Revan Racing 13-6...Just do it

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Only downside is the labor associated with installation of the 10% OD lower. Which isn't terrible but the offset and the first "HOLY CRAP" after you drive the car and that first tip into the throttle you'll forget how much you spent!! I've got a couple of locations that might be able to accommodate your lower balancer installation that I've supplied parts to in the Long Island area. Please feel free to give me a call and discuss 561-445-7702

The 10% lower is considered a 3-4 LB lower as in 3-4 PSI of boost. You'll likely see about 16-17 PSI on your boost gauge with this set up and a significant increase in power with excellent drivability.

Van

Fantastic, that's exactly what I'm looking for. It looks like I already spent my tax return check ;-) I'll give you a call when we get closer to spring.

railroad

Established Member
Not that I would change, but I went with the smaller upper pulley. I thought I saw something with numbers on it in comparison to the upper and lower. From memory it seemed the lower made more tq, but not for sure. I thought the upper would be easier to change and not spin the rest of the belt driven stuff at a faster speed. I would like to know how the two compare on the dyno or street.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't forget the lower pulley is also an SFI balancer and allows extra belt wrap, not less as with an upper.
I felt it was worth it, I run the 15% lower with a stock upper and an auxillary pulley with a green belt from Van.
Can't wait to pull the trigger on a blue belt---to match the upper pulley and E85 swap, parts from Van of course ;-)
-J

Smackiavelli

Established Member
Installlation

I recently received a rather large pile of cardboard from West Palm's own Bloodsport (or is it motorsport?) bad ass, Jean Claude Van Collier (giant dogs included to lend perspective to just how large this mountain of mods actually was, and to guard said wares against my Camaro-owning, Ford-hating neighbor; he has a serious Freudian complex that's all tangled up in the throaty, alpha dog moxie of the Shelby):

Boys and Boxes.jpg

I'll be scrawling a full review of the myriad parts I had installed and the profoundly anticipated results as soon as I get the car back (which should be next weekeend).

Meantime, if you're in the Tri-State area and your dubiety of local installers is precluding you from pulling the trigger on a 13-6 (or any other mods you've sourced from the Maestro of Modification, Van Modisson), I have a pleasantly viable alternative that should work for you as well as it has for me.

Assuming, like me, you're willing to embark on a minor road trip to leave your whip with a shop you trust, there's a diamond in the rough well within striking distance for anyone who lives in or near NYC. It's a small operation where the owner, a very skilled wrencher, does all the work himself, and takes great care in doing so. Said owner really knows his stuff, is very reasonable in his pricing, and is an exceptionally straight-dealing dude.

No reason to delay allowing Van With The Plan to assist you with transforming your beast into an all-out demon just for want of a trustworthy installer. PM me if you want more specific details.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great choice, but you don't me to reaffirm that decision.
I just like the dogs in front of the picture of the same dogs while they guard the parts that will allow them to hear you coming home like a twister ;-)
Enjoy the new thrill ride.
-J
:beer:

Van@RevanRacing

I recently received a rather large pile of cardboard from West Palm's own Bloodsport (or is it motorsport?) bad ass, Jean Claude Van Collier (giant dogs included to lend perspective to just how large this mountain of mods actually was, and to guard said wares against my Camaro-owning, Ford-hating neighbor; he has a serious Freudian complex that's all tangled up in the throaty, alpha dog moxie of the Shelby):

View attachment 31192

I'll be scrawling a full review of the myriad parts I had installed and the profoundly anticipated results as soon as I get the car back (which should be next weekeend).

Meantime, if you're in the Tri-State area and your dubiety of local installers is precluding you from pulling the trigger on a 13-6 (or any other mods you've sourced from the Maestro of Modification, Van Modisson), I have a pleasantly viable alternative that should work for you as well as it has for me.

Assuming, like me, you're willing to embark on a minor road trip to leave your whip with a shop you trust, there's a diamond in the rough well within striking distance for anyone who lives in or near NYC. It's a small operation where the owner, a very skilled wrencher, does all the work himself, and takes great care in doing so. Said owner really knows his stuff, is very reasonable in his pricing, and is an exceptionally straight-dealing dude.

No reason to delay allowing Van With The Plan to assist you with transforming your beast into an all-out demon just for want of a trustworthy installer. PM me if you want more specific details.

Thanks for the preliminary review Smackster.

That American Racing Headers box is huge and those boys make it look like a shoe box.

Smackiavelli

Established Member
Great choice, but you don't me to reaffirm that decision. I just like the dogs in front of the picture of the same dogs while they guard the parts that will allow them to hear you coming home like a twister ;-)
Enjoy the new thrill ride.
-J
:beer:

Thanks, bud. It's true, I do have unflagging confidence in the mod path I've chosen. Even still, your reaffirmation is appreciated. Van Go has put together a killer package with an array of complimentary peripherals. The thread of universal enthusiasm attached to the 13-6 does not go lost on me. I mean, how much cajoling is necessary when the 13-6 is such a ubiquitously proven performer? F - k Robert Frost and his notion that taking the path less traveled by makes all the difference; I'm another happy passenger on the 13-6 bandwagon.

You like what I did there with the animate dogs in the foreground and the photographic version of the same in the background? It was much easier bribing the dogs hanging on the wall to remain still as I fumbled with my I-Phone camera.

Subsequent to all that, if my GT500 returns to me with power even marginally akin to what appears in my sig, I will pen a long-form text (think Ulysses by Joyce) dedicated to extolling the considerable modification mastery of one Van Wilder. Got My Fix From The 13-6: The Story of Hurricane Vandrew and Life as the Maharajah of Mustang.

Thanks for the preliminary review Smackster.

The American Racing Headers box is huge and those boys make it look like a shoebox.

Joo got it, Brutha. Once the car is back, the full-length version will be forthcoming. I hope the lenses in your bi-focals are good and polished.

I figured The Bookends would provide some context to the mountain of mods you sent me. The ARH box weighed in at 54 pounds. I guess it doesn't appear as big as it is because both mastodons are roughly four times that heavy. Pretty sure I don't have to worry about anyone breaking in to el bandido my mods.

little-dw

Established Member
finally joined the 13-6 club

Well, I finally got around to installing the 13-6 kit, tr7ix plugs, 2.396 upper with idler pulley, accessory idler pulley, gates blue racing belts, and an offroad h pipe. Then flashed the supplied tune from Van

Went through the necessary steps as many have posted throughout this thread, took my time and got it done in about 3-4 hours.

Now I have not driven my car for more than 10 minutes because we started around 7pm; however I took it down the road to wear off/burn out the new smell. From this little run, gauges read A/F ratio to be around 11.4 - 11.2 and boost now goes up to 17 - 18psi (i know the stock gauge isnt accurate) and the temperature was around 68-70 degrees last night.

Overall, this setup/install was not bad at all and went surprisingly well. I just have a few questions/concerns...

1. What is the best way to check engine temperature... just go by the oil temp gauge?
  2. Now that I am running more boost, should I invest in a heat ex-changer or will the stock one suffice?
  3. How long has this kit been on a car and still performing well...mileage wise?
  4. I'm nowhere near a dyno (50+ miles) so what would be a guesstimate of rwhp from this setup?

Van@RevanRacing

Well, I finally got around to installing the 13-6 kit, tr7ix plugs, 2.396 upper with idler pulley, accessory idler pulley, gates blue racing belts, and an offroad h pipe. Then flashed the supplied tune from Van

Went through the necessary steps as many have posted throughout this thread, took my time and got it done in about 3-4 hours.

Now I have not driven my car for more than 10 minutes because we started around 7pm; however I took it down the road to wear off/burn out the new smell. From this little run, gauges read A/F ratio to be around 11.4 - 11.2 and boost now goes up to 17 - 18psi (i know the stock gauge isnt accurate) and the temperature was around 68-70 degrees last night.

Overall, this setup/install was not bad at all and went surprisingly well. I just have a few questions/concerns...

1. What is the best way to check engine temperature... just go by the oil temp gauge?
  2. Now that I am running more boost, should I invest in a heat ex-changer or will the stock one suffice?
  3. How long has this kit been on a car and still performing well...mileage wise?
  4. I'm nowhere near a dyno (50+ miles) so what would be a guesstimate of rwhp from this setup?

Good to hear you got everything installed and everything is running well.

1. If you want to see actual Engine Coolant Temperature you can use your SCT X4 and set up data logging. In there you can select ECT (Engine Coolant Temp ) as an item to data log and see what your temperatures get up to. Your car has a 192 degree thermostat from the factory so it will get up into that area over time.

2. At your current boost level the 13/14 GT500 has an excellent intercooler/heat exchanger system and you shouldn't require a dual fan heat exchanger at this time.

3. I've got customers with more than 25,000 miles on the kit and still running strong.

4. RWHP guesstimate. With your set up we've seen 675-700 RWHP.

With that said. If you go to a dyno data log the car. There are steps and provisions you can take to ensure success. I can't tell you how many times I've had customers call depressed because their car didn't make any power. No data logs. Then they go back and data log. Oops! There it is.

In some instances where the catalytic converters are still present the car can be in COT (Catalytic Converter Over Temperature Protection) which richens the A/F ratio but also slightly closes the the throttle body! Which is one of the reasons to data log actual throttle angle. Some other parameters to data log are Knock (if your 93 pump gas isn't up to snuff you can get knock) if its reading zero. Great. If it reads a negative number that means your fuel is good and the PCM is actually adding timing! Any other number other than a negative means Knock is being detected by the knock sensors and the car is pulling timing. With that said the next parameters to log are Load, RPM and Spark Advance. Earlier you inquired about engine coolant temp. That's another good parameter to log as well as iat2 (this is your heat exchanger intercooler temp) if it gets excessive it will retard spark advance too. Other parameters are Short Term Fuel Trims Bank 1 Bank 2 and measured A/F Bank 1 and Bank 2.

Thanks again for the business and I look forward to working with you again in the near future.

Van
Revan Racing, Inc.
561-445-7702

little-dw

Established Member
Good to hear you got everything installed and everything is running well.

1. If you want to see actual Engine Coolant Temperature you can use your SCT X4 and set up data logging. In there you can select ECT (Engine Coolant Temp ) as an item to data log and see what your temperatures get up to. Your car has a 192 degree thermostat from the factory so it will get up into that area over time.

2. At your current boost level the 13/14 GT500 has an excellent intercooler/heat exchanger system and you shouldn't require a dual fan heat exchanger at this time.

3. I've got customers with more than 25,000 miles on the kit and still running strong.

4. RWHP guesstimate. With your set up we've seen 675-700 RWHP.

With that said. If you go to a dyno data log the car. There are steps and provisions you can take to ensure success. I can't tell you how many times I've had customers call depressed because their car didn't make any power. No data logs. Then they go back and data log. Oops! There it is.

In some instances where the catalytic converters are still present the car can be in COT (Catalytic Converter Over Temperature Protection) which richens the A/F ratio but also slightly closes the the throttle body! Which is one of the reasons to data log actual throttle angle. Some other parameters to data log are Knock (if your 93 pump gas isn't up to snuff you can get knock) if its reading zero. Great. If it reads a negative number that means your fuel is good and the PCM is actually adding timing! Any other number other than a negative means Knock is being detected by the knock sensors and the car is pulling timing. With that said the next parameters to log are Load, RPM and Spark Advance. Earlier you inquired about engine coolant temp. That's another good parameter to log as well as iat2 (this is your heat exchanger intercooler temp) if it gets excessive it will retard spark advance too. Other parameters are Short Term Fuel Trims Bank 1 Bank 2 and measured A/F Bank 1 and Bank 2.

Thanks again for the business and I look forward to working with you again in the near future.

Van
Revan Racing, Inc.
561-445-7702

Thanks for the information. Today looks nice and I should be able to drive the car around some more and see how she does. I will read up on how to datalog with the SCT and go from there on checking everything you mentioned.

Also, I will be interested in the near future to get a simple suspension package to increase traction and decrease the fishtailing/wheelhop when spinning. Although I dont drive it much (maybe 250 miles/month), it would most likely see the dragstrip and not a road course.

It was great doing business with you as well!

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks for the information. Today looks nice and I should be able to drive the car around some more and see how she does. I will read up on how to datalog with the SCT and go from there on checking everything you mentioned.

Also, I will be interested in the near future to get a simple suspension package to increase traction and decrease the fishtailing/wheelhop when spinning. Although I dont drive it much (maybe 250 miles/month), it would most likely see the dragstrip and not a road course.

It was great doing business with you as well!

When you're ready to discuss suspension give me a call. I have a suspension package that I put together that eliminates wheel hop, enables greater traction and reduces (nearly eliminates) the rear end kicking out and when it does it is no where near as severe. Great for the street, strip and track.

Enjoy the new power!

Van

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Yes sir! It's on the way! Thanks again!.

Van

Thank you!

I just looked up the procedures to properly install the spark plugs and JLT intake, but I can't find any tutorials on the 13+14 GT500's. Is the procedure the same for the spark plugs and intake as the links below show?

Here's the link for the spark plugs:
http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/in...-spark-plug-change-step-by-step-instructions/

And Here's the link for the intake, with video:
http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=560

Van@RevanRacing

Thank you!

I just looked up the procedures to properly install the spark plugs and JLT intake, but I can't find any tutorials on the 13+14 GT500's. Is the procedure the same for the spark plugs and intake as the links below show?

Here's the link for the spark plugs:
http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/in...-spark-plug-change-step-by-step-instructions/

And Here's the link for the intake, with video:
http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=560

YES!!

NO ANTI-SEIZE on the PLUGS.

Van

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

Van
Revan Racing, Inc.
561-445-7702

GREAT info! :beer:

Van@RevanRacing

Van,

Why no anti seize on the plug threads?

Here ya go.

View attachment NGK_TB-0630111antisieze.pdf

Van

I'm also happy to report that the 13-6 Kit is back but now it features JLT's new HYDRO CARBON Cold Air Intake. JLT discontinued Carbon Fiber Cold Air Kits a few months ago and we've been waiting for these to come in. They are in stock and part of the 13-6 Kit!

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Here ya go.

View attachment 40367

Van

I'm also happy to report that the 13-6 Kit is back but now it features JLT's new HYDRO CARBON Cold Air Intake. JLT discontinued Carbon Fiber Cold Air Kits a few months ago and we've been waiting for these to come in. They are in stock and part of the 13-6 Kit!

Very interesting information. What should they be torqued to when being installed?

cdh027

Established Member
Van,

I'm sure you've already answered this before, but what gap do I put on the TR7ix plugs I bought from you to replace my TR6's? I have your 13-6 kit with upper pulley, 170 stat and ARH headers with offroad H. Is it still .028 ?

Users who are viewing this thread