Roush charger or procharger stage II kit?

chico_mustangs

Established Member
I know you didn't list Vortech but that's what I have on my car, it makes great power all over and put down 625/491 at almost 9lbs on the dyno the other day with a retune and custom built power pipe. Oh and I still get 20mpg so all in all its pretty awesome!

Last edited:

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I know you didn't list Vortech but that's what I have on my car, it makes great power all over and put down 625/491 at almost 9lbs on the dyno the other day with a retune and custom built power pipe. Oh and I still get 20mpg so all in all its pretty awesome!

20mpg combined or highway?

TurboLover

Banned
i decided that if i returned the kit (hellion) i would lose around $800.. so that wasnt going to happen. My dad and i are modifying everything we can to make the install easier. The only things we've modified were the K member (Trimmed a little bit off), redrilled the intercooler mounting bracket holes, put a shit load of heat tape on everything (sensors, etc.) and we are wrapping every hot side piping with heat wrap and painting the pipes/wrap black to seal them. We had to buy some more bolts too, but it's all coming together slowly.

I SHOULD HAVE WENT THE PROCHARGER ROUTE. DAMMIT. im kinda pissed but whatever, you live and ya learn. This shound be a fun car once finished/dialed in.

I'm also springing for a tubular k member once they come out for our cars. The pipe placement and the stupid oil pump are a pain in the ass

Doesnt sound too bad of an install to me, just normal install stuff. My buddy had a blower that never fit, he had to make all kinds of parts. Not sure if you have this thing running yet, but you will see how a turbo will walk all over superchargers.

:rockon:

try03venom

Established Member
I think Hellion should be called out to halt production and revise the kit. The only people that are satisfied out there are dealers selling them but the real world do it yourselfers with the Hellion kit are not a happy bunch and rightly so!

Bullitt357

Established Member
I think Hellion should be called out to halt production and revise the kit. The only people that are satisfied out there are dealers selling them but the real world do it yourselfers with the Hellion kit are not a happy bunch and rightly so!

Dealers probably don't sweat the 2 minutes it takes to re-drill a hole.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
...and Hellion should sweat the details to make the kit right. I've heard way more bad than good on this setup so far.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have a friend in town with a centri supercharger on his 5.0

The car runs good, but not nearly the torque of the TVS cars.

I'd choose TVS over centri any day of the week.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Dealers probably don't sweat the 2 minutes it takes to re-drill a hole.

I had to redrill holes for the intercooler mounting plate. That's it. The issues are pipes rubbing the k member and the pipes not fitting correctly.

I ended up trading for a Procharger stage II kit. Im happy and thats All I care about.

When/if I get an 03/04 cobra, that's when im going to give hellion another chance.

BryanW

Established Member
I have a friend in town with a centri supercharger on his 5.0

The car runs good, but not nearly the torque of the TVS cars.

I'd choose TVS over centri any day of the week.

I agree that TVS puts out like 125 more foot pounds of torque over the ATI supercharger. Somewhere i read up on each and every blower kit out there and the procharger was the least amount of torque, but made similar peak horsepower thats safe on 93 pump gas.

But, if you have a automatic torque is what kills the transmission. Those low end grunts are what starts the trans slipping. I think if someone bought a D1SC procharger and had it wastegated, there is enough power that blower can make it will bend stock rods.

Once a fresh built shortblock is built, what upgrades can you do to a TVS to make more power and keep the air inlet temps in check? Doesnt it get hotter and hotter with each smaller pulley?

With the Procharger, add more boost and i think it will overcome the TVS and not kill the trans with all that torque. The D1SC is capable of high boost and cool temps.

The other day i turned my traction control fully off, floored it from a 30 punch and blew the tires away uncontrollably thru most of 2nd gear. First thought in my mind was.. WHY do i want a supercharger if it cant hook on these tires now... Guess i need drag radials with the blower, nobody makes 19 inch drag radials, so now i need wheels, tires, and the blower..

Take it easy

chico_mustangs

Established Member
I agree that TVS puts out like 125 more foot pounds of torque over the ATI supercharger. Somewhere i read up on each and every blower kit out there and the procharger was the least amount of torque, but made similar peak horsepower thats safe on 93 pump gas.

But, if you have a automatic torque is what kills the transmission. Those low end grunts are what starts the trans slipping. I think if someone bought a D1SC procharger and had it wastegated, there is enough power that blower can make it will bend stock rods.

Once a fresh built shortblock is built, what upgrades can you do to a TVS to make more power and keep the air inlet temps in check? Doesnt it get hotter and hotter with each smaller pulley?

With the Procharger, add more boost and i think it will overcome the TVS and not kill the trans with all that torque. The D1SC is capable of high boost and cool temps.

The other day i turned my traction control fully off, floored it from a 30 punch and blew the tires away uncontrollably thru most of 2nd gear. First thought in my mind was.. WHY do i want a supercharger if it cant hook on these tires now... Guess i need drag radials with the blower, nobody makes 19 inch drag radials, so now i need wheels, tires, and the blower..

Take it easy

Mickey Thompson makes a 19in drag radial, go to Summitracing.com, they carry them in stock.

Turbosixx

Established Member
You guys can speculate all you want about centri over the TVS but the proof is in the performance.
I guarantee you put a TVS on an auto 5.0 with VMP tuning and you have a 10 second car, period. Procharger, torque, whatever. A TVS WILL make your car a 10 second drive anywhere on pump gas car. I've done it time and time again. Driven the car 10 hours averaging 26 mpg's and recently went 10.6x @129 with a 10 mph headwind.
I'm not worried about the tranny holding up, it shifts like it did the day I got it. I'm not worried about the reliability of the motor, the tune I run is so fricken safe I hardly watch the it any more. I'd drive the damn car across the country straight into the staging lanes at MIR and make a pass in the 10's.

BryanW

Established Member
You guys can speculate all you want about centri over the TVS but the proof is in the performance.
I guarantee you put a TVS on an auto 5.0 with VMP tuning and you have a 10 second car, period. Procharger, torque, whatever. A TVS WILL make your car a 10 second drive anywhere on pump gas car. I've done it time and time again. Driven the car 10 hours averaging 26 mpg's and recently went 10.6x @129 with a 10 mph headwind.
I'm not worried about the tranny holding up, it shifts like it did the day I got it. I'm not worried about the reliability of the motor, the tune I run is so fricken safe I hardly watch the it any more. I'd drive the damn car across the country straight into the staging lanes at MIR and make a pass in the 10's.

I guess if your just looking for a bolt in and no upgrade slow ass 10 second car your found it:bash:

Just kidding. Im just looking forward if i do a short block in the near future i can add more power and keep the same setup. The D1SC seems to be a nice setup, i know the TVS is the rave but its limited.

Take it easy turbo buddy:beer:

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
We had one of our customers drive his 5.0 to Atco last friday (2 hour drive), air his tires down, and run a 10.02.

Mods are Whipple kit, fuel system running e85, 17" drag radials and skinnies up front, couple suspension bits and roll cage. Would have been a 9 but the clutches in he diff gave out.

Bud

Established Member
If you don't mind, what pressure was that on the whipple kit? Also do you guys have anything in way of a kit or parts (hat/pumps/injectors/lines/rails) that you suggest/sell for e85 at this level. I'm still looking around for what others are doing for dependable fuel systems for daily drivers at this level on e85. I would love to make the move to e85 before my local track opens back up in spring.

Users who are viewing this thread