roush f150 filling the lightning void?

SlowSVT95

Banned
Established Member
99_venum said:
What he said :lol:

I like the Lightning package. It has mucho power, it stops, turns and rides great. What more could you ask for? Ok, pulley, tune, slicks, trac bars and the list goes on :beer:

Lightning.jpg
She.... But yeah I agree :beer:

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
dont like that paint job, but the over all look of the Roush is good, Id never get one instead of either gen Lightning, but it would be nice to complement my Lightning.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
If the Lightning engine is finished production-wise then Ford trucks are like boats dragging their anchors until they get more displacement (Hurricane?), lose weight (not likely) or turn up the boost on the current 5.4 (delayed).
The upcoming 06 Harley is a good example. Essentially, you get an appearance package probably for high $30k with the same naturally aspirated 5.4 lugging around that heavy truck unless they have the 6.2L ready by then. If not, you'll likely wind up paying what a 2003 Harley cost or more and get blown into the weeds by a 3 year old Supercrew. That's not the way its suppose to be, is it? Plus, on top of all this, you've got a bit of bad publicity out there now about the reliabity and quality control on the new Ford F-150s.

Traveler said:
If the Lightning engine is finished production-wise then Ford trucks are like boats dragging their anchors until they get more displacement (Hurricane?), lose weight (not likely) or turn up the boost on the current 5.4 (delayed).
The upcoming 06 Harley is a good example. Essentially, you get an appearance package probably for high $30k with the same naturally aspirated 5.4 lugging around that heavy truck unless they have the 6.2L ready by then. If not, you'll likely wind up paying what a 2003 Harley cost or more and get blown into the weeds by a 3 year old Supercrew. That's not the way its suppose to be, is it? Plus, on top of all this, you've got a bit of bad publicity out there now about the reliabity and quality control on the new Ford F-150s.
I haven't heard anything about about the new F150 in terms of quality or reliability????

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Try as they might, it looks like crap. I'll keep my Lightning and refurbish it when it gets old rather than buy something that looks ugly from the get-go.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I agree. It's too angular looking for my taste with a big 'ol wall of a front end.

rezcobra

Established Member
Sinister04L said:
The new F150 just doesn't look right as a "sport truck." It's too boxy and bulky. I'll stick with my Lightning.

There's a guy here in Scottsdale, AZ that is fixing up a single cab F150 with a body kit, wheels, dropped suspension and a blower planned for the 5.4 and it looks sharp. In fact I like it better than the old Lightnings!!! I might have to find him to take some pics.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
One of the biggest styling decisions made on the new Fords that seem to ruin it is the taller bed rails. I do realize that they were to serve a purpose, giving a deeper bed and utility and in theory that may be so. Yet, I have seen more than one F-150 with a tool box or a tall fiberglass cover on the bed and it looks downright goofy looking to me. Plus, with a toolbox, an owner has got to have downright crappy rear visibility.
As for the quality and reliability...from what I've read, Consumer Report decided to rate the F-150 on the list of least reliable vehicles based on their quality findings. Consider all the sporadic problems we've all read about them and it gets you to thinking. Visit the NHTSA site and there is quite a lot of TSBs for the trucks. Then apparently the lastest news is some defective engine parts in the F-150 engines along with a few other Fords. They are selling like gangbusters and I can't believe that most aren't built with acceptable quality, but there looks to be numerous problems with a good percentage if nothing more than because Ford makes so many of them.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
rezcobra said:
There's a guy here in Scottsdale, AZ that is fixing up a single cab F150 with a body kit, wheels, dropped suspension and a blower planned for the 5.4 and it looks sharp. In fact I like it better than the old Lightnings!!! I might have to find him to take some pics.

I don't see how a boxy new F150 could possibly look better than the curvaceous beauty that is a 2nd Gen Lightning, but ok.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Sinister04L said:
I don't see how a boxy new F150 could possibly look better than the curvaceous beauty that is a 2nd Gen Lightning, but ok.

I think a new lightning would look faucking mean as hell.....decent hood and fascias and i bet it would look as mean as a ws6 T/A. No offense, the 2nd gen lightning looks sweet, but by no means does it look wicked. They could make it one sweet @ss ride...

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
do us a favor and burn them all to the ground

I'll get right on that.

I think that the regular cab flareside F-150's would make a decent sport truck. The thing is that everyone is using supercab stylesides or crew cabs. It's all about the flare.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
wals9331 said:
I think a new lightning would look faucking mean as hell.....decent hood and fascias and i bet it would look as mean as a ws6 T/A. No offense, the 2nd gen lightning looks sweet, but by no means does it look wicked. They could make it one sweet @ss ride...

Well what the Hell do you know? :-D

Users who are viewing this thread