Reputable shop recommends blower...

Bud

Established Member
If anybody is looking to piece together a cheap Roush TVS kit there is a head unit and associated parts for sale in the market...just sayin :-D

Could come out close to what the centri kits cost in the end but still get the PD blower TQ and 60ft times with the stock converter.

JerryC

Established Member
My car went 117 on 6 psi and 126@ 11 psi and letting off. I fail to see how the Roush or whipple have proven to be better than the centri. I'd say they are all pretty equal. All except cost. You can have just as much fun and go just as fast for less. And btw I'm at a DA OD 7200'.

Is the Procharger the only mod?

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Wait, so is the roush TVS head unit interchangeable with the Whipple? The manifold is the same? What if I wanted to go with a bigger head unit later?

Bud

Established Member
Wait, so is the roush TVS head unit interchangeable with the Whipple? The manifold is the same? What if I wanted to go with a bigger head unit later?

The lower manifold (they call it the Fuel Charging Assembly) is the same part number for both kits, verified in the instructs and I've asked a few vendors. I'm pulling off the roush tvs 2.3 and going to a 2.9L whipple because the air is so thin up here in colorado.

FRPP/Whipple http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/fordinstshtm-6066-mgt525d.pdf

vs

Roush: http://www.roushperformance.com/par...OUSHcharger-Kit-with-Calibration-10-11-11.pdf

Same part# in the instructs

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
The lower manifold (they call it the Fuel Charging Assembly) is the same part number for both kits, verified in the instructs and I've asked a few vendors. I'm pulling off the roush tvs 2.3 and going to a 2.9L whipple because the air is so thin up here in colorado.

FRPP/Whipple http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/fordinstshtm-6066-mgt525d.pdf

vs

Roush: http://www.roushperformance.com/par...OUSHcharger-Kit-with-Calibration-10-11-11.pdf

Same part# in the instructs

Probably not a bad move on your part at your altitude, curious to see how much you pick up with the 2.9.

Bud

Established Member
Probably not a bad move on your part at your altitude, curious to see how much you pick up with the 2.9.

The Roush would get me to my goals in time but for now I just have to spin it so much harder than people at sea level so I run into greater parasitic losses from the higher blower rpms and am running up against belt slip. If somebody made an 8rib overdrive damper I'd be good with this setup a little longer. ATI and Innovators are working on it, but no clue how far out it is.

I'm jealous of you sea level or even 2 to 3k DA guys! A one mod 10 second car is amazing. I got close up here, 11.2 one mod car :)

kevinp

Established Member
The Roush would get me to my goals in time but for now I just have to spin it so much harder than people at sea level so I run into greater parasitic losses from the higher blower rpms and am running up against belt slip. If somebody made an 8rib overdrive damper I'd be good with this setup a little longer. ATI and Innovators are working on it, but no clue how far out it is.

I'm jealous of you sea level or even 2 to 3k DA guys! A one mod 10 second car is amazing. I got close up here, 11.2 one mod car :)

You are doing well up there with the 2.3, I'm sure 11.20s is pretty impressive to most at your local track.

I used to run a procharged car around the country and I ended up at 6-7000' DA a couple times - makes you humble for sure.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
Ya. Not a lot of people realize how big of a pain it is to make power and run low ETs up here.

kevinp

Established Member
Ya. Not a lot of people realize how big of a pain it is to make power and run low ETs up here.

Yea, its hard to post up times when you are that high up there unless its local. Didnt bother me much because everyone at the track was in the same boat and I knew what the car ran at seal level.

Not only is the thin air bad for making power but its not good for pulling heat from intercoolers, radiators etc either.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
Which is why I don't post my times lol. It's good to know some people actually get it

Bud

Established Member
Just for fun: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhL_t6Cf4cE"]Bandimere Speedway, Morrison, CO. - YouTube[/nomedia]

/elevation sucks threadjack

cmsnake

Established Member
My times are on 524hp/497tq, I think the DA was 700 that night.
My car pushes 9-10lbs of boost.
Total mods, Blower, K&N filter, Roush AB's and wheels and tires.

I didnt touch a thing or change air pressures, drove to the track made two runs and left before I got kicked out.

Car was full weight with nothing removed with ~half a tank a gas. Some extra weight on the car was the wheels and tires and a tool kit.

I get the same mpg as before the blower and it is my daily driver.

My car isnt as fast as Kevin's, but his car was the inspiration for mine. Got to give him some props!
What wheels and tires did you have on that run?

My car went 117 on 6 psi and 126@ 11 psi and letting off. I fail to see how the Roush or whipple have proven to be better than the centri. I'd say they are all pretty equal. All except cost. You can have just as much fun and go just as fast for less. And btw I'm at a DA OD 7200'.
This is good mph for the conditions with a centri. Kinda of what I was looking for. What kind of power were you making at 6psi?

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member
What wheels and tires did you have on that run?

American Muscle Chrome GT500 replicas.
18x9 front with Nitto 555's
18x10 rear with MT ET ST Radial II's 305-35's
In total the combo is 18 lbs heavier than the stock wheels and tires, 6 front and 12 rear.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
I had some issues at the top end of the track. Not sure if I hit oil or coolant or what. But the tires broke free and the car started swaying pretty bad. I've got a vid somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread