Reinforcing torque boxes?

Djstorm100

Established Member
You'll have to to excuse me as my background is mostly fox bodies.

Long story short when having higher engine power and stick tires do we need to reinforce the torque boxes? Where the control arm bolts to the car's frame.

On foxbodies they would rip,tear out of the car if you ran slicks/drag radial

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
On the new cars you just buy the Upper Control Arm Mount.

BMR Mustang Upper Control Arm Mount - BMR Fabrication - Upper Control Arms - Control Arms - Suspension - 2011-2013 Mustang GT 5.0L

Our upper control arm mount is a direct replacement for the OE piece and requires no drilling or welding to install. The last generation Fox body Mustangs had upper control arm mounts incorporated into the frame. They also had two upper control arms sharing the load but drag racers were continually ripping the mounts off of the frame when racing. The solution for those cars was to weld reinforcement plates onto the frame. This new Mustang platform only has one upper control arm and the mount is bolted into place. Our upper mount is made from heavy duty 1/4" plate and can be either bolted or welded into place. Additionally it has dual control arm mounting points for changing instant center.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm happy with the steeda 3 pt braces that connect the torque boxes with the inner and outer frames. Added weight was negated by removing the rear axle donkey balls.

86merc

Established Member
You don't see "battle boxes" for these cars like you do with the Foxbody. I have the Steeda 3 point brace. I am sure it helps some. Evolution Performance sells a different version that mounts with the control arm bolt, unlike the Steeda unit.

I plan to weld the factory seams on the lower mounts and maybe add some plates for reinforcement.

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Stiffler's subframe connectors with a UCA and LCA is all you need.

These cars still have a lot of flex. These will tie your frame together a lot. Just recently proved they work when they saved my life.

Users who are viewing this thread