better than a L. Life is short enjoy ur truck and spend the extra $. I have an 04 L and pulling my boat to Vegas I got almost 15 mpg. Not bad.

bwkelley76

bwkelley76
Established Member
chuchomula said:
I found a Geo Metro today...$900 with ac. Only one problem in the pics it looks pink (lol). I am going to call tomorrow and ask. That will be funniest thing ever, going from my L as my DD to a 3 cyl Metro.

I posted this in another thread. This is my suggestion to you, keep the L as is and find a beater.
LOL! hey, Maaco has the 199 dollar special right now!!!..or whatever the price is on the "embassador paint job" ..BTW I owned a Geo Metro as a commuter about 6 years ago, and it got like 60 mpg on the highway. Not bad power for a little 3 banger either. Brandon K.

bwkelley76

bwkelley76
Established Member
..about The Belt Question

I'm curious why all the detonation without the belt on the S/C..? Anyways, I'd talk to a tuner about getting an "econo-tune, or maybe a "flip-chip" that you can switch back and forth on the fly from econo to a 91 race tune. I'd like to better my fuel mileage as well, but I've noticed the only way to do it is to pretend there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal, and that you do not want to crack it. ..another words stay out of the boost and you'll get 15mpg, versus 11.5 If you do figure something out that works, let me know. BK

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
CYA-LS1 said:
I have got to say that there is more dickhead cobra owners out there than lightning's. Don't get mad that a lightning can smoke you and than tow you home :rockon:

There probably are more dickhead cobra owners but thats because there are more cobra's. These guys were being kinda dicks instead of just answering the guys simple question.

The SC is always turning but that doesn't mean it is always creating boost. Boost is only created when the SC is pushing more air than what the engine can take in through natural airflow. If you drive like an average car the 87 will not detonate but if you get on it, it will cause trouble.

I got my Metro a week ago, $800 & cheap insurance, sucks having 55HP but 40mpg on 87 is worth it for my winter and 110 mile a day round trip drive to work.

203Cree

Established Member
samill2 said:

It's not so much that we're assholes as you're just oversensitive. See, there aren't many L owners on this site. There are however, lot's of Cobra's. This section is pretty tight knit and we give each other a rash of shit from time to time. Cobra owners are usually just assholes period. Go back there if you wanna make nice with everyone.

stubbs

Established Member
dirtchicken said:
Yes you can run 87 octane with the belt still on. It's called staying OUT of boost when you drive. :xpl:

ive done this, puting 87 in wastes just as much gas, keep the 93 in

stubbs

Established Member
lightninmike said:
wow, even tho this is old i cant belive some of you guys.
the guy asked a question and most of you tear into him like he was banging your sister like a screen door in a 'cane in YOUR bed.
if your gona be that big of a dick just dont respond to the thread

thats what i say this forum is put up for advice not smart ass comments and stupid remarks if you want to do that go somewhere else

Users who are viewing this thread