Royal Purple Is The Devil IMO!!!

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
For a year and a half, I've been trying to diagnose my notchy low-rpm shifting, and inablility to shift above 4500. I've changed the clutch quadrant, firewall adjuster, and verified that the clutch is engaging. Nothing helped and I was 2 days from ordering a brand new T56. And then I got a piece of advise from a random source that paid off. This may have been mentioned before, but I never happened upon it. Anyway, Royal Purple apparently has a tendency to cause blocking rings to stick to the gears and actually makes it virtually impossible to shift, and the T56 is notorious for not agreeing with anything other than plain jane DEXIII. So, I threw out my $12/qt RP and put in some $3/qt Motorcraft brand and holy $hit!!! It shifts smoother than my T5. I never thought something as simple as tranny fluid would make so much of a difference. I just wanted to pass this on to all the folks who have horrible shifting like I did. It may not always fix your issues, buts it's definitely a cheap place to start. Just because something costs more, doesn't neccessarily make it perform better. :dancenana:

TRBO VNM

part of the reason I use factory fluids in certain parts of the car. also when I had my fox body and put a tremec 3550 in there, the shop did not use the recommended fluid. the tranny lasted 2 months.

Jefe

Established Member
Wow....what are you using in the rear end? Motor?

futureSVT

Established Member
uptonmustang how long have you had the Rp in the trans?? was the shifting problem before the Rp or after?

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
I have to concur, I only put fluids that are recommended by the manufacture in all my cars. and never had a failure

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
I've had her for a year and half and she's shifted poorly the whole time. When I got it, the previous owner had RP coursing though her veins and I assumed it was burnt and I changed it at time of purchase, but it has always been excessively poor/ notchy. A local outfit here in Grand Forks informed me of the incompatiblity and I thought it was worth a shot before dumping a ton into a new tranny. Glad I took a chance.

As far as rear, Mobil 1 syn w/Ford FM is the only way to go. My 2 cents.

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
Sorry, forgot the motor oil... Mobil 1 Full Syn 5w20. And just so everyone understands me, I don't hate RP. I've used it in countless Si's and SRT's, but in my case with my T56, it was nothing but a 500 day headache. Props to those that have it with no ill affects.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread