Rotella T6 5w30 Anyone running it in their Turbo/SC cars?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Spring is well on its way and I'm prepping for an oil change on my turbo'ed Cobra. I'm thinking of going with the Rotella T6 rather than Mobil 1.
Any nay sayers?

It's supposed to be great with high heat, and lubing the turbo as well.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Been running T6 5-40 in my speed3 for 65k miles. Seems like the ticket. Has more detergents to deal with fuel dilution, being a diesel oil. And the lube and heat tolerance as you mentioned are a plus. That pesky old direct injection causes a little dilution of the oil for me. Been having a hard time finding T6 5-40 around here. Like Sid was saying months ago.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Been running T6 5-40 in my speed3 for 65k miles. Seems like the ticket. Has more detergents to deal with fuel dilution, being a diesel oil. And the lube and heat tolerance as you mentioned are a plus. That pesky old direct injection causes a little dilution of the oil for me. Been having a hard time finding T6 5-40 around here. Like Sid was saying months ago.

Where have you been finding this in 5w40? I have been running Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40, but even that is getting hard to find.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Where have you been finding this in 5w40? I have been running Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40, but even that is getting hard to find.
Used to get it locally at Napa, and Orilleys. But it has been a no go for a bit. Stocked up a few months ago, for this scenario.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Assuming that your tolerances are slightly looser in a motor built for boost, 5w30 is probably going to be a little thin for what you want

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I’d run a 5w40. You’ll want a thicker oil when it’s hot if your bearing clearances have been opened up a bit. If it’s decently loose, a 15w40 is a good option too.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I’d run a 5w40. You’ll want a thicker oil when it’s hot if your bearing clearances have been opened up a bit. If it’s decently loose, a 15w40 is a good option too.
those two oils are the same oils at any temp that matters to an engine. if anything, the 15w40 will have less VIIs in it vs the 5w40 so itll be a little less prone to shearing down in high heat and longer oil drain intervals.

also, T6 5w30 is REALLY thick for a 30w. its practically a 40w already, no need to run a 40w unless the engine is seeing sustained high oil temperatures and/ or has loose clearances.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
If I can find it at a decent price, I would like to try some 5w50 in my Ranger. I think it would help with dilution. The Ranger basically just has a detuned Focus RS engine and the RS took 5w50. I am sure Ford specified 30 weight in the Ranger for fuel mileage. Being a truck, loads would be similar to a high performance application due to weight and usage IMHO.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Just grabbed 3 gallon jugs of Rotella T6 5w40.
Like some have said, It's somewhat hard to find. I should have maybe grabbed 3 more gallons. My car takes 10 quarts with the MMR oil pan and turbo.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
those two oils are the same oils at any temp that matters to an engine. if anything, the 15w40 will have less VIIs in it vs the 5w40 so itll be a little less prone to shearing down in high heat and longer oil drain intervals.

also, T6 5w30 is REALLY thick for a 30w. its practically a 40w already, no need to run a 40w unless the engine is seeing sustained high oil temperatures and/ or has loose clearances.

Bingo, get those viscosity numbers as close as possible.

If I can find it at a decent price, I would like to try some 5w50 in my Ranger. I think it would help with dilution. The Ranger basically just has a detuned Focus RS engine and the RS took 5w50. I am sure Ford specified 30 weight in the Ranger for fuel mileage. Being a truck, loads would be similar to a high performance application due to weight and usage IMHO.

With an EcoBoost it's more important to change it more often. I do 3,000 mile OCI on EB engines. Cheaper stuff is fine, just change it often.

Like some have said, It's somewhat hard to find. I should have maybe grabbed 3 more gallons. My car takes 10 quarts with the MMR oil pan and turbo.

OCD says you should have bought 5.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Was scouring yesterday, came up empty handed. Might have to check Wally World.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Bingo, get those viscosity numbers as close as possible.

With an EcoBoost it's more important to change it more often. I do 3,000 mile OCI on EB engines. Cheaper stuff is fine, just change it often.

OCD says you should have bought 5.

I do 3000 miles too! DI turbo engines are hard on oil. Heck any GDI engine is hard on oil, turbo or not. I never understood some people's aversion to changing their damn oil. Clean oil is better no matter what peoples precious Blackstone analysis says. I will go to my grave arguing this.

The guys on the Ranger forums keep bitching about fuel dilution, but refuse to change their oil in a timely manner. Crazy.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Finally! I was able to pick up 6 gallons of the T6 5w-40. Couldn't even order it from Napa, Amazon said it shipped, but never made it to me. So, Home Depot of all places had 11 gallons on stock. So if you need some Rotella take a gander at home depot. I know it was hard to find for the last 6 months.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I use to run T6 in my diesel trucks for years. My 7.3 was murdered and I replaced it with a 6.0 and had it hopped up and bullet proofed. The new injector manufacturer specifically wrote in there instructions to not use T6. They told me to use Motorcraft or Shaefers only. I never had a problem with T6 all the years I ran it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread