*Rip 10 spline #2!!*

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
After breaking a second one i finally went to a 26spline.I think ive found the weak spot on these...:rockon:

DSC02075-1.jpg

DSC02077.jpg

DSC02076.jpg

DSC02085.jpg

DSC02087.jpg

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
how in the hell are you breaking them only making 450/498?!?! HAHA! Impressive. You must beat on that car! :rockon::burnout:

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Yea.i.drive.it.like.i.stole.it.if.need.be.:burnout:The.first.was.a.3-4.shift.against.a.t/a.The.second.one.was.a.2-3.powershift.against.a.badass.sounding.cammed.L....Atleast.i.was.ahead.when.they.brokei.guess.:lol:.O.well.racing.breaks.things.ya.know.:shrug:.Im.still.baffled.as.to.how.they.took.all.the.track.abuse.but.broke.on.the.street....sorry.about.this.dam.spacebar

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Yea I drive it like I stole it If need be :burnout: The first was a 3-4 shift against a T/A. The second one was a 2-3 powershift against a badass sounding cammed L. Atleast I was ahead when the broke I guess. Oh well. Racing breaks things ya know :shrug: I'm still baffled as to how they took all the track abuse but broke on the street.

FIXED:beer:

Damn this makes me wish I had done the 26 spline while I had the trans out :(

Last edited:

NateV8

Established Member
Damn that's why I'm gonna be scared to launch my Cobra at the track with slicks this summer. Still on the stock 10 spline.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
When you broke the first one, that should have been a good reason to step up to a 26 spline. Ford dropped the ball on that one..

B0B

Established Member
damn.. i'm worried now. i'm going to be upgrading my tranny very soon i think because its gonna grenade

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member
When you broke the first one, that should have been a good reason to step up to a 26 spline. Ford dropped the ball on that one..

I disagree about ford dropping the ball. I doubt anyone has ever or ever will break one running a 100% stock car ,which is what it was designed to do.
No one questions upgrading fuel system for a whipple,why question upgrading input shaft if you want to run slicks or more horsepower?

Last edited:

SVTDavid

Live Fast
Established Member
Yea.i.drive.it.like.i.stole.it.if.need.be.:burnout:The.first.was.a.3-4.shift.against.a.t/a.The.second.one.was.a.2-3.powershift.against.a.badass.sounding.cammed.L....Atleast.i.was.ahead.when.they.brokei.guess.:lol:.O.well.racing.breaks.things.ya.know.:shrug:.Im.still.baffled.as.to.how.they.took.all.the.track.abuse.but.broke.on.the.street....sorry.about.this.dam.spacebar

Stop wackin it so close to the keyboard:shrug:

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
Damn that's why I'm gonna be scared to launch my Cobra at the track with slicks this summer. Still on the stock 10 spline.

I always heard you dont break the input shaft with hard launches.... its only when you powershift from 2-3 or 3-4 :shrug:

oilwell1415

Established Member
I always heard you dont break the input shaft with hard launches.... its only when you powershift from 2-3 or 3-4 :shrug:

The stress on the input shaft goes up on each shift. It isn't necessarily about the strength of the shaft, it's about the weakest link. What ever happens the easiest is what happens. In first and second gear it is easier for the car to accelerate because of the gear ratios. As the gear ratio gets numerically lower there is more stress put on the input shaft.

If it makes the OP feel better, at least they are two different kinds of failure. The one on the right died a slow painful death of fatigue. The one on the left failed quickly and painlessly by brute force.

Users who are viewing this thread