REVISED VMP 160mm TB for Gen 3 - Anyone using it?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I will say any time Jr has done my tune everything has gone well. The two times he hasn’t there have been problems. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.
Yup, I'm in the exact same boat, my 2013 GT500 with a 3.6KB on E85 tuned by Jr and the car drove like stock, my 2014 GT500 with the Gen3 TVS tuned by someone else from Lund and theres constant issues. I just wish Jr would handle all the GT500s.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup, I'm in the exact same boat, my 2013 GT500 with a 3.6KB on E85 tuned by Jr and the car drove like stock, my 2014 GT500 with the Gen3 TVS tuned by someone else from Lund and theres constant issues. I just wish Jr would handle all the GT500s.
I’m sure Jrs involved but I know Lund Sr is involved on many of the GT500 tunes. He and I still have the cars we raced against each other at NMRA Norwalk way back when. He then threw his tune in my car.
Now both are over 1000rwhp with Gen3 TVS.
-J

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m sure Jrs involved but I know Lund Sr is involved on many of the GT500 tunes. He and I still have the cars we raced against each other at NMRA Norwalk way back when. He then threw his tune in my car.
Now both are over 1000rwhp with Gen3 TVS.
-J
I would be happy if Sr would tune my setup, but they both seem impossible to get ahold of. Surprisingly enough Justin Starkey reached out to me last night about tuning my car, I'm guessing it's cause I'm running a Gen3. But he is going to personally retune my car, and I think I'm going to add the VMP 160mm T/B.

RBB

Established Member
Agreed. Alex is doing my current tune and I don’t think he consulted with Jr or Sr on the issues at all. Pretty much the only response I got after the second tune revision is “I won’t chase issues with these big monoblades”.

Great customer service....if he can’t get the 160 to run then maybe I’ll give Justin a shout as well. Alex wants to run the latest KB168 tune he sent me as the startup tune for the 160 so my hopes aren’t high

RBB

Established Member
Agreed. Alex is doing my current tune and I don’t think he consulted with Jr or Sr on the issues at all. Pretty much the only response I got after the second tune revision is “I won’t chase issues with these big monoblades”.

Great customer service....if he can’t get the 160 to run then maybe I’ll give Justin a shout as well. .

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

Great customer service....if he can’t get the 160 to run then maybe I’ll give Justin a shout as well. Alex wants to run the latest KB168 tune he sent me as the startup tune for the 160 so my hopes aren’t high
I figured Alex was your calibrator, I'm done with him, when he was tuning my XBA setup with the 168 the car felt slower. How the hell is that possible, and I think I pissed him off when I asked to work with Jr and he told me that he has the same tunes as Jr. Well it doesn't help if you don't make the proper adjustments when the driveability isn't correct.

At this point I'm done with Lund, I have faith Justin can get my car running like it should and I might be doing the 160 T/B as well. I will keep you updated.

RBB

Established Member
I figured Alex was your calibrator, I'm done with him, when he was tuning my XBA setup with the 168 the car felt slower. How the hell is that possible, and I think I pissed him off when I asked to work with Jr and he told me that he has the same tunes as Jr. Well it doesn't help if you don't make the proper adjustments when the driveability isn't correct.

At this point I'm done with Lund, I have faith Justin can get my car running like it should and I might be doing the 160 T/B as well. I will keep you updated.
I have no doubt all of Lund's calibrators are using the same base maps for their tunes. Like you said, though, I also have no doubt that when those base maps need to be tweaked some of them just aren't up to the task. Whether that's due to laziness or a lack of knowledge is anyone's guess.

Is your Gen3 installed already? If so, what TB are you using? I'm not willing to go back to a twin blade on a Gen3, so if LR has issues tuning the 160 then I'm jumping ship as well.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no doubt all of Lund's calibrators are using the same base maps for their tunes. Like you said, though, I also have no doubt that when those base maps need to be tweaked some of them just aren't up to the task. Whether that's due to laziness or a lack of knowledge is anyone's guess.

Is your Gen3 installed already? If so, what TB are you using? I'm not willing to go back to a twin blade on a Gen3, so if LR has issues tuning the 160 then I'm jumping ship as well.
Yes my Gen3 TVS is installed and I'm running the FRPP twin 65mm T/B. I'm only using that T/B because I wanted stock driveability, but I don't have that either. So when I talk to Justin today I'll get a game plan.

Totalpkg

Established Member
Cleveland,OH, USA or Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes my Gen3 TVS is installed and I'm running the FRPP twin 65mm T/B. I'm only using that T/B because I wanted stock driveability, but I don't have that either. So when I talk to Justin today I'll get a game plan.

I had issues with the first TB going into failsafe. Ended up going with FRPP twin 65mm TB, stock drivability. Justin did a great job with my car and and called me when I had issues. I really want to get my car dyno tuned by Justin when I upgraded to a VMP 160mm...

RBB

Established Member
I had issues with the first TB going into failsafe. Ended up going with FRPP twin 65mm TB, stock drivability. Justin did a great job with my car and and called me when I had issues. I really want to get my car dyno tuned by Justin when I upgraded to a VMP 160mm...
What code were you getting with the failsafe? P2112? Apparently they've resolved all those issues with the 160.

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and haven't received any update on the backorder status yet. The weather is starting to get pretty nice and I'm itching for it to get here and get this thing tuned. Ready to hit the drag strip and finally hit 9s....I know this Gen3 can do it on good fuel.

Totalpkg

Established Member
Cleveland,OH, USA or Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What code were you getting with the failsafe? P2112? Apparently they've resolved all those issues with the 160.

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and haven't received any update on the backorder status yet. The weather is starting to get pretty nice and I'm itching for it to get here and get this thing tuned. Ready to hit the drag strip and finally hit 9s....I know this Gen3 can do it on good fuel.

From what I remember it was TB stuck open... Not sure on the code...

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome, Justin is going to give me a call today so we can get the tune setup. Not sure yet if I'm going to get the 160 T/B yet.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
What other options are you considering? I think the twin 72 is going to re-release soon as well.
If I don't do the 160 I'm staying with the twin 65mm, I don't think I would pick up much power with the twin 67mm. I think new revised 160 T/B will be good and Justin knows everything about it.

RBB

Established Member
Nice, Justin has my car running amazing finally. Let me know how the driveability is
Finally had a chance to fire up the 160 today. Car drove great on the original KB168 tune from Lund, felt no different than my old twin blade tune. Got through the initial data logs with no issues.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Finally had a chance to fire up the 160 today. Car drove great on the original KB168 tune from Lund, felt no different than my old twin blade tune. Got through the initial data logs with no issues.
Good to know VMP finally has the new 160 dialed in now

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I think there's an adapter for the Gen 2R, maybe the Gen 2 with some modification.

Users who are viewing this thread