Removing the dang balancer

cb900f

Established Member
Is there some trick? I've seen peeps grab it from the inside, but I cannot seem to get my 3 jaw to fit inside. :-/ It shouldn't be this difficult!

Suggestions? Extra gasoline to burn the dang thing down?

uploadfromtaptalk1440706893148.jpeg

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Get the claws down on the spokes and pull from there. I think there was even little pads on corner of each spoke for the claws to go behind.

Edit: woops, I see you tried that already. Flip the claws around and/or use the other holes on the claws till you get a combo that gets in there

Last edited:

cb900f

Established Member
Get the claws down on the spokes and pull from there. I think there was even little pads on corner of each spoke for the claws to go behind.

Edit: woops, I see you tried that already. Flip the claws around and/or use the other holes on the claws till you get a combo that gets in there
I'll have to go borrow another puller from the local parts store. This one won't handle it. :-/

Tx5.0

Established Member
I used a puller I got from harbor frieght. It was about $20 for a 3 pack

JTS_7

Established Member
are you installing a ATI? If so you need a bolt that is long enough to walk it on.

I believe I also used a HF puller after trying many from advance/autozone. It was a PITA. Putting the AC belt back on is also pretty annoying if you don't have a tensioner on your car.

Tx5.0

Established Member
Getting it back on is tough if you don't have a stupid long rod. I went to Ford and they let me borrow the correct tool for the job.

Use zipties to get the ac belt back on. Takes not even a minute doing it like that.

Slowb00st

Established Member
Getting it back on is tough if you don't have a stupid long rod. I went to Ford and they let me borrow the correct tool for the job.

Use zipties to get the ac belt back on. Takes not even a minute doing it like that.

Care to elaborate?

Does anyone have specs on the long bolt to install the ati?

cb900f

Established Member

Oh I got a long rod!!!! Lmao.

Not installing ATI yet. Hopefully Blake Holcombe will do that for me.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I believe I used the closer holes on the puller.

I took the belt off with a crowbar and turning the crank by hand. Came right off in 2 seconds. Put the A/C belt on the compressor fully and bent the belt around the back side of the ATI. Then just held the belt with my hand on the ATI while turning the crank by hand. Belt went right back on. No zip ties needed.

JTS_7

Established Member
M12x1.5 130-150mm is the bolt. Bought it from Fastenal.

I also used zip ties to get the belt on, took like 2 min.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I believe I used the closer holes on the puller.

I took the belt off with a crowbar and turning the crank by hand. Came right off in 2 seconds. Put the A/C belt on the compressor fully and bent the belt around the back side of the ATI. Then just held the belt with my hand on the ATI while turning the crank by hand. Belt went right back on. No zip ties needed.

Zip tie method does not work with the ATI balancers.

JTS_7

Established Member
Not sure what the "zip tie method" is exactly. But I did use zip ties to aid in my install and had no issue.

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
no zip ties need to put the belt on. just slide the belt with ribs facing out behind the balancer and front cover at the top.
put the belt on the a/c pulley and on the bottom of the balancer rotate the eng counter clock wise to pull the belt on. With that any time you move the motor with the key off you should do a crank relearn.

JTS_7

Established Member
no zip ties need to put the belt on. just slide the belt with ribs facing out behind the balancer and front cover at the top.
put the belt on the a/c pulley and on the bottom of the balancer rotate the eng counter clock wise to pull the belt on. With that any time you move the motor with the key off you should do a crank relearn.

Why would you need to do a crank relearn? The way I see it, there is no difference from rolling it around in neutral with the car off?

The sensor is on the clutch side nothing to do with the balancer.

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
turning the engine over from the front or the back won't mater. I have seen guys change a clutch and never remove the flywheel and need a crank relearn.

Users who are viewing this thread