Road course upgrades

Swiss Boss

Established Member
I've ran with a couple smaller groups and was there last month with 10/10ths. They are easily the best group I've ran with and the drivers were great. I only had one guy that wouldn't give a point by, but I wasn't pushing him too hard either.

So I've been researching coil overs for the last three hours, lol. The mcs setup would be my choice but the price is just too much. I was hoping to keep it under $2k for the coil overs. The Cortex kit looks very nice and isn't too far out of my price range. Looked into the Eibach Multi-Pro kit, but it seems to have poor reviews compared to the others. I found good and bad reviews on the KW coilovers, with the bad mainly being a harsh ride.

So my plan for this year is to install the SS brake lines, find a cheap set of track rims and get some NT01's. Next year I'll try to save for the Cortex coilovers, then the watts link and torque arm.

What do you guys know about the camber adjustment from the factory? Is there any adjustment or is it pretty much set? I see the camber bolts are cheap and easy to install, so I'm thinking about getting them mainly to help with tire wear until I get C/C plates.

Yes. This a great group to run with. I love their passing rules.

Hopefully see you there at the end of the month. Look for an orange Boss 302.

+1 on everything said above. Brake and fat tire first.
BTW Pufferfish Team Dynamic wheel are awesome ;-)

1slow95

Established Member
Well like I said the brakes are good enough for now. I had always planned on upgrading them first, but I need new wheels to clear Brembos. It's amazing what a set of good pads will do, and if the SS lines fix my brake pedal issues then these brakes will hold me over for a while. My cousin who has '00 Cobra R Brembos on his car said my brakes felt stronger than his when he rode with me. :) Just for fun here's a pic of the custom brake duct kit I built.
main.php

main.php

Anybody have a recommendation on a set of CHEAP track wheels? I found a set of Seleen reps for like $500, and I'm looking at a couple different knock off brands in the $600-700 range. Need something as cheap as possible now, then I'll get something good later on. Got my sights set on Forgestar F14's, 18x10 all around. :burnout:

Grant808

Established Member
SVE drifts from LMR are popular cheap track wheels in 18x10 and clear the 14" Brembos if/when you upgrade. Use the LMR SVTP discount code in their vendor forum.

What rubber are you planning on using for your track set?

dmichaels

Established Member
I watched for a set of 18" GT500 wheels to be available near me for my track setup as they clear the OEM TP Brembo's. They have been great so far.

NT01's are quite popular. I'm torn between those and a set of Conti scrubs for the next set of tires I get...

Love that brake cooling setup - well done on the custom work

darreng505

Established Member
Well like I said the brakes are good enough for now. I had always planned on upgrading them first, but I need new wheels to clear Brembos. It's amazing what a set of good pads will do, and if the SS lines fix my brake pedal issues then these brakes will hold me over for a while. My cousin who has '00 Cobra R Brembos on his car said my brakes felt stronger than his when he rode with me. :) Just for fun here's a pic of the custom brake duct kit I built.
main.php

main.php

Anybody have a recommendation on a set of CHEAP track wheels? I found a set of Seleen reps for like $500, and I'm looking at a couple different knock off brands in the $600-700 range. Need something as cheap as possible now, then I'll get something good later on. Got my sights set on Forgestar F14's, 18x10 all around. :burnout:

What hose did you use? And is it pretty durable from tire rubs?

1slow95

Established Member
Well I looked through my order history and found this was my first order, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GHC6IQ/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

What's odd is that's the same part number as the new hoses I just got but they're clearly different. Here's what I'm using now, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K8KCD6/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . After two years the old hoses had some holes in them but weren't in too bad of shape. Don't think the tires ever rubbed. It was separating around the coils, probably from where it flexed when turning. I ended up completely trashing one of the hoses so I just replaced both sides. The new hose feels much more durable and looks like it should last longer.

On the topic of wheels, I'm thinking about going a little extra and get the style of rims I want now. When the Nittos are worn out I will get a set of street tires mounted and get new track rims. I'm gonna need two sets anyways to clear the Brembos when I get them installed. I know a lot of guys don't like import style wheels on Mustangs, but I get tired of seeing the same wheels on every other car. This is what I'm looking at now,
DSC_0728_zps994d1c56.jpg

Grant808

Established Member
Those look good.

I've been thinking about what I'd do for your build, but I think it depends on what you consider street-able and wether you are more inclined to go with a 'kit' from one manufacturer or piece everything together to make it what you want. Lots of good recommendations in the previous posts.

And if you haven't checked out bossmustangsonline.com...a lot of the track oriented crowd hang out there, including many GT owners.

1slow95

Established Member
Street-able to me means I can hop in the car and drive anywhere without worrying about something breaking. I don't want the ride too harsh, and the engine has to run smooth as stock. I rode in my cousins car once and it was little too rough for a daily driver I think. That's a 2000 GT with MM coil overs, 400/200# I think, and their non adjustable Bilstiens. Other than that I don't really have much to compare to. My old car had sportlines and KYB dampers, and I drove it daily for a while. It rode good enough for me, but was too low. That's why I like the idea of coil overs, I love the slammed look on occasion but I can set it to a sane ride height for daily driving.

After researching a bunch of different kits I think I'm gonna stick with mainly Cortex stuff. I haven't really heard anything bad about them yet. Might mix and match a few parts here and there depending on cost, but I think I'm set on their coil over kit to start with.

dmichaels

Established Member
Those look good.

I've been thinking about what I'd do for your build, but I think it depends on what you consider street-able and wether you are more inclined to go with a 'kit' from one manufacturer or piece everything together to make it what you want. Lots of good recommendations in the previous posts.

And if you haven't checked out bossmustangsonline.com...a lot of the track oriented crowd hang out there, including many GT owners.

Favorite site for the more hard core road course junkies. Lots of knowledge shared over there! And they even welcome folks like me with my lowly GT track pack ;)

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
main.php

main.php

How about the Boss 302R BBS wheels in matte black?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rac...ss-302s-upgrade-matte-black-2005-2013/p/W113/

az20115.0

Established Member
I have KW V3 and the ride is excellent! And I mean that 10x better ride than eibach sportlines. The shocks are incredible, handling is awesome.. only one complaint that they they have so many adjustment levels that it's not easy to figure out whether your in the sweet spot or not. Especially when your tires are fading..

I got camber bolts to save money but realize now that I made a mistake. CC plates are a must if you are planning to track it with good tires like nt01s

Good luck

az20115.0

Established Member
Roush coilovers are or at least used to be same as KW V2.. probably a great set up

guarnibl

Established Member
I have KW V3 and the ride is excellent! And I mean that 10x better ride than eibach sportlines. The shocks are incredible, handling is awesome.. only one complaint that they they have so many adjustment levels that it's not easy to figure out whether your in the sweet spot or not. Especially when your tires are fading..

I got camber bolts to save money but realize now that I made a mistake. CC plates are a must if you are planning to track it with good tires like nt01s

Good luck

This is good news.

Is anyone here running the Cortex coil over upgrades? Or heard anything about them?

I.e., http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/xtreme-grip-coil-over-system-street/

This is what I'm leaning towards ...

ford20

Established Member
I don't run where you do, but do run the hell out of my full weight brembo gt. I drive to the track, run hard and drive home...in ac comfort:)

Koni yellows with h&r race springs are cheap and work well on track. Go full soft for a decent street ride.

Dedicated track wheels. Light 18x10's with as fat a slick as you can get. Magic camber number is -3 degrees, so camber plates are needed. I set mine to run full intake the track and full out on the street.

Brakes are really important. With a full weight car, you will heat soak the stock brakes too quickly. Step up to brembo so or better. Use the watts link money for good brakes. Watts is nice but not as important as brakes. You will want race pads and high temp fluid with whatever setup you choose. I swap my pads in at the track.

Minimum to keep your butt planted is a CG lock. If you don't know what it is, just buy it and thank me later. Down the road, you will have to step up to a seat and harness. I'm at the apex of that decision now.

Get a trailer hitch and a trailer. It makes hauling this crap much easier.

It doesn't take much more than this relatively small list to corner like a champ and surprise those high end sports cars. If you want to hang in the straights, add lightweight driveshaft and clutch, as well as the bolt ons and tune.

Well I had to look up what a CG Lock was and I have to say that I am sold :D

cg-lock_fitted.png

1070674976_47e6e03913_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread