Religion vs Science debate: bring it in here

Jack Burton

Established Member
Hey you wanna believe that the everything is billions of years old, that 480 millions years ago fishes became reptiles which became humans, and there are little green men flying around in spaceships more power too you.

Come on now. Be reasonable. You're a religious man. You know Damn well those aliens are nelphilim.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Imo , Saying we are "worm food" when we die and there is no god, is for the people who want to live like they want and be a sinner all their life. They don't want to think of when they die, that they had a choice to live right and they didn't, so now they will spend eternity in fire and be tortured forever.

Cliche # 256, the "You aren't a believer because you want to be a sinner and not be held accountable for your actions".

There is absolutely nothing about being religious and dogmatic that makes a person more morale or good.

On the flip side, being religious and feeling that you must adhere to the perceived authoritarian commands or you will be subjected to an eternity of torture doesn't make your morale in the first place. It just makes you a gullible person with selfish intentions.

Lets say there is no god( there is )and when you die, that's it. No heaven or hell. Then all the true Christians time on earth was spent following a man that was a nobody. but it doesn't matter cause there is no heaven or hell. Everyone just dies and its like your asleep forever. Now lets flip it. There is a God and he gives you a choice to live as close to him as possible and follow his teachings and if you accept him in your heart, you will live in eternity forever with him with no pain or sorrows. But if you choose to make fun of all this and say there is no god and choose not to believe in him, then when you die, you spend eternity rotting in fire where the worm never dies, and you will be tortured every second forever.

:lol:

Tell us more about how we will be in fire, and tortured and the worms because we don't believe the same nonsense that you do...

I believe that was an attempt at Pascal's wager which is a tired "argument".

Seems like you're taking a lot bigger risk with your non belief. If you are right, I have nothing to lose, I'm gonna be asleep forever. But, if I'm right, you have everything to lose.

Ignoring the superficial nature of this argument...

If you are right congrats, you get to be an abject slave for eternity. If you are wrong you have squandered your only true life following commands of other humans that you gave power and authority too voluntarily.

If I am right I have lived a righteous fulfilling life. If I am wrong heaven would be hell for me anyway.

None of this is a good reason to ignore empiricism and logic and instead rely on ancient mysticism though.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
They just don't get it lookngo. I'm with ya bro

There is an agenda here by the majority of the posters. DaleM admitting he is a part of a growing belief. I'm indifferent to him and all others with differing views. My post were to point out his intolerance of others. I succeeded.

Richter888

Established Member
Imo , Saying we are "worm food" when we die and there is no god, is for the people who want to live like they want and be a sinner all their life. They don't want to think of when they die, that they had a choice to live right and they didn't, so now they will spend eternity in fire and be tortured forever. Lets say there is no god( there is )and when you die, that's it. No heaven or hell. Then all the true Christians time on earth was spent following a man that was a nobody. but it doesn't matter cause there is no heaven or hell. Everyone just dies and its like your asleep forever. Now lets flip it. There is a God and he gives you a choice to live as close to him as possible and follow his teachings and if you accept him in your heart, you will live in eternity forever with him with no pain or sorrows. But if you choose to make fun of all this and say there is no god and choose not to believe in him, then when you die, you spend eternity rotting in fire where the worm never dies, and you will be tortured every second forever.

Seems like you're taking a lot bigger risk with your non belief. If you are right, I have nothing to lose, I'm gonna be asleep forever. But, if I'm right, you have everything to lose.

So this is your excuse? You have to have a fear of eternal pain and torture to be good? This is a point that I have never gotten. I must be evil because I don't believe in a holy book or disbelieve in a eternal existence outside this one, good or bad.

Yet all of the church goers would think they are good people simply because they go to church and believe in god. This requirment/argument blows my mind.

oneof185

Established Member
So people "want" to believe so they don't suffer. Also want to believe so they can "think" anyone they love is "in a better place". Too many people think they can act like ****s all week, go to church on Sunday and somehow they are saved. Give me a break!

1badsilversvt

turn up the boost
Established Member
So people "want" to believe so they don't suffer. Also want to believe so they can "think" anyone they love is "in a better place". Too many people think they can act like ****s all week, go to church on Sunday and somehow they are saved. Give me a break!

No, that's what you have to avoid. I believe because I love The Lord. You can't act like you want and go to church and think its ok. Church has nothing to do with being saved

Richter888

Established Member
No, that's what you have to avoid. I believe because I love The Lord. You can't act like you want and go to church and think its ok. Church has nothing to do with being saved

Let me clarify. My statement was a common one and too broad. I understand that not all people who go to church are bad. There are quite a few though, I can tell you that much. I understand that PART of the point of going to church is for community involvement or family. However, the primary point IS to praise god. Otherwise, what is the point really? Past that point it becomes a glorified(pun intended) community activities center. But yet, attending church is a requirment of your faith is it not?

Only reason I mention this is because of your statement prior. You generalize any nonbelievers into a single mindset that we are all mindless sinning people, only looking out for our own evil intentions. The door swings both ways. Plus what about others that don't believe in YOUR god? Are they to be categorized the same, or do they get a pass because they believed in something? Even if it was wrong.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
1badsilversvt said:

I want to travel back to the 1600's and prevent Blaise Pascal from penning this utterly ridiculous argument because the unwitting religious predictably execute it time after time despite it being thoroughly refuted from a great variety of angles. Then again, it's not like the unwitting religious care much for sufficient counterarguments, especially the devastating ones.

Do you really think deep belief can be swayed by a policy of protecting your own hide?

Do you really think an omniscient being won't see through your fear-based ruse?

Do you think Allah would look more favorably upon a Christian than an atheist?

Pascal's wager?

Get real.

:bored:

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Non believers are the fastest growing "belief group" out there. We are evolving past the tribal social enslavement. Many are good to have all the answers handed to them, it is indicative of your intellectual laziness.

I keep having this re-occurring thought that the true Jesus has been reborn here and now, not the spoon-feed version the Romans gave us after they killed him. Speaking of why would anyone worship a religion that was rewritten by the same people who killed its founder?

Anyway this little voice keeps telling me Mary Madeline and Jesus have been re-incarnated to experience this shift along with the rest of humanity.:-D

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Justa600 said:
Hey you wanna believe that the everything is billions of years old, that 480 millions years ago fishes became reptiles which became humans, and there are little green men flying around in spaceships more power too you.

I don't expect you to grasp this, but I'll post it for the sake of other readers.

It's not a matter of BELIEF when it comes to the reality of the genetic relationship that all organisms on earth share...

...it's a matter of ACKNOWLEDGING the objective evidence of reality, whether you like it or not. It's called intellectual honesty. We don't think that all organisms on earth are related because we like the idea, we think this because THIS IS WHAT NATURE IS TELLING US VIA EXPERIMENTAL OBSERVATION!

:bash:

o2k

Noob
Established Member

can you prove there are no little green men flying around in spaceships?

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
If I have to tolerate being referred to as a fool because I choose to withhold belief in God due to a lack of supporting evidence, then I need to say this to the anti-evolution folks:

You're either genuinely ignorant or willfully ignorant.

Either way, you're seriously ignorant.

The truth of your despised relationship with the great apes is stamped on every 2nd chromosome in your body. It's a fused chromosome. The great apes (orangutans, chimpanzees, and gorillas) have 24 chromosomes. We have 23.

What a grand biological coincidence, right?

Here's a diagram of the fused chromosome in your body that is the smoking-gun of evidences for the genetic relationship we humans share with the great apes:

evolution-chromosome-fused-markup.jpg

NOTE: A normal chromosome has two telomeres at either end, and one centromere near the center.

But don't take it from me. Take it from Kenneth Miller. He's a cell biologist at Brown University. He is also a devout believer in Christ:

[youtube_browser]zi8FfMBYCkk[/youtube_browser]

:read:

Justa600

Established Member
You're either genuinely ignorant or willfully ignorant.

Either way, you're seriously ignorant.
evolution-chromosome-fused-markup.jpg

I see a picture of something with scientific terminology. EVIDENCE? Hardly...

But if thats what is accepted as "scientific evidence" then I make the case that the depictions of giants in ancient art is BETTER evidence of biblical giants then the above recreation of a chromosome is evidence that monkeys evolved into humans.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
o2k said:
He didn't even answer my question yet.

Don't hold your breath.

People who want the facts to conform to their beliefs naturally become very adept at avoiding certain avenues of question.

Users who are viewing this thread