Royal Purple Max Gear with "Synerlec"

starnsey

Established Member
Quick question. I've got two bottles of 75W-140 royal purple gear oil. One is older than the other. The newer one states "with friction modifier" but the older one doesn't. However, they both say "with Synetec." Just wondering, is the "Synetec" the friction modifier or does the older bottle likely not have the friction modifier?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Quick question. I've got two bottles of 75W-140 royal purple gear oil. One is older than the other. The newer one states "with friction modifier" but the older one doesn't. However, they both say "with Synetec." Just wondering, is the "Synetec" the friction modifier or does the older bottle likely not have the friction modifier?

All Royal Purple Max Gear oils have always come with limited slip friction modifier and all Max Gear oils have our proprietary Synerlec additive technology.

Labels however have changed from time to time.

Synerlec is not a limited slip friction modifier.
Synerlec: Synerlec | Lubricant Additives | Royal Purple

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Jimmy,

I know that some blenders tech support can tell you at what percentage content friction modifier is contained. Could you possible tell me what RP's gear oil contains?

I know with Amsoil Severe Gear, their top tier, it contains some FM.....however, with Ford/Eaton clutch differentials, I've noticed some clutch pack noises if you don't use an additional 2 ounces of modifier.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy,

I know that some blenders tech support can tell you at what percentage content friction modifier is contained. Could you possible tell me what RP's gear oil contains?

I know with Amsoil Severe Gear, their top tier, it contains some FM.....however, with Ford/Eaton clutch differentials, I've noticed some clutch pack noises if you don't use an additional 2 ounces of modifier.

While I do not know the ounces, I've been told it is dosed at a relatively high level so as to be appropriate for high bias but stock high performance vehicle production type limited slip units.

After a fluid change it is generally a good practice to do about 8 to 10 SLOW, TIGHT, figure 8s right afterwards. This works the additive in the new fluid in to clutches right away and might take care of that issue.

Even if I knew the actual dosing it would be different for an oil company than a user buying it from normal retail sources.

There is carrier oil in bottles that you buy from the dealer or parts store and a small percentage of the bottle will have LSD FM additive.

Where as we buy pure additive in a highly concentrated form from the additive companies with no carrier oil, so the amount in ounces or percentages would be pretty much irrelevant because the dosing would be very different.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Jimmy,

and i was going to ask you if i should pick up some FM with my amsoil gear lube!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
and i was going to ask you if i should pick up some FM with my amsoil gear lube!

It's not required for the life long endurance of the Differential, but using 2 ounces of it will eliminate slight slipping noises of the clutch packs on slow speed sharp turns. You can only hear it with the windows down while you are in a full turn (i.e. in a parking lot).

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I run RP 75w140 in the SVTP F-350s diffs with no FM. No clutch noise from it either. However, the stock LSD in that truck is so pitiful that it might as well be an open diff. If I ever get the chance I'm dumping that thing for a True-Trac (the 2011+ stock locker would be nice too).

Users who are viewing this thread