Repaint Crystal White Cobra or sell opinions

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I've gotten to the point where I just hate the car because of the crappy crystal white paint flaking issue. I started to DD it this year, and the paint shortly after begun flaking. Its flaking on the edges of the roof now, behind the license plate frame area, the inside of the gas tank lid, the engine bay, and bottom of both doors.
Before it started flaking the paint was my pride, ask any one local who's seen my car, the paint was fantastic.

Not sure how much it would be to repaint it, but from what I hear $2000 gets you an average paint job. I don't feel like spending thousands on paint. Wish I knew about the paint issues with white 3 years ago :mj:
Money spent there means no money for mods. Beater bomb SN95 with no power lol.

Would you SN95'ers repaint it or sell it before it becomes more noticeable or move on to an S197 GT or possibly a 350Z? Maybe even a Fox and a mid 2000ish DD.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
If the car is in good shape overall, repaint it. I dont care for the S197 or the new edges, unless its a Cobra. Id rather a 370Z over the 350Z.

Cowtown

Established Member
If you're not stepping into a Terminator or Mach 1 I'd just repaint it, but that's me. The car I'd replace, or augment my Cobra with at this point is the new GT350 and that's only if I'm lucky and they build it for more than one model year, I may be in a spot by then to afford one.

Anyways I'd repaint it and keep going since it seems like you really love the car itself. I know how it is though, once something like that taints the car it can be hard to keep going with it. I've often regretted tossing a car for ultimately fixable things in the long run.

F8L BYT

Established Member
key it and call it in on insurance lol just kidding.... But seriously I would paint it, because even with the issues now it just lost a lot more value because of the paint issues... Especially if it's paid off I would keep it. S197's unless it has a coyote are slow and 350z suck really bad trust me

GRUSE

Established Member
Repaint it,why not do it yourself?Most local vocational schools offer evening courses in auto body for about $150 a semester.Talk to the instructor he may get the whole class into your project.Since you would be using their paint booth sanders etc,all it will cost you is materials and time.2g will get you an ok middle of the road BC CC paint job from most shops.I Went to a few body shops to talk about getting my car done.Was amazed they all said (insert any color) is one of the more expensive paint colors.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
If the car is in good shape overall, repaint it. I dont care for the S197 or the new edges, unless its a Cobra. Id rather a 370Z over the 350Z.
The car is in great shape overall. Only a few tiny dings and a couple knuckles from an ex gf. I'd rather the 370 too but my wallet doesn't agree. I just think a 350 would be a nice daily.

If you're not stepping into a Terminator or Mach 1 I'd just repaint it, but that's me. The car I'd replace, or augment my Cobra with at this point is the new GT350 and that's only if I'm lucky and they build it for more than one model year, I may be in a spot by then to afford one.

Anyways I'd repaint it and keep going since it seems like you really love the car itself. I know how it is though, once something like that taints the car it can be hard to keep going with it. I've often regretted tossing a car for ultimately fixable things in the long run.
I thought about a Mach but its essentially the same exact car, albeit they are cooler. Also, in Arizona there are not many for sale. There are 3 total for sale here and only 1 is nice. Same issue with new edge Cobras. Well I wish you luck and I hope that you can get a GT350!

I love the car, just really depressing to see the paint start to flake. Well paint is fixable but costly. That's money I had set aside for a built T45 and nitrous.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
key it and call it in on insurance lol just kidding.... But seriously I would paint it, because even with the issues now it just lost a lot more value because of the paint issues... Especially if it's paid off I would keep it. S197's unless it has a coyote are slow and 350z suck really bad trust me
Haha I don't have the guts to do that. Well it doesn't really have any issues besides the paint. Stupid crystal white. Yeah I bought it cash, I hate payments. I'd love a mustang with a coyote motor but it is not in the budget. The 350z was more of a thought than something I'd probably do. They are cheaply made but I like the way they look. And 05-09 GT are just as slow as our cars.
350Z? Say what? lol no.

Save and repaint it.
350z was more of a thought than something I'd do lol. A cheap fun DD that is more modern was my thought process. I just hate to have to deal with paint. All I hear and read are horror stories and how much a paint job costs is ridiculous to me. Feels like they almost want more than the car. Not to mention, I can't have it repainted while I am in school as it is now my DD.
Repaint it,why not do it yourself?Most local vocational schools offer evening courses in auto body for about $150 a semester.Talk to the instructor he may get the whole class into your project.Since you would be using their paint booth sanders etc,all it will cost you is materials and time.2g will get you an ok middle of the road BC CC paint job from most shops.I Went to a few body shops to talk about getting my car done.Was amazed they all said (insert any color) is one of the more expensive paint colors.
Trust me when I say that I am not the best with craft related to my hands. I failed art class if that tells you anything. Yeah I've heard 2k is an ok paint job at best. I find that ridiculous. Not to mention the car is simply just white. Ha, I can already see those replies at body shops coming.

I've thought about plasti dipping it but it'll pull the paint right off.

96Mystic1189

Established Member
It sounds like you are more worried about going fast than anything else. With money for a T45 and nitrous you would be good to go to start painting it. 350z are the worst cars I have ever driven. If it were me I would just keep it. Sometimes I do not realize how far along my cars have come until I sell them and regret it when I am spending the same money on the same things but on a different car. I see 1 sn95 cobra a month so that goes to show that there are not many left, at least here.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Seems smarter to spend a little (even tho it is more than a little) on a solid car that you like than to sell it and put up a pile of money towards a newer used car that likely won't be perfect either. Seems like you have not had stuff painted before but it's worth getting a good paint job instead of half price for worse paint IMO. Definitely do some checking around. There is stuff that pisses me off about my paint and I hope to never do a whole paint job on the car but who knows

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
My crystal white paint is flaking in two spots, pisses me off when I see it as well. I would just save and repaint, itll be worth it in the end. I would think cost effective in the long run vs buying a newer car with a monthly note.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Are the flaking issues resolved if you get a quality paint job? I recently picked up a Crystal White Cobra that has been repainted Hyper White. I want to go back to the Crystal White but have some concerns with the flaking issues.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Seems like I often see you talking about getting something different. If that's what you want, do it. Nothing wrong with trying other vehicles.

If you want to keep it though and are really concerned about the cost of paint, I would wrap it or dip it until you're ready.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Ask yourself, minus minor paint blemishes if you have honestly seen one or any SN in your area half as nice. You love your car, get a ton of compliments and it's low mileage, rust free and straight as an arrow. Keep it, eventually get paint.

Don't get a nissan. I'll fly home and cut you. :rolling:

bumsoil

Established Member
my CW is peeling under the driver door(a lot missing), behind the passenger door(a lot missing) under passenger and driver rear pillar's, over the driver door, the gas cap area, under hood, in trunk jam, on trunk lid, and other places I cant remember ATM. both bumpers looked terrible but whey were repainted after a light accident.

I hate my paint, but I will keep buying ford touchup paint (which looks yellow compared to my paint) because im too poor to paint my car and its in good mechanical shape.

I would paint it. even with its flaws its sexy: 10648214_10152560541171943_2383537374191481435_o.jpg

bumsoil

Established Member
10805640_925177647492643_4033600262817951672_n.jpg

BTW this is my most recent while gently washing my car with a microfiber cloth. touched it up and its mostly unnoticeable. if you look above it you can see where its chipping off. that whole panel is going to strip soon.....

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I'd actually prefer for it to look good than to be fast. The nitrous and built t45 is something I've wanted for awhile though. I do see that if I were to get a different similar car it would take more money to get it to where mine is. I just don't want to sell it and regret it. I enjoyed my GT a lot because there was always something to upgrade and work on, NPI haha. I never see an SN95 Cobra around here, I saw a clean stock white one the other day. I hadn't seen another one in about 5 months. At car shows, when it comes to SN's there are few and not to boast but mines always the cleanest. Good point.

Yeah nissans are usually junk, I just like that it is more modern.
And no, I've never had anything but the s281 wing painted before. I'm just perplexed that a couple thousand is an average paint job.

Deceptive: I'm not sure, I've been wondering that myself with no clear answers. If it is repainted crystal white, will the same thing happen again in a few years? If so, that is a waste of money. If that was the case I'd go with a different color.

I've thought about just wrapping it but some local friends say its not a good idea because the flaking paint will cause it to bubble. Might wrap the roof black though, since that paint it about to go.

bumsoil

Established Member
if you wrap it the wrap will bubble and when you pull it off the paint will come off in sheets.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Seems like I often see you talking about getting something different. If that's what you want, do it. Nothing wrong with trying other vehicles.

If you want to keep it though and are really concerned about the cost of paint, I would wrap it or dip it until you're ready.
Haha, someone noticed that. I just like to constantly work on something and keep doing research. With this car, not much else to do besides forced induction. I'm in college working part time so no money for boost at the moment. Well technically I do have the money for it, but not the time to work out issues and tuning. I miss that on my old GT I was constantly doing research and upgrading as it was a slow npi gt lol.

I am considering dipping it but if I dip it the flaking paint will flake the plasti dip right off. I've seen a few pictures where a white sn was plasti dipped and the paint pulled it all off.
Ask yourself, minus minor paint blemishes if you have honestly seen one or any SN in your area half as nice. You love your car, get a ton of compliments and it's low mileage, rust free and straight as an arrow. Keep it, eventually get paint.

Don't get a nissan. I'll fly home and cut you. :rolling:
Well, we both know the answer to that lol. It is a well kept and clean car, but this paint is depressing. No more car shows for this cobra lol. You know I stopped doing mods years ago when I realized the paint was about to fall off.

Haha I think I talked myself out of the nissan with everyone's help here. Idk, thought about buying a cheap fox to DD but I might start sinking money into that and make it non DDable lol.

Users who are viewing this thread