Running 87 octane after removing belt?

DX NumNutz

Taking Donations
Established Member
So I was trolling another set of forums and saw a post by someone stating that if we removed our supercharger belt, we could then run 87 octane. Is there any truth to this? Have you done it? Side effects?

DX NumNutz

Taking Donations
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
Might as well trade the Lightning in for a 4.2L F150 or a 2.3L Ranger and run 87.

What? Thats not what I asked. Stick to the topic please.

What if I want to keep my Lightning, run 87 octane during my daily commutes (after removing belt) and then revert back to running 91 or 93 octane at the track or whatever?

nicktoney

weeee
Established Member
i wonder how off the mixture would be... because it wouldnt be poundin in air, so maybe youd be running retardedly rich? if this works, thatd be a good idea though...

rphinney

Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
Might as well trade the Lightning in for a 4.2L F150 or a 2.3L Ranger and run 87.

+1 if you are considering this you are a tard and need to immediatly report to the Scion dealership!

Chi3f

Established Member
rphinney said:
+1 if you are considering this you are a tard and need to immediatly report to the Scion dealership!

my thoughts exactly... if you want to save money buy a beater geo metro or a civic. get 30+ miles a gallon on 87 instead of still getting 13-16. If you drive enough to even think of running 87 in the lightning then the beater will pay for itself in no time...

DX NumNutz

Taking Donations
Established Member
Chi3f said:
my thoughts exactly... if you want to save money buy a beater geo metro or a civic. get 30+ miles a gallon on 87 instead of still getting 13-16. If you drive enough to even think of running 87 in the lightning then the beater will pay for itself in no time...
True, but still does not answer my question.

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
Whats with all the Scion bashing!
Lightning_6_5_009_small.jpg

BTW get a Predator, it has a 87 Octane tune. Though it looks to me like your going to drop well over 100 hp. and might have to be in the boost to drive the damn thing, thus getting worse milage. If your all on the freeway i don't see an issue. That's my plan when i run up to Presscott, run 87 on the freeway. Flat freeway I'll take the $0.20 less a gallon, But at current prices with my current milage it just doesn't work out on the wallet. Currently on 91@$2.75 a gallon I'm paying $0.18 a mile. Figure dropping 3 mpg for 87 octane @ $2.50 a gallon You'd pay $0.19 a mile
BTW in my wifes Scion we're paying $0.07 a mile.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
DX NumNutz said:
What? Thats not what I asked. Stick to the topic please.

What if I want to keep my Lightning, run 87 octane during my daily commutes (after removing belt) and then revert back to running 91 or 93 octane at the track or whatever?

You can probably run 87 if you run stock or lower than stock boost and retard the hell out of the timing. Then just stay off the boost.

You could also buy a cheap beater for commutes that gets 30 mpg and keeps the mileage off your L.

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
The only bad thing about taking the belt off is,when a SRT10 pulls along side of you.It happens to me all the time when I use to drive my wifes mustang gt...Everybody and there mother would try and race me.Then I take my L out and there is no one in sight.. ;-) These trucks are extremely slow with out the blower.... Just a thought.. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
DX NumNutz said:
So I was trolling another set of forums and saw a post by someone stating that if we removed our supercharger belt, we could then run 87 octane. Is there any truth to this? Have you done it? Side effects?

RICE! :bash:

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
If your worried about the gas,You could always remove 4 spark plugs and run on 4 cylinders... :beer: :banana:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread