Retrofit Headlight saga

vipergts281

Established Member
I finally got around to [almost] finishing my one headlight. I had some car troubles pop up that were more important than this, hence the delay.

Only thing left is figuring out how to seal up the back where that big rubber ring goes. I put the ring back on, but it's not sealed around where the bulb mounts and the wires come out.

Didn't you end up using a piece of PVC capping? Swear I saw something like that posted somewhere, wasn't sure if it was you. I did see that you used plumbers putty where the bulb backing is, maybe I'll just go that route.

And I also need to sand down the lense again. It looks fine until you turn the lights on, then you notice it has a greenish/yellowish tint to it.

Project has been a huge pita, and I only did one headlight so far. Some advice to anyone else thinking of doing this, if you have the money to spare, PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT. If not, I hope you have great patience.

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I actually stopped using the plumbers putty in the last few builds. I had a plastic piece that came with the headlight (it does look like the PVC tubing) and I just glued the top and sides to the rubber ring. You would think water would make it's way in somehow, but it doesn't. The headlight stays real dry. I've tested it driving in heavy rain and taking the car through car washes - they remain dry and clear.
pFkWzycl.jpg

abNAPdJl.jpg

I do use J.B. Weld to seal up the hole I make in the reflector. So the only holes left in the headlight are the 2 vent holes that are designed to be open and the small opening where the headlight bulb goes in.
In the picture below I'm using plumbers putty where the cables come through - but just imagine it being J.B. Weld instead.
N0Z0DRLl.jpg

vipergts281

Established Member
I actually stopped using the plumbers putty in the last few builds. I had a plastic piece that came with the headlight (it does look like the PVC tubing)
Damn, that looks like the perfect part. Guess I'll have to find something similar since my headlights didn't come with that piece.

Thanks for the post.

Users who are viewing this thread