Roush charger or procharger stage II kit?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Hey, as some of you know, i had a hellion 67mm turbo kit on order. Well, i got the kit, it truly is well engineered with all the right parts, just the fittment is what was worrying me. I would have to delete the rear K member brace, the front "X" style brace (Holds the service panel) and cut a little bit of the k member just for the pipes to fit. :(

I do plan on auto crossing the car, so i need all the support i can get and i want to DD the car too, so i wasnt to sure about cutting up the k member. This got me really upset because ive waited so long for the kit and paid a lot of money for it.. So, im in the process of trying for a refund. (Kit's brand new, only been taken out of the packaging).

So, here's my question: Should i go with the roushcharger, with a O/R X pipe from lethal, 52-80lb injectors, 8-9 psi pulley and that JLT CAI.

Or:

The pro charger D1SC kit with the bigger intercooler and 12 rib pulley upgrade. (Large Pulley, for 7-8 psi of boost). and the O/R X pipe and 52-80lb injectors.

Anyone know what cutting is involved to make either kit work? For the procharger, would you need to cut or remove the service panel brace? I know you need to hack up the inner front fascia in order for the intercooler to clear. But what else?

The roush is just track proven and being a roots style blower, i will get a lot of low end torque.

Any opinions? I'm just upset now so im hoping for the best. Thanks

Anyone know what needs to be trimmed

grnenvy

Established Member
I like all the superchargers that are on the market.
But IMOP there is only one that makes the most sense that would be the TVS.
It makes the most pwr at low boost levels and I would bet it runs the coolest. If your going to autocross the car this would be my choice.
But I would add the biggest heat exchanger u can fit on the car with an opened grill like the Saleen or Roush. The Roush heat exchanger could be bigger.
Keep us posted.

Last edited:

gimpy2011

Established Member
For the procharger stage 2 kit there is alot of hacking that needs to be done to the facsia and alot of tinkering with the piping to get the lower splash shield back on. Other than that it requires no cutting of anything else and performs great. On a side note, I sometimes wish I went with a whipple because of the intake placement and that awesome blower whine!

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Both are awesome kits. The pro charger is nice in that it doesn't rob as much power to spin the blower, and can potentially make really big power, with a sacrifice of not as much torque. The Whipple/Roush kits are nice, almost completely plug n play, with only some small modifications to the front cover required, can make stout power (815 through an auto with a built motor and upgraded fuel system, well north of 600 on a stock motor at 12-13lbs boost with upgraded fuel system and e85)

Turbosixx

Established Member
Look at the performance results of both and make your decision. That's what I did.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
im leaning towards the roush charger with an upgraded heat exchanger and just 52lb injectors. I don't want to do a lot of cutting to parts and lots of people are running really good times with them

kyoshosp2

Established Member
Both require cutting . Procharger is plastic cutting , roush is timing cover grinding. Both are nice . I haven't had a roots on my new car but had vortech. There is enough power with either to blow tires off. If u were drag racing ID say go roush... But procharger if u road course .. The tq hit will be a little less and u can get in throttle sooner without worrying about a spin out lol..

BV600

Established Member
I was really looking forward to a future thread with the kit on your car, I still want a 76mm Hellion Kit.
If I was you Id go with the Procharger just because of the Timing Cover grinding with the Roush. If you wouldnt mind the grinding go with the Roush, I had a Magnacharger on my 403ci GTO and the LOW END Power was ridiculous through twisties.

JerryC

Established Member
Both require cutting . Procharger is plastic cutting , roush is timing cover grinding. Both are nice . I haven't had a roots on my new car but had vortech. There is enough power with either to blow tires off. If u were drag racing ID say go roush... But procharger if u road course .. The tq hit will be a little less and u can get in throttle sooner without worrying about a spin out lol..

OTOH...
The grinding of the timing cover really cant be seen and if you go back to stock nobody will care.

The power curve of the Roush is very predictable, there would be no problem modulating the throttle on a road course. More of an issue would be weight, but if a GT500 can do it, so could a gt with a blower and the right suspension setup.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I was really looking forward to a future thread with the kit on your car, I still want a 76mm Hellion Kit.
If I was you Id go with the Procharger just because of the Timing Cover grinding with the Roush. If you wouldnt mind the grinding go with the Roush, I had a Magnacharger on my 403ci GTO and the LOW END Power was ridiculous through twisties.

so was i :(. I called hellion and spoke to John and he was very informative to me so that eased me up a little. I decided to give the hellion kit another shot. So i went to install the intercooler... and the intercooler bracket holes wont line up with the Tabs on the intercooler. Awesome.

This week has been so bad, and the roush has timing cover grinding??? I dont really trust myself with that, so i wouldnt be comfortable doing that.

I also called 3 tuners in my area and none of them would tune my car with the turbo on it....

If i return this kit i would lose like $800. so im F'd.

BV600

Established Member
Sorry to hear that.
Kenne Bell Doesnt require grinding, just havent seen to many of those

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Sorry to hear that.
Kenne Bell Doesnt require grinding, just havent seen to many of those

Kenne Bell requires cutting into the wheel well but still looks great. Evolution did an install on a Boss 302 and I know some guys on another forum that have installed their kits.

Bad Intention

Established Member
I have procharger Stg.II. Only triming i had to do was on the front facia. Very easy install.

The grinding for Roush blower is not that bad.

Both blowers work great.

kevinp

Established Member
I love prochargers, have had plenty of quick (8-9-10sec) streetable cars with them. But what sent me to PD blower is 300 cubic inches and nearly 4000lbs. Some claim these cars have a lot of torque even stock but not my car, with the TVS it feels like you have a 500 inch big block under the hood.

If ET's arent your main concern its a toss up, the procharger needs some facia trimming and I'm not a huge fan of the inlet placement. Plus I didnt like that procharger just caps off the PCV and runs hose to the blower inlet. But the procharger can be installed and removed quicker. Dont have to deal repinning harnesses or taking the intake manifold off either.

Theres the cost also, prochargers are a little cheaper, but you have to remember that with the PD blowers you are getting and intake manifold, throttle body and an A2W intercooler with a lot of pre-molded hoses. The Roush is a little harder to install but its as OE quality in both and finish as you can get.

Its hard to beat the 'instant 10 second car' formula of the Roush and some drag radials on an auto car. But if you have a stick shift with either blower its going to depend on you driving skill and tires/suspension/gearing to get decent ETs so blower choice isnt going to be that big of issue. As stated previously there are lot of GT500s driving with 500+hp and they arent that hard to drive with all that extra low end. Lot of forced induction choices out there and you can buy a whole decent car for what any of them cost, its a tough decision for sure..

Last edited:

five0three

big deal
Established Member
I've been kicking around the paxton/vortech route. I notice none of you guys are even considering them. Any reason?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
i decided that if i returned the kit (hellion) i would lose around $800.. so that wasnt going to happen. My dad and i are modifying everything we can to make the install easier. The only things we've modified were the K member (Trimmed a little bit off), redrilled the intercooler mounting bracket holes, put a shit load of heat tape on everything (sensors, etc.) and we are wrapping every hot side piping with heat wrap and painting the pipes/wrap black to seal them. We had to buy some more bolts too, but it's all coming together slowly.

I SHOULD HAVE WENT THE PROCHARGER ROUTE. DAMMIT. im kinda pissed but whatever, you live and ya learn. This shound be a fun car once finished/dialed in.

I'm also springing for a tubular k member once they come out for our cars. The pipe placement and the stupid oil pump are a pain in the ass

Users who are viewing this thread