Remote Oil Cooler installed and pics of my thermostat bypass setup for track use

SlowSVT

Established Member
ok. if that is enough, then i'll go this route. What about fresh intake air? i will not be removing my fog light and have a brake duct attached to the other inlet. Will there be enough incoming air?

That will severely limit the air getting to the rad and reduce the cooling capacity of the system. Are you tracking the car? If not then the brake duct won't be needed as much since they are not constantly hauling the car down from speed after a long straight. What you can do is route some of the cooling air from behind the oil cooler to the brakes or better yet, route the brake duct adjacent to the HE where there is high pressure air. The exhaust air behind the cooler will not be very hot and will still cool the brakes. If the car is primarily used on the street the ducts won't have a big effect on the braking performance because they are not used as hard as on a road course. Keeping the oil cool is very important more so then providing additional cooling to the brakes unless you’re working them to the point of heat saturation.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Unless people are tracking or road racing these cars with air to air oil coolers replacing the factory oil heater/cooler, then they are going to have more issues getting the oil hot enough THAN COOL enough.

IMHO The main reason for doing this mod is not reducing oil temps.
It is for reducing engine coolant temps. When the water mix coolant boils bad things happen, oil doesn't operate so close to it's boiling point.

By reducing the amount of BTUs that are loaded into the engine coolant, and INCREASING multiple gallons per hour of pumping capacity by removing the restriction of the water to oil OE cooler/heater.

The car will then run cooler for at least three reasons.
1. The primary cooling fluid(OIL) will be more efficiently and effectively cooled
(engine oil, the only thing that cools pistons, rings, pins, rods and cranks)

2. The engine's secondary coolant (water mix) flow will circulate at a higher rate.

3. The engine secondary coolant will also be less burdened, with less overall BTUs to remove, since the oil BTUs are no longer added in.

Flying debris field from the left front tire rarely leaves, even sticky slicks, that late, so as to present a major damage problem for an exposed oil cooler on the front side of the tire.
The screen restriction is dependent on how open it is, and even that can be over come by a fan with more BTUs.
Fine screens however are simply not needed or desirable.

During even spirited street driving it will be a rare occurrence(in a fender well oil cooler car) to need to even turn the fan on.

Last edited:

keith89

Established Member
Unless people are tracking or road racing these cars with air to air oil coolers replacing the factory oil heater/cooler, then they are going to have more issues getting the oil hot enough THAN COOL enough.

IMHO The main reason for doing this mod is not reducing oil temps.
It is for reducing engine coolant temps. When the water mix coolant boils bad things happen, oil doesn't operate so close to it's boiling point.

By reducing the amount of BTUs that are loaded into the engine coolant, and INCREASING multiple gallons per hour of pumping capacity by removing the restriction of the water to oil OE cooler/heater.

The car will then run cooler for at least three reasons.
1. The primary cooling fluid(OIL) will be more efficiently and effectively cooled
(engine oil, the only thing that cools pistons, rings, pins rods and cranks)

2. The engine's secondary coolant (water mix) flow will circulate at a higher rate.

3. The engine secondary coolant will also be less burdened, with less overall BTUs to remove, since the oil BTUs are no longer added in.

Flying debris field from the left front tire rarely leaves, even sticky slicks, that late, so as to present a major damage problem for an exposed oil cooler on the front side of the tire.
The screen restriction is dependent on how open it is, and even that can be over come by a fan with more BTUs.
Fine screens however are simply not needed or desirable.

During even spirited street driving it will be a rare occurrence(in a fender well oil cooler car) to need to even turn the fan on.

This helps. thanks.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would like to add that elevated oil temps will break down the lubricating properties of the oil rather quickly. Synthetic oil can tolerate high temps better but like Jimmy pointed out the oil removes heat directly from the bearings.

haskett

Established Member
Good discussion.

Jimmy, the reasons you stated are exactly why I did my oil cooler. I wasn't concerned about oil temp. I was concerned about getting BTU's out of the engine bay and improving the coolant flow.

Btw, if you trash your inner fender like I did, Parts Geeks has them for $13 plus $10s&h.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Good discussion.

Jimmy, the reasons you stated are exactly why I did my oil cooler. I wasn't concerned about oil temp. I was concerned about getting BTU's out of the engine bay and improving the coolant flow.

Btw, if you trash your inner fender like I did, Parts Geeks has them for $13 plus $10s&h.

Good to know!

That reminds me, I need to move one of my Brake Duct plastic ties to a different anchor point ---->THAN MY POWER STEERING LINE!!:bash:

If it got torn off during "an off", that would not end well.:nonono:

haskett

Established Member
Good to know!

That reminds me, I need to move one of my Brake Duct plastic ties to a different anchor point ---->THAN MY POWER STEERING LINE!!:bash:

If it got torn off during "an off", that would not end well.:nonono:

It know we're off topic, but I can't resist....

The first year I did Big Bend, my right side brake cooling duct came undone at the front at 140 mph during the first practice run. The copper line wrapped itself around everything possible under the car and was dragging about 20 feet behind the car when I came across the finish.

I took a lot of cutting with snips to unravel the mess.

Lesson learned: there is a LOT of aero force involved at speed. The trick is to use that force for good, not bad.

I didn't learn that lesson well, though, because 2 weeks ago I drove the car with one of my radiator boxing components not screwed down and it shot out the back of the car when doing 70 on the tollway. :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread