Roush Stage 3 Aluminator Phase 3

rrg9946

Established Member
I am in the process of ordering one of these cars. Any thoughts? I did not know where to post this thread. I figured here would be the most relavent forum. Curious to see what Shelby owners think of this car.

Bllit11

Established Member
Cool the only problem i would have is the mt82 trans if it's an automatic i would say way cool.

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
Saw a video on youtube of this car vs a Trinity GT500. I think the Roush was trapping about .2-.3 seconds faster on average in the 1/4. Still the GT500 is the car for me as I belieive it to have a better supporting transmission and modifications.

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Thought I read the Stage 3 / Phase 3 package sold for north of 80K. For that $$$$, I would look at a base GT500 & a S/S package.
Roush makes a nice package, but at the end of the day, it's a modded GT !!

Grabber07'

Established Member
Saw a video on youtube of this car vs a Trinity GT500. I think the Roush was trapping about .2-.3 seconds faster on average in the 1/4. Still the GT500 is the car for me as I belieive it to have a better supporting transmission and modifications.

Now sure who was driving the shelby, but that video was not a true representation of the matchup in my opinion. Looked like a Roush Advertisement. Guy that posted the video is John Trischler, works for the "#1 Roush dealer in america", not one sided at all hehe.

In the Shelby they were running 12.6, then 12.4 @116mph, 12.24 @ 115mph....... Horrible trap speeds. Looked to me in the first couple of races they were missing gears and fighting for traction...poor driving overall. Heck I managed a 12.3 @ 118 in my stock 2010 GT500. Depending on elevation of course, but using that Roush as a bench mark, something doesnt add up. Heck Stock 5.0 GT's are running mid to high 12 stock...

Roush ran a best of 11.6 (didnt show the MPH) to the Shelbys 12.24 @ 115mph. Shelby is a perfectly capable mid to high 11 second car at mid 120s.

Here is the video NEW 2014 ROUSH STAGE 3 ALUMINATOR vs SHELBY GT500 COBRA MUSTANG RS3 DRAG RACE 14 13 2013 15 2015 - YouTube

With that said, I like the Roush. I just have a problem paying for essentially a modified GT. Vin shows a GT on resale, and the market is always up in the air concerning the Roush cars.

Shelby would be my choice.

Last edited:

Colleton

Established Member
The guy in the Roush was the better driver. That or the whole thing was a set up, which is what I really think.

To me, Roush today is what Shelby was in the 1960's, except that they have better engineering and development than Shelby ever did. I like them quite a bit, and if the GT500 did not exist I'd probably be driving an RS3 right now.

My local dealership says that they sell way more Roushes than they do GT500s, simply because the Roush cars get all of the discounts and rebates that the regular GT gets. The sales manager says that people start out wanting the GT500, until they see the numbers, then they go for the Roush because they end up being cheaper out the door. He actually said that he uses a Shelby in the showroom to sell Roushes. lol

rrg9946

Established Member
Thought I read the Stage 3 / Phase 3 package sold for north of 80K. For that $$$$, I would look at a base GT500 & a S/S package.
Roush makes a nice package, but at the end of the day, it's a modded GT !!

The car I ordered is $67k after rebates. It might be just a modded GT, but the car will have the engine I have been wanting with a warranty because it is a manufacture built car not a tuner after market car. And I won't be seeing them all over the place as I do the GT500. You also have to remember that at the end of the day the GT 500 is just a mustang with the Shelby name. I love the GT 500 but I've been wanting a built 5.0 with a warranty and the Boss engine wasn't it for me.

Grabber07'

Established Member
The car I ordered is $67k after rebates. It might be just a modded GT, but the car will have the engine I have been wanting with a warranty because it is a manufacture built car not a tuner after market car. And I won't be seeing them all over the place as I do the GT500. You also have to remember that at the end of the day the GT 500 is just a mustang with the Shelby name. I love the GT 500 but I've been wanting a built 5.0 with a warranty and the Boss engine wasn't it for me.

And now we figured out why you came here to ask the question haha

Just a mustang with the Shelby name....Gotcha

Im glad you came here trying to justify your purchase, but I have to disagree. Enjoy your GT that has been modded by Roush, because thats just what it is. It is not a FORD product. Roush purchased an allotment of standard base model GT's and puts their body kits, suspension, and depending on package a motor with supercharger, then dealers order them.

By the way it is warrantied through Roush, not Ford BECAUSE it is an after market tuner car from...dah dah dah ROUSH. They took the standard 5.0 from the GT and beefed it up internally for a substantial price increase with the Phase 3 package. Which you could have done for FAR CHEAPER than dropping $67k on a built 5.0.

Youve been wanting a built 5.0 with a warranty? Well you got and and paid more for it than a BUILT 5.8L with a Ford warranty. :nonono:

If a Built 5.0 is your wish, you could have purchased an optioned GT and had the motor built for a ton less. Heck you could have built multiple 5.0s and had back ups in case of failure. You essentially paid $37k more than a GT for a $7k motor? (which is what you can purchase an aftermarket Aluminator for)

Go look at the value of a 2006, 2007, 2008 Roush and tell me what they are worth today. Do not want to see the hit you are going to take if you sell in 5 yrs.

Last edited:

rrg9946

Established Member
The guy in the Roush was the better driver. That or the whole thing was a set up, which is what I really think.

To me, Roush today is what Shelby was in the 1960's, except that they have better engineering and development than Shelby ever did. I like them quite a bit, and if the GT500 did not exist I'd probably be driving an RS3 right now.

My local dealership says that they sell way more Roushes than they do GT500s, simply because the Roush cars get all of the discounts and rebates that the regular GT gets. The sales manager says that people start out wanting the GT500, until they see the numbers, then they go for the Roush because they end up being cheaper out the door. He actually said that he uses a Shelby in the showroom to sell Roushes. lol

The RS3 does sell well. But the Phase 3 which has the Aluminator engine is not as common.

As far as better driver; think about this. It's a lighter car, more power, & better suspension as well as better tires.

Grabber07'

Established Member
The RS3 does sell well. But the Phase 3 which has the Aluminator engine is not as common.

As far as better driver; think about this. It's a lighter car, more power, & better suspension as well as better tires.

The MPH tells all here. 115-116mph.....what gear did they miss? How much lighter? 200lbs if that? Heck the torque on the GT500 will make up for that as compared to the Roush. 630ftlbs compared to 585 for the GT/Roush

Shelby "when driven correctly" is perfectly capable to 60ft just fine and trap 125mph

You are still trying to justify your order to SHELBY OWNERS. At the end of the day, the Roush is still just a GT. Its your money, buy what you like. But trying to convince us that the Roush is a better over all car and buy is ludicrous.

Heres a good read. Someone just like you came on here doing the same thing earlier this year. Lots of different opinions in there. Some share yours, some share mine. In the end, your money. Careful with that crappy GT manual tranny though. Also dont ever trade it in or have a wreck and have to deal with insurance. You get GT pricing....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/935056-gt500-roush-rs3-w-aluminator-option.html

Last edited:

rrg9946

Established Member
I'm not on here trying to receive approvals or justifications for my likes. I just wanted to know what this market thought if the car. Either way all if your opinions are appreciated. Any others are welcome. It will only keep me more informed. Thanks again.

Grabber07'

Established Member
I'm not on here trying to receive approvals or justifications for my likes. I just wanted to know what this market thought if the car. Either way all if your opinions are appreciated. Any others are welcome. It will only keep me more informed. Thanks again.

Gotcha, my apologies if I came off as such. Just my personal opinion/view of a Roush car and of course I can be passionate about the Shelby. It is my second one after a short stint with a Z06.

Very cool video of Carrol Shelby with the 2013 GT500. To me its not just a Name, it carries with it so much more than that. The Roush name just doesnt/wont carry the same weight in my opinion now or in the future.

2013 Ford Shelby GT500 & Carroll Shelby - YouTube

Good luck with your decision

nocobrafornow

Established Member
rrg9946, you should be posting in the 2011 up mustang section about your car unless your just trying to get a comparison of your car vs the Shelby. if your wanting info on your car you will have more luck in our section as more of us are there. im sure we all go back and forth between rooms but if you want to get info or answers faster that is where you should post.

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member

I wouldnt venture too far to say its lighter. A GT's curb weight is around 3650lbs, add a Supercharger with the supporting hardware and you venture close to GT500 weight territory without the strength and the reliability the GT500's are known for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread