Replaced the Mach 1

B0B

Established Member
I decided to start my own excavating company on the side. Tired of spending a ton of money renting machines while building my new house. Figured I would buy my own and at least make the payment on the machine by doing side jobs here and there. I've had it a week and already made 2k with it! Having a blast too.

behold:

36872932900_71f42f588e_k.jpg

37271125225_c1de8ad468_k.jpg

36872935990_99c7d28d27_k.jpg

36872930510_7eb64de608_k.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's great that you can make some money while you're renting it. Anything that helps pay down the rental is good. Did you have any training on that machine prior to renting it? I assume so.

B0B

Established Member
That's great that you can make some money while you're renting it. Anything that helps pay down the rental is good. Did you have any training on that machine prior to renting it? I assume so.

I actually bought this machine Bob. Rentals would be hard to make money with because they cost about 900 a week for something this size. I have about 100 hours of seat time from machines that i've rented so far. You can pick it up pretty quick if you understand what the machine is doing and the mechanics/physics behind it.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Great you can make some side money with this machine but if I was interested in you doing some work for me I would want to know if you had bonded insurance just in case something bad should happen while you're working on my property. Don't mean to sound negative--just trying to protect my interests and saving some money with you doing the work for me.

jbou91

Established Member
Great you can make some side money with this machine but if I was interested in you doing some work for me I would want to know if you had bonded insurance just in case something bad should happen while you're working on my property. Don't mean to sound negative--just trying to protect my interests and saving some money with you doing the work for me.

Who cares what you think, you're not going to use him anyway

coposrv

Established Member

Way to be a wet blanket. Bonding for simple home owner jobs? GTFO with that. He's not tying in water work or putting in septic systems. The small machine he has is doing minimal damage. He can still call an insurance company and get a liability policy for short money. Let the dude do his thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
It's a good business. One of my buddies does excavating with his dad and they can't keep up with the work being thrown at them.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Way to be a wet blanket. Bonding for simple home owner jobs? GTFO with that. He's not tying in water work or putting in septic systems. The small machine he has is doing minimal damage. He can still call an insurance company and get a liability policy for short money. Let the dude do his thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AND the guy lives on PA. and the OP is in Washington.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
The small machine he has is doing minimal damage.

This machine could do a serious amount of damage if a gas line, sewer line, underground electric, etc were struck.

A machine even this small can dig a hole or trench over ten feet deep.

A simple call to digsafe would help minimize these risks.

OP what is the weight of this machine, and what are the licensing requirements where you live ?

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
Envious...How are you making money? I want to pick up a piece of equipment and work on the weekends as well. Ads or word of mouth?

RichM1983

Established Member
A Mach 1 would barely knock a dent in the price tag of that machine! lol Congrats though. In my state anyone could own and do work on one of these for someone. No license required. In this litigious world we live in now I do hope you have something to CYA though.

joshcarp81

Established Member
good call on hydraulic thumb. comes in super handy on the mini-ex's. the right size too.
if you don't want to buy a dump truck, might I suggest a dump trailer, could also haul machine in it. good luck!

B0B

Established Member
This machine could do a serious amount of damage if a gas line, sewer line, underground electric, etc were struck.

A machine even this small can dig a hole or trench over ten feet deep.

A simple call to digsafe would help minimize these risks.

OP what is the weight of this machine, and what are the licensing requirements where you live ?

It's a 10k lb machine. Lots of power. I have a business license and insurance on the machine as well as liability insurance in case I damage something. I will pursue a bond if I need to, but I don't right now. Digging less than 4 feet you don't need any special licenses or anything. You have to be smart and do research before just digging a big hole.

Envious...How are you making money? I want to pick up a piece of equipment and work on the weekends as well. Ads or word of mouth?

Thanks, it has just been through friends that have passed the word along. No ads so far. I made $1200 this weekend and worked about 9 hours

A Mach 1 would barely knock a dent in the price tag of that machine! lol Congrats though. In my state anyone could own and do work on one of these for someone. No license required. In this litigious world we live in now I do hope you have something to CYA though.

Thanks, the mach put a nice down payment on it!

good call on hydraulic thumb. comes in super handy on the mini-ex's. the right size too.
if you don't want to buy a dump truck, might I suggest a dump trailer, could also haul machine in it. good luck!

I'm saving up all the money from the jobs I'm doing to get a nice big dump trailer. That will get me by until I can buy a dump truck. Hopefully I can pay cash for a dump trailer next month. Crazy how much money you can make with these. I wouldn't have bought one without the thumb and two buckets

joshcarp81

Established Member
good call on decisions made so far buddy. if your in a small 3nough town word of mouth will go far. I started my own 2 years ago and only have a vinyl wrap on tailgate. word of mouth will be advertising as long as you are honest, fair with pricing and communicate. I can't believe how many jobs I've got because contractors won't call back or just don't show up.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Honestly (Well at least in my area) Stay with the dump trailer or maybe a small 6-8yrd single axle dump truck.
Find a company with tandem/Tri axle trucks to work with.
They supply big trucks when needed and in turn they recommend you for any jobs they haul for when a machine is needed.
Stay away from the hassle that comes with class 8 trucks if you are a small business.

I have a John Deere 50D which is also 10K
You can make 1200-1500 all day just digging swimming pools down here.
Done in 4-8 hours depending on size.

I also recommend multiple buckets. I have 10" trenching with teeth. Great for not only trenching but for ripping through tree roots.
24" regular digging bucket. 4' cleanout bucket (Smooth lip) which is also used when digging pools.
and a strange ass flat bucked with no sides. It is used when cleaning out the bottom of a ditch to set culverts in because I can easily pick up the culvert.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely something you don't expect to see on here.

Very cool.

I would love to have one just to fsu

Users who are viewing this thread