Remove A/C to cut weight -2012 GT

twistedneck

Established Member
Nice thing about removing A/C from a coyote ala cobrajet or world challenge car is you do not need a special belt or pully to make other accessories function, there is nothing on the belt except the A/C compressor far as i can tell.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Other ways to lighten a car besides pulling the A/C. I really don't use my A/C often, except on days when temps are 100+ or when i get stuck in the rain and i use defrost. I still wouldn't think of pulling it though, have done it in the past with a lot of my previous cars and realized its stupid unless your trying to meet a weight class. There's other ways to drop weight in a car without ruining it.

alex3610

Established Member
Not sure about the climate where the op lives, but around here, I would rather put my dick in a vice and smash my nuts with a ball peen hammer than take a perfectly good A/C system out of a street car. Not worth it. Just my opinion.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Enough GM performance folks thought it was a great idea. I understand no woman will ride in my car on hot days, but that's about the only thing stopping me. I have a case of z28 envy now.

You're going to have to do a lot more to a 5.0 than remove your AC to be competitive with a Z28.

Hmmm, sorry boss stands no chance.

As well it shouldn't. The regular Boss is a $44k car, GM has already said the Z28 is going to cost more than the ZL1 does which puts it in the ~$60k range at a minimum.

Not sure about the climate where the op lives, but around here, I would rather put my dick in a vice and smash my nuts with a ball peen hammer than take a perfectly good A/C system out of a street car. Not worth it. Just my opinion.

It's really not, especially if it's your daily. You might get a .1 in the quarter mile out of it? Yeah, no.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Taking the A/C out was something you did to a Fox body in 1992 when you were 22 years-old...because stripping weight was the only way you could afford to go fast. Dreading rounding the stuff up to put it back in was something you did when you were 30 because you regretted gutting the car to make it a 1/10th quicker and sweating you ass off for the last eight years.

I lol'd.

I have a 92 that I did just what you typed out when I was in my early 20s. I bought the 12 at almost 30 years of age and learned from my mistakes. This car will be full weight and I won't sacrifice any driveability.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Dude go buy a z28 already. This post is beyond lame. You will never race the car that hardcore. Stop posting already. You dont even deserve to own a mustang.

twistedneck

Established Member
Considering the AC is in front of the front axle line its even more bank for the buck since its a free remove. That should be something you can feel and measure, but i'm also curious about the belt drag losses from the existing setup.. on a NA setup such as mine this is one of the few mods that not only improves handling, acceleration, HP, and braking, it makes the steering quicker and its FREE. that seems compelling enough to risk some sweat in a Michigan summer.

I just wish it was more than a 25lb save.

Dude go buy a z28 already. This post is beyond lame. You will never race the car that hardcore. Stop posting already. You dont even deserve to own a mustang.

Get off my thread desperate.

Last edited:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Considering the AC is in front of the front axle line its even more bank for the buck since its a free remove. That should be something you can feel and measure, but i'm also curious about the belt drag losses from the existing setup.. on a NA setup such as mine this is one of the few mods that not only improves handling, acceleration, HP, and braking, it makes the steering quicker and its FREE. that seems compelling enough to risk some sweat in a Michigan summer.

I just wish it was more than a 25lb save.

Get off my thread desperate.

Not one person agrees with you. Shows what a stupid idea it is. Are you taking the air bags, seats, carpet, center console, radio, speakers out? Your out of your mind. You look dumb.

grnenvy

Established Member
lol

lol YES!

Taking the A/C out was something you did to a Fox body in 1992 when you were 22 years-old...because stripping weight was the only way you could afford to go fast. Dreading rounding the stuff up to put it back in was something you did when you were 30 because you regretted gutting the car to make it a 1/10th quicker and sweating you ass off for the last eight years.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Honestly, I think the z28 will be the fastest camaro they produce to date. Lets not forget they shaved the 1le down abit and gave it 3.91 gear which netted a 12.7 @111or12 which is comparable to our coyotes. Now, they have an even more gutted camaro thats basically a 4 seater z06 as it has the LS7. Hmmm, sorry boss stands no chance.

ummmm... what?

it's still heavy, and taking the a/c out didn't do jack shit for it. Yea sure it will turn better with wider stickier tires, but so will any car.

Your post is a face palm. 4 seater z06... go read some on the z06 its a completely different animal

NinjaBum

Established Member
When I had my GTO, the AC went out in it and due to my incredible laziness, I didn't fix it for a year.
I went through a Georgia summer without it. You couldnt pay me to do that again.

Maybe if this was some gutted track car with a cage and one seat, then sure go for it. If its just a tooling around car that you drive on the roads more than the track then its a stupid idea IMO.

kevinp

Established Member
You wont get anywhere near .1 in the 1/4 from removing the compressor/condenser and lines. There isnt any large brackets or tensioners to add weight, I've held a newer Ford compressor in my hands and I bet it weighs 10lbs if that, the condenser maybe 5lbs.

As far as parasitic loss, just unplug the compressor clutch and you have as much loss as an idler puller which is nil. Or you can just cut the belt..

If you need the room for a turbo piping, dry sump oil pump or a motor plate thats another story lol. Or if you are going to gut the whole car that 15lbs adds up. Thats great if you are looking to build a car that will seriously compete, but to do it because a new Camaro does it not the best of reasons :)

burke985

Established Member
Its so hilarious to me that chevy has to throw the biggest motor possible in a camaro just to keep up with a lil ole coyote 5.0

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Its so hilarious to me that chevy has to throw the biggest motor possible in a camaro just to keep up with a lil ole coyote 5.0

True, but lets not kid ourselves here. The LS7 is no joke. Take it from me. This new "Z2806" will be a contender for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twistedneck

Established Member
Not one person agrees with you. Shows what a stupid idea it is. Are you taking the air bags, seats, carpet, center console, radio, speakers out? Your out of your mind. You look dumb.

How u managed to take this thread personal is dumb..

You could have said the same things without insults. We are not on yellowbullet here.

burke985

Established Member
True, but lets not kid ourselves here. The LS7 is no joke. Take it from me. This new "Z2806" will be a contender for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may not be a joke but the joke here is still on chevy. Let ford's engineers design a 7.0 litre motor and shove it in a mustang that would be no joke either. Its still a fail unless it comes in at under 40 grand. Not to mention they had to put a vette motor in it ,lets put the gt500 motor in GT and see where that gets us. Its more desperate than innovative

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread