Rods and Pistons Help

disasterpiece83

Got Beast?
Established Member
i have an issue. i have been unable to take my car in for diagnostics due to deployment. it is driving me crazy and just want to know what im going to be spending to resolve this problem. talked to local performance shop and they said it is most likely a piston. making a tick noise that gets louder as the RPM's go up. they say i will probly need a new short block. however if it is a piston shouldnt i be able to just replace the pistons? what are the chances that the block is messed up? also should i replace rods while im at it? can this be accomplished without removing the engine? also what is recommended for rods and pistons? i was thinking Diamond or JE pistons but what rods? any help would be greatly appreciated. :shrug:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Get another opinion from a different shop, the stock Manley Rods don't need to be replaced, Diamond and CP pistons are very good!

disasterpiece83

Got Beast?
Established Member
yea i was thinking that to. they sell blocks there so you gotta wonder a bit. those manley rods should be good 850 hp+? if so awesome. if not figured replace them while im at it. dont want to if i dont have to though. do you know if pistons can be replaced without removing the engine?

cobra=trouble

Established Member
yea i was thinking that to. they sell blocks there so you gotta wonder a bit. those manley rods should be good 850 hp+? if so awesome. if not figured replace them while im at it. dont want to if i dont have to though. do you know if pistons can be replaced without removing the engine?
sure anything is possible but why will take longer,and my stressful.plus yoy wount be able to clean the motor out right . just drop it out .k member and all with trans and x pipe.

prostkr

Established Member
If you have a damaged piston the engine has to come out. Save yourself a bunch of trouble and just buy the ford replacement engine. 1k in labor and its back on the road with a 3 year warranty.

disasterpiece83

Got Beast?
Established Member
thats where it went down hill. it is 2k in labor. 1500 to remove engine and put it back in and 500 to transfer all salvageable parts from old to new. kinda expensive. if i have to i have to but was trying to avoid it if i could. at that point i might as well just get a new short block.

disasterpiece83

Got Beast?
Established Member
very true. however the guy from the shop sounded pretty positive when i described what happened. you never know i suppose. just planning on worse case scenario. with my luck its usually a safe bet! lol!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A bad guide will tick also and is just as common as a hurt piston.

Did they do a bore-o-scope in the bad cylinder?
Did they do a leak down or a compression test and give you the per cylinder readings?
Do they know which cylinder is making the noise and why?

You need these answers before you spend one more dime with them.

disasterpiece83

Got Beast?
Established Member
No sir. i actually have been unable to take it to them yet. i am currently in afghanistan. this happened right before i came out here. its been bothering me not knowing. i know i wont know till i can get it in but figured there are people on here that had to have had the problem. he said it was most likely a piston. i hope not. i have been told about the possible lifter issue. do you know what it would cost for the fix? no need to remove engine correct? just want to know what this is going to cost me. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread