Remove A/C to cut weight -2012 GT

Fun4me

Established Member
I never use a/c, so its doable. But I dont think you should do it unless you've removed all the easy weight first, as mentioned previously.

mtrsprt

Established Member
Removing 26lbs of A/C components because of Z28 envy? Umm no thanks... 305 tires on all four corners is something to envy.... NOPE.... Unless it's going to be on a road track 80% of its life MAYBE..... GM has done NOTHING right for the Camaro since it came back.

The Price of the Z28, and the horrow show look of it, will make it no more of an under achiever than the ZL-1......

Fun4me

Established Member
Removing 26lbs of A/C components because of Z28 envy? Umm no thanks... 305 tires on all four corners is something to envy.... NOPE.... Unless it's going to be on a road track 80% of its life MAYBE..... GM has done NOTHING right for the Camaro since it came back.

The Price of the Z28, and the horrow show look of it, will make it no more of an under achiever than the ZL-1......
On paper it looks like it would be nice for the track. We'll have to see and find out.

Bud

Established Member
Waste of time..

tumblr_lzpok6Tb971qfgy8t.jpg

...agreed though, on a street car, not sweating your ass off > the limited weight savings. Lots of other places to ditch weight before that step.

Fun4me

Established Member
The more i think about it, the 5.0 gets hot from the motor/tranny. I've driven in plenty of cars w/o ac, but you really need it in the mustang.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
tumblr_lzpok6Tb971qfgy8t.jpg

...agreed though, on a street car, not sweating your ass off > the limited weight savings. Lots of other places to ditch weight before that step.

Lol.. I think of WR as a car-wide approach, if you are willing to do it. AC'd be one of the last things to yank when the car goes on a diet. Those who do will drop a few hundredths.

twistedneck

Established Member

Its only really only 26lbs? if that's the case its not even close to worth it I was thinking more like 50-60lb save.

Is there drag on the compressor and belt when its free wheeling? That may be why GM got rid of it, I cant see them sacrificing the function of an A/C system for 26lbs.

flS/R

Established Member
A/C is an available option for the z/28. Even GM knows that some people are going to want comfort on the days they are not going to be racecar

mtrsprt

Established Member
Its only really only 26lbs? if that's the case its not even close to worth it I was thinking more like 50-60lb save.

Is there drag on the compressor and belt when its free wheeling? That may be why GM got rid of it, I cant see them sacrificing the function of an A/C system for 26lbs.
It MIGHT be 32lbs at the most. I can see them sacrificing it, because the car is a pig. Still will be once people put them on the actual curb scales.

I removed two A/C systems on some of my previous cars, and I will never do it again. Those mid to high humid 95*+ days are killer even at 55mph with the windows down. Swamp ass, and sweaty back is not pleasant.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
Are you going to be road racing or bench racing? What the hell does it matter if you're never going to be going toe to toe with a Z/28 on a road course?

1 speaker sounds quite gimmicky.

Federal regulations. Required to have an audible seat belt chime. Need a speaker for that.

The Z/28 is cool for what it's supposed to be. I'd much rather have had the wheels/brakes/aero as an option on the standard SS, but I always want my cars to do all things well, not just one.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
It MIGHT be 32lbs at the most. I can see them sacrificing it, because the car is a pig. Still will be once people put them on the actual curb scales.

I removed two A/C systems on some of my previous cars, and I will never do it again. Those mid to high humid 95*+ days are killer even at 55mph with the windows down. Swamp ass, and sweaty back is not pleasant.

This, my 71 does not have ac and heading anywhere in the warmer months sucked, swamp ass and back to no end with vinyl seats

mrfiveoh

Established Member
Honestly, I think the z28 will be the fastest camaro they produce to date. Lets not forget they shaved the 1le down abit and gave it 3.91 gear which netted a 12.7 @111or12 which is comparable to our coyotes. Now, they have an even more gutted camaro thats basically a 4 seater z06 as it has the LS7. Hmmm, sorry boss stands no chance.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Ha i laugh at the random unknown FACTS about a car that isn't even on showroom floors yet :shrug:

Yup a 4 seater z06 with a corvette price tag.

My camaro love stops at the 4th gens.... you know back when they weighed less then trucks...:dw:

Last edited:

01GTB

Established Member
Taking the A/C out was something you did to a Fox body in 1992 when you were 22 years-old...because stripping weight was the only way you could afford to go fast. Dreading rounding the stuff up to put it back in was something you did when you were 30 because you regretted gutting the car to make it a 1/10th quicker and sweating you ass off for the last eight years.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
Taking the A/C out was something you did to a Fox body in 1992 when you were 22 years-old...because stripping weight was the only way you could afford to go fast. Dreading rounding the stuff up to put it back in was something you did when you were 30 because you regretted gutting the car to make it a 1/10th quicker and sweating you ass off for the last eight years.

:lol::kaboom:
That was me.. except I sold thecar instead of putting it back together.

Users who are viewing this thread