Retrofit Headlight saga

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I have switched over the HID a while ago – and have enjoyed all the fun that comes with blinding all the oncoming traffic. I have been using 35W bulbs – so few oncoming drivers would flash their lights at me. However, with all the hot spots and such – I was left disappointed with this option.
In looking for retrofits, I gotta say the prices out there are high. I used to think it was insane – but after doing a set myself – I can see why they charge what they do. I can’t really afford it myself – so I thought I’d try my hand in doing my own retrofits.
I purchased a cheap set of headlights from Craigslist. Seller said they were OEM – but I have my doubts – I think they were aftermarket.
gWOUr2jl.jpg

Ugly as all get out – but a place to start from. Start by cooking them to soften the seal. 8 Minutes at 230 degrees F.

GCtrNlKl.jpg

Take them out and pry them apart:
vR3pLrKl.jpg

Learn that there are actually 2 screws in there. One at the top of the image (behind the gooey looking plastic) and other right next to the bulb hole:
NNZyIMhl.jpg

Reflector is mounted on 3 points. One is where it pivots from and other two control the vertical and the horizontal aiming.
8pnqSe9l.jpg
UMj9jGQl.jpg

Removal of the bulb shield was simple – push down on tab from the top of reflector. It come out pretty easily.
mxPcwH2l.jpg

With the bulb shield out to the way – I was able to test the fitment of the projector in the reflector.
tUaS6UYl.jpg

It fits right into the bulb hole. On this one I used the smaller crush washer between the reflector and the projector. There is a keyed washer that gets inserted into the back side before you put the nut in to tighten everything into place. I didn’t feel the need to trim down anything on the reflector.
yJcahqal.jpg

So – here was my first of several mistakes. I cut the reflector instead of the shroud. This was to make room for the shroud.
2IzCdLfl.jpg

I then proceeded to polish the lens (step obviously not needed if you use new headlights).
8WLEidvl.jpg

I spent some time removing all the old sealant. I probably should have just left it alone, recooked it and resealed it that way. Instead – I spent several night picking out the old sealant with a small screwdriver. So – take that as another mistake I made. I resealed it with ATV sealant, and put it all back together.
r2HRdCOl.jpg

It didn’t look too bad – but you can clearly see right in front of the projector where I cut the trim (unevenly I might add) to make room for the projector. This again – was a mistake.
k5o5PaNl.jpg

Here’s how it looked on the car. (Stock vs. Projector)
US71Lapl.jpg

It didn’t look too bad.
erF9npPl.jpg
N7tZVhCl.jpg

This was a test light output from just one headlight. I was liking the sharp cut off a lot.
hsEe7Vpl.jpg

I went ahead and installed them to get the feel of them. The light output is nice. I do feel bad though when the car moves up and down – so does the light. I feel I need to aim the down more than I should to ensure they stay out of oncoming traffic driver’s eyes.

Now – the high beams are very useful again; vs. just changing the hotspot pattern or giving me a real dim halogen bulb light output.

This project – done all wrong made me want to do it over from scratch. I’m in the process of completing my second set (should be done tonight).

There is still one issue I have not completely figured out how to correct. The 9007 bulb will seal the housing. The H1 bulb that is used with the projector is designed to be within a sealed housing (behind a cover). I'm still trying to figure out the best way to ensure it all gets properly sealed.

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
EDIT: after making a few builds I find the projects found on Amazon to lack in consistent quality. If I have learned on think in my trial and errors - it is that you should buy quality projectors. Instead of the cheap ones listed below - get the Morimotos. They have a great line of 2.5 inch projectors.

2.5 inch mini projectors I found on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/MINI-BIXENON-PROJECTOR-LENS-BULB/dp/B00B21R0TA

I purchased them from there because the seller is in USA. No bulbs included though; but quick shipping.

I have since learned that TRS has a similar small projector for $40 or so (they don't include the shroud though).
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/standard-mini-h1-bi-xenon-projectors.html#.VDLwBfldV8E

I'll have to share the inventory of what all I purchased to make this all work. If you like this one - you will for sure like what I'm completing later today.

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
So after creating the first set of headlights – I thought I’d try it again with a new set of headlights. I ordered a pair online – and thought I had ordered a black trim unit. When it arrived I was slightly disappointed with the fact that they were chrome all the way through. I double checked my order and the website – and I guess that it what I indeed did order – so I figured I’d forge ahead.
The initial process was all the same – I removed all the bolts and rubber attachments from the headlights and the cooked them, then separated the lens from the housing. I didn’t bother removing the reflector this time as I was just to insert the projector and seal it all back up. This time I took out my Miter saw and cut a very straight line on the bottom of the projector shroud. I put it all together to check it out and – not exactly my style – but it was looking good.
Msh1nBd.jpg

So, I put it all together – I drilled a hole in the reflector to pass through high beam cables through – and it was looking good.
nXJJCvz.jpg

I thought the only problem I’d have was that you could see the red/black cables with all this chrome everywhere.
I was getting ready to seal it all back up – so I was wiping off my fingerprints from the reflector – and then this happened. It is hard to see – but there is a Hello Kitting in the lens… Just kidding – the chrome was turning cloudy where I was trying to wipe off my fingerprints (in image below - slightly noticeable on reflection of phone). I did not realize this would be an issue.
kL6UupH.jpg

I felt that the cloudiness kind of ruined the whole thing. Unacceptable – but not really something I can send back to the vendor at this point either.
I figured I’d put rubbing compound on it – knowing it would make it worse, but hoping it would make it better. It made it worse.
ALLrdtq.jpg

So…. Screw it – I didn’t like the chrome anyways. I taped up the corner light area, removed the reflector and decided to go ahead and paint it black.
7dc7Rcb.jpg

I’ve never done this before – so I was bit concerned. I did 4 coats of black and one coat of clear.
zxN9O5U.jpg

The parts were starting to look much better. I put it somewhat back together.
OEnBE7k.jpg

It looked great to me. I’m really starting to really like it again. I put the trim back on.
KLivuqL.jpg

She was looking fantastic! Removing the tape did leave a few marks in the chrome – but they were minor. I knew the reflector would cover up some of the imperfections so I wasn’t too concerned.
I managed to get the driver’s side headlight completed. And drove to work with one old headlight and one new.
OPm02WU.jpg

It’s really hard to photograph the black headlight. It was also pouring rain on the way to work and the new headlight stayed dry inside (the old one – with the broken back seal did not fare as well).
Again – it is hard to photograph this lens. Here are a few attempts:
E6k0YEa.jpg

V2inYxW.jpg

TmZPc3z.jpg

Adjusted the aim on them. Low beam/high beam. I am aiming down low for now – my driveway has an upward slope toward the gate.
XlmqRTm.jpg

Mtz3GkF.jpg

What other drivers will see at night
jCKbd06.jpg

eSIGh5D.jpg

WHdMtJx.jpg

Not sure what this shows – my shadow from the high beams
CC9qbFH.jpg

Anyways - I'm very happy with the outcome the second time around.

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
nice job, so what was your total investment in the second set? and approximate man hours? thank you

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Total cost came to the ballpark of $136.43 (without the headlight housing).
That's not counting some $$ lost in trying to figure things out.

It would have taken me maybe 3 hours if I had left it chrome (including the aiming an such). It probably took me about 6 since I had to further disassemble the headlights and paint it. Painting alone took about 1.5 hours just waiting for the coats to dry before applying another one.

EDIT: I suggest getting Morimotos instead of the cheap projectors.
Same projectors as listed above: $44.44
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B21R0TA/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

You will need the relay HID Wiring (this is the wiring between your car and the ballast - also the High Beam trigger):
http://www.vleds.com/9004-9007-bi-xenon-in-line-high-low-switching-module.html
$20 +$2.99 shipping a pair (and all the work done for me - instead of trying to create this on my own).

HID Bulbs and Ballast (I purchased from a local shop in Garland).
$54 for an H1 35W

I'm adding $15 to the cost for Miscellaneous:
Adapters, screws, diodes, glue, and paint.

If you buy the above projector - you will need to also buy some #4/40 X 3/8 inch screws (not sure if longer screws will work as well - I just took the shortest ones I could find. I lucked out and found some SS screws on sale for $0.07 for a pack of 5. You will need 8 screws. (Please note - the image below is for brass screws instead of SS, Showing it mainly to show the size I purchased. I don't think brass vs. SS will matter much).
PxnxGVSl.jpg

Last edited:

redrocket16

Established Member
Nice job and like you said, there is a reason why the cost is a bit high with retrofitters. Also, if they mess up, they gotta buy a new set out of their pocket too.

Bigggy

Established Member
Wow why didn't you that before haha. Last winter I've ordered everything to do this retrofit on mine and I tought that the normal projector would fit..no they did not! Like you did I should have opted for the mini. Didn't even had time this summer to finish the first one...but eventually this winter I will finish both (need alot more work with the bigger projector).

Anyway, thanks for the write-up, it will surely help!

TRBO VNM

Are you really just pointing them out there and trying to aim? Do some searching online for aiming HID's. You need to be a certain distance back from a wall, garage door, or something and then mark a specific height from ground level on that "wall" and then you can start aiming.

Is it me or do they look almost green? What color/K did you get?

Other than that, good for you for tackling something like this. It is a lot of work to do it right and looks like you learned a lot in the process.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Light color should be 6K (camera for some reason picks it up as green). The cut off line to my eye is blue and the light itself looks white.

I know more or less where the lights need to hit on the gate to be in the ballpark of being right and at least not blind oncoming traffic. I have them aimed a little lower than that at the moment. I don't exactly have a good place to adjust the aim at the house since there is a slight incline up on my driveway. I will do a proper adjustment soon.

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
Looks good man. I might have to give this a try on an old pair of headlights I've got laying around.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I think I found a way to seal up the H1 bulbs yesterday. I was going through my garage inventory looking for clear silicone when I ran across a small tub of plumbers putty. The type I had says it was metal and plastic friendly - so I figured why not? Figured I'd at least give it a try to see what happens. Had a good amount of rain today on the drive to work again - and I hit a few puddles along the way. I'm expecting the housings to be dry inside. I'll be inspecting them later today to verify.
bg17J9U.jpg

Tractionless1

Established Member
Nice project thanks for the write up. For those that want a scatterless and easier option keep reading.

The same outcome is achievable in about 20 mins. total with LED conversion kits. Plug 1 wire into the OE harness on the car side, switch out bulbs, and plug the driver into the LED bulb. No scatter like HID's in the OE housings and no ugly projectors in a housing that was obviously not aesthetically designed for them. LED conversion kits are typically had at less than $85.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Did you really just call projectors ugly? I really think the work I did on my headlights makes it look way better than stock.

It's worth noting that if you have Hi/Low HID bulbs in your car - all you need to do is purchase the H1 HID bulbs/projectors/paint to do this project. You should already have the relays, and ballasts. Price wise it comes out about the same as buying the LEDs. Work wise - sure - it takes longer - several hours longer - but the outcome is better looking than a simple bulb swap.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Did you really just call projectors ugly? I really think the work I did on my headlights makes it look way better than stock.

It's worth noting that if you have Hi/Low HID bulbs in your car - all you need to do is purchase the H1 HID bulbs/projectors/paint to do this project. You should already have the relays, and ballasts. Price wise it comes out about the same as buying the LEDs. Work wise - sure - it takes longer - several hours longer - but the outcome is better looking than a simple bulb swap.

I absolutely did and it's fine, we're both entitle to our opinion. Mine is that our headlights look silly with a little lit circle in the center of them and even worse during the day. No matter how well it's done or how expensive the parts are it appears ricey. Thank Pep Boys and Ebay I guess. From the pics you posted, other than seeing a projector lens the outcome is exactly the same as the 20 minute LED swap.

I don't care what route an owner wants to go, just giving others viable options of on scatter light upgrades.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
In black it barely catches the eye at all. It looks like a smoked lens headlight during the daytime - you barely see the projector lens at all. The only reason you see the lens in the images above is because it is dark outside (nothing reflecting off the lens) and the camera flash is causing the projector lens to shine. I've already pointed out that these were hard to photograph and I chose the images that actually provided the most detail of what is going on inside the housing. Even when you see the lens - it is not so much different than seeing the bulb shield that you already used to seeing inside the stock housing. This should not be new news to you as even in your LED thread it has been shown and mentioned to you by another member.

Here is a good example of what you typically see during the daytime (I'm sure you see the Ricey circle because you are looking for it and not because it stands out):
TZixvnp.jpg

To be honest - once I switched to projector - the way the light is thrown out is completely different. You can say there is no scatter with LEDs all you want - there is scatter. It may not be as bad as HID in stock housing - but it is not at all the same as projectors where you can define a clear cut line of where the light will be and where it will not. You CAN however claim that the scatter is the same as stock - and I'm sure for most that is all they want to know - and it is great that there is an option out there that is brighter and more efficient that halogen (although I'd love to see you put an amp meter on high beams to see how much power those LEDs are actually pulling). I'll insist that there is a clear difference in how the light is thrown out through a projector and you don't get the same result with a 20 minute bulb swap.

Bigggy

Established Member
I will have to agree with Huachipato on that the beam of a projector headlight is a lot different than one from a reflector headlight.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I've already pointed out that these were hard to photograph and I chose the images that actually provided the most detail of what is going on inside the housing. Even when you see the lens - it is not so much different than seeing the bulb shield that you already used to seeing inside the stock housing. This should not be new news to you as even in your LED thread it has been shown and mentioned to you by another member.

Here is a good example of what you typically see during the daytime (I'm sure you see the Ricey circle because you are looking for it and not because it stands out): .

I'm not basing my opinion of them on your pictures but rahter those I've seen in person. I didn't see the ricey circle because I'm looking for it, I see it because it's obviously there and looks out of place in the housing as previously stated. Seeing said lens and ring is much different than the OE chrome shield that matches the housing behind it.

You can say there is no scatter with LEDs all you want - there is scatter. It may not be as bad as HID in stock housing - but it is not at all the same as projectors where you can define a clear cut line of where the light will be and where it will not. You CAN however claim that the scatter is the same as stock - and I'm sure for most that is all they want to know - and it is great that there is an option out there that is brighter and more efficient that halogen (although I'd love to see you put an amp meter on high beams to see how much power those LEDs are actually pulling). I'll insist that there is a clear difference in how the light is thrown out through a projector and you don't get the same result with a 20 minute bulb swap.

The definite edge line the projectors produce is sharper than the LEDs; however, there's no scatter throughout the beam when installed in a OE halogen housing in comparison to HID's. I've done the before and afters on each, you've not tested LEDs. I'm certainly not going to post misinformation nor make claims about work I haven't done. We are talking about 2 different points of the beam, you of the edge line and me of the entire illumination.

Users who are viewing this thread