Reputable shop recommends blower...

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
It is not about the instant torque or peak numbers, it is about the area under the curve and power/tq delivery. I hated the power delivery of my old Vortech setup, it really felt like a one trick pony (no pun intended). My 2011 has a much broader and more tractable torque band. It makes it much easier and more enjoyable to drive than my old Vortech car which made more peak power.

kevinp

Established Member
Preaching to the choir here.

Instant torque.

Nice for them 60 foots without using trans brakes, two steps etc, some guys do like to get decent ETs with their street cars.

Myself I like the feeling that I have a couple hundred extra cubic inches at all times - no waiting. Sometimes 'insane top end power' equals crappy bottom end power too :)

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Instant torque.

Nice for them 60 foots without using trans brakes, two steps etc, some guys do like to get decent ETs with their street cars.

Myself I like the feeling that I have a couple hundred extra cubic inches at all times - no waiting. Sometimes 'insane top end power' equals crappy bottom end power too :)

My old Vortech car was completely dead to the world under 4k. It was probably good for mid 120's but it felt slow unless you really would it up. It was a bittersweet time for me. I want to have my cake and eat it too. I think that is what the OP wants as well.

kevinp

Established Member
It is not about the instant torque or peak numbers, it is about the area under the curve and power/tq delivery. I hated the power delivery of my old Vortech setup, it really felt like a one trick pony (no pun intended). My 2011 has a much broader and more tractable torque band. It makes it much easier and more enjoyable to drive than my old Vortech car which made more peak power.

Exactly, average power is what makes the difference between 'feeling' and getting a car from point A to B the quickest.

Drive an 8000rpm redline 400hp 4.0 liter BMW M3, then hop into a 8000lb, 600ft lb of torque Duramax deisel. Both do the job, but why not have the best of both worlds. I never was a huge fan of PD blowers on street cars, but coupled with a good breathing engine like the new 5.0 and with the newer twin screw and TVS these is no lacking of top end power and you still get the grunt.

kevinp

Established Member
Have you driven a new 5.0 with a centri?

no, but engines are engines and superchargers are superchargers, I didnt consider the 5.0 to have much low end to begin with. A centri on my old 6L corvette was still pretty flat down low and an LS2 has a decent amount of torque. Like I said there is no magic involved, its very easy to explain why the PD's work well on these.

I never said a centri wouldnt be fun. I have probably owned 15 centri cars over the years and helped straighten out a few kits, I just said a PD works very well on these. Personally I can care less what anyone uses. I can make anything run well - be it NA, nitrous, blower or turbo (or combination of them) and so can many others. But my simple point is, PD blower, tires, tune = 10 second car at a reasonable DA, that is pretty hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread