Reusing intercooler bolts?

MrGlock81

Established Member
have you searched? Do not reuse them. There are some select few here that do and honestly, why? I mean really. Do people enjoy drilling out broken bolts?

Op, have you looked at the torq spec? They are torq to yield bolts and most people break some by just removing them. Go to american hardware or ace. Bring a bolt with you and pick up some stainless steel sockethead bolts with washers about the same length. Use blue loctite and torq to spec, which i think is 54 in-lb.

That is about $13 in bolts and washers that you never have to worry about replacing again. $13 is peanuts compared to what we spend on these cars.

I don't care what else someone posts up about reusing them. Do not. That is bad advice.

+1

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Also, if you don't want to break any bolts off I suggest using a small propane torch to help melt the factory loctite.
21917220148_large.jpg

I used a magnet to catch the bolts because they were HOT!
21917220149_large.jpg

But as you can see all bolts came out without any issue.
21917220150_large.jpg

21917220151_large.jpg

Another tip, if you meet ANY resistance while unscrewing a bolt, go he other way back and forth to loosen the factory loctite.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Have you searched? DO NOT REUSE THEM. There are some select few here that do and honestly, why? I mean really. Do people enjoy drilling out broken bolts?

OP, have you looked at the torq spec? They are torq to yield bolts and most people break some by just removing them. Go to american hardware or ACE. Bring a bolt with you and pick up some stainless steel sockethead bolts with washers about the same length. Use blue loctite and torq to spec, which I think is 54 in-lb.

That is about $13 in bolts and washers that you never have to worry about replacing again. $13 is peanuts compared to what we spend on these cars.

I don't care what else someone posts up about reusing them. DO NOT. That is bad advice.

Best advice! I didn't even use my manifold bolts. My manifold bolts and inner cooler bolts are both grade 8. Hell with fords weak sauce bolts!

TRBO VNM

I asked because thought maybe they were a speciality bolt that could not get at a normal hardware store .

Ok, then let me ask, not as a prick, but really wondering, do yo guys know what socket head bolts are? Some people really may not know. They can also be called allen head bolts since that is the tool used to tighten them. Whipple supplies them in their blower kits and accufab in their tbody and plenum kits.

Just a FYI, any hardware store I have been in, they carry them. But at the ones I listed above I have had the most success with the right sizes and quantity. In addition they have a lot of other little things in the same section that you would just never think about. So that store comes in handy big time for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread