Repaint Crystal White Cobra or sell opinions

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Haha I think I talked myself out of the nissan with everyone's help here. Idk, thought about buying a cheap fox to DD but I might start sinking money into that and make it non DDable lol.

Thats why you buy a DD that you dont mod or cant mod (because no one makes anything for it).

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
if you wrap it the wrap will bubble and when you pull it off the paint will come off in sheets.
Sounds like our paint is going down the same road. Having nice paint is important to me, so its kind of depressing. I do agree that the white touch up paint looks yellowish. I can see where you touched up on that panel, that's how yellowish mine looks on the edge of roof. I mean if I paint it, it will be 2 years from now once I am done with school and have a solid job.

Yeah, I have a feeling that it will bubble and come off like that. However, that just means I won't have much sanding to do when the time comes. Damn white.
Thats why you buy a DD that you dont mod or cant mod (because no one makes anything for it).
I had a prerunner toyota pickup with the 22re that I got bored with and did a full 4x4 swap. Spent tons of money. More like wasted it. I could have painted the car already. I got bored of daily driving that.

For me, a DD has to be fun or I get bored. A fox would be fun but not comfortable. Also, if I bought a DD that would leave no money for mods nor paint. And, why not DD the Cobra if its starting to look like crap with paint issues.

96Mystic1189

Established Member
I think I will be looking for a sn95 gt to daily drive in the spring. Sometimes driving a boring car is not worth it and it seems most sn95 gt cars a pretty reliable when not hacked up.

MustangMatt77

Established Member
+1 to paint it.
Now this may sound weird or down right crazy, but have you considered Maaco?
I know, I know, the late 80's commercials. I felt the same until my friend with a 98 GT Vert, crystal white had a small driver side fender shoving match with a SUV. He lost.
3 weeks ago he removed all his trim and sent his car to the local Maaco. He opted for the middle of the three paint plans they have. After a week and $1900, and he decided to go with 2014 performance white, I have to say it looks very good.
The thing is so damn bright it hurts to look at it with the sun reflecting off it.
I'm convinced enough I'm having mine repainted to 2014 deep impact blue.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I think I will be looking for a sn95 gt to daily drive in the spring. Sometimes driving a boring car is not worth it and it seems most sn95 gt cars a pretty reliable when not hacked up.
Yeah I've done the boring car thing and got tired of it. I've been daily driving the Cobra for about 5 months now and I've loved every minute of it. Well at least until I remember about the paint issues. Yes, SN95 GT cars are pretty reliable. I've been considering a 94/95 because they are cheaper than foxbodies.
+1 to paint it.
Now this may sound weird or down right crazy, but have you considered Maaco?
I know, I know, the late 80's commercials. I felt the same until my friend with a 98 GT Vert, crystal white had a small driver side fender shoving match with a SUV. He lost.
3 weeks ago he removed all his trim and sent his car to the local Maaco. He opted for the middle of the three paint plans they have. After a week and $1900, and he decided to go with 2014 performance white, I have to say it looks very good.
The thing is so damn bright it hurts to look at it with the sun reflecting off it.
I'm convinced enough I'm having mine repainted to 2014 deep impact blue.
No, never have. So he did a full paint change and it was only $1900? Not a bad price. Any pictures? Performance white is very sexy. With Maaco it depends on the shops reputation. Same with auto body places though.

MustangMatt77

Established Member
No, never have. So he did a full paint change and it was only $1900? Not a bad price. Any pictures? Performance white is very sexy. With Maaco it depends on the shops reputation. Same with auto body places though.

Yeah, the original price was 1400, but he upgraded to have the door jambs and trunk done. He did save some money by removing his own trim.
They didn't do the engine bay or under the hood, but I'm sure they would depending on your situation.
I will get some after pics and post, I think I only have one pic of the car right after the elder crunch.

Cowtown

Established Member
The thing is with good paint jobs the devil is in the detail and that is most important in the preparation. You can get paint jobs for dirt cheap (see MAACO) but you get what you pay for and that's a guarantee. Maybe you can luck into a MAACO that cares but my experience with them over the years is the paint jobs are garbage. If you need to repaint a Honda Civic or something then fly at it, collector or show car? Heck no! Had a friend get the middle of the road package done to his modded T-Bird back in the day and the paint after was embarrassing. If he had gone to the shop I had recommended and paid $7-800 more he would have had a much better paint job.

I had my 81 T-Top Coupe repainted in the mid 90's and while I worked out a bit of contra with the shop to save money, the job they did was amazing. Took a few weeks to do it right but I went from a completely beat black paint to Dodge Viper red. Because they actually put time into the sanding, prep and primer the paint was excellent. So for a car like this, save the extra 500-1000$, wait a bit longer and get it done properly.

My suggestion is to chat with the owners in a local Mustang club, especially the ones with the classics. They'll point you at the good shops, typically with the people that are fans of the car who will do you right and probably price it well for you. Some may even affiliate with the Mustang club offering a discount, it all adds up.

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Can you just fix the trouble areas? Might be cheaper and paint shops are decent at paint matching.
White is not the hardest to match, so not a bad idea, However, I have heard it is better to just repaint the entire car. But from what I can see, the paint likes to flake off every body panel on the sn95 minus the bumpers.
Yeah, the original price was 1400, but he upgraded to have the door jambs and trunk done. He did save some money by removing his own trim.
They didn't do the engine bay or under the hood, but I'm sure they would depending on your situation.
I will get some after pics and post, I think I only have one pic of the car right after the elder crunch.
Removing the trim at home is a very good idea to save some money. I wouldn't paint the door jambs nor trunk since I'd be painting it white again. Although, my engine bay is flaking. Yeah I'd love to see the final product pics when you have time! I bet it looks sharp!

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
The thing is with good paint jobs the devil is in the detail and that is most important in the preparation. You can get paint jobs for dirt cheap (see MAACO) but you get what you pay for and that's a guarantee. Maybe you can luck into a MAACO that cares but my experience with them over the years is the paint jobs are garbage. If you need to repaint a Honda Civic or something then fly at it, collector or show car? Heck no! Had a friend get the middle of the road package done to his modded T-Bird back in the day and the paint after was embarrassing. If he had gone to the shop I had recommended and paid $7-800 more he would have had a much better paint job.

I had my 81 T-Top Coupe repainted in the mid 90's and while I worked out a bit of contra with the shop to save money, the job they did was amazing. Took a few weeks to do it right but I went from a completely beat black paint to Dodge Viper red. Because they actually put time into the sanding, prep and primer the paint was excellent. So for a car like this, save the extra 500-1000$, wait a bit longer and get it done properly.

My suggestion is to chat with the owners in a local Mustang club, especially the ones with the classics. They'll point you at the good shops, typically with the people that are fans of the car who will do you right and probably price it well for you. Some may even affiliate with the Mustang club offering a discount, it all adds up.

Yeah I completely agree with you. A body shop would have better prep. I doubt I'll be going maaco though. I'd rather paint the Cobra right and pay a little more. But that time is a long while from now. By then the paint will have fallen off and I'll save on the sanding lol. I'd rather them take longer but get a very good job done.

Unfortunately the local mustang clubs are full of young kids with brand new coyotes, boss, and GT500s around here so asking them for paint advice is not a good source. But I do know a friend who learned to paint and he actually repaint this several pieces of a mystic cobra. For the price, it came out pretty good. Some minor details needed a wet sand but pretty good. He painted my wing, but I just wish he actually had a booth. He did paint his M3 himself and it looked fantastic! But he took his time as it was his car.

MustangMatt77

Established Member
Here is my friends Maacco car.
I don't have any before shots.

imagejpg1_zpsc4be5bea.gif

Last edited:

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
If you take your car to maaco prep it yourself. Or get someone else to.

White is easy to blend the problem is getting the panels clean enough. Blending into a yellowed out panel looks awful. But to the untrained eye... It'll pass.

Users who are viewing this thread