Recording Traffic Stops?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Tried, but I guess I'm just not wording it right, as I can't find anything specific, just minor mentioning of it in discussions or something.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Lol go to your community college and take a basic Internet class. I used

"is north carolina a two party notification state". Give it a shot it might work for you the same way.

PudgeTheMidget

Established Member
Lol go to your community college and take a basic Internet class. I used

"is north carolina a two party notification state". Give it a shot it might work for you the same way.

Yeah, I used the exact same search but all that came up was telephone laws and how we are a one party state; I was asking more specifically about face to face audio and maybe video communication recording as I'm sure they're probably different specific laws pertaining to each scenario

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Yeah, I used the exact same search but all that came up was telephone laws and how we are a one party state; I was asking more specifically about face to face audio and maybe video communication recording as I'm sure they're probably different specific laws pertaining to each scenario

. They all come under the same statute and as far as I have been able to tell it is the same whether it is on the phone or face to face. Recording is recording and the same rules apply.

PudgeTheMidget

Established Member
. They all come under the same statute and as far as I have been able to tell it is the same whether it is on the phone or face to face. Recording is recording and the same rules apply.

Hm, not what I expected, but well enough. Thank you for the help!

95t88h

Established Member
This is a little off topic but, if Florida is a two party state and you must notify the other person/party that you are recording the conversation wouldn't the same apply for an officer? Or is the law written in a way that they are exempt from this law?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
This is a little off topic but, if Florida is a two party state and you must notify the other person/party that you are recording the conversation wouldn't the same apply for an officer? Or is the law written in a way that they are exempt from this law?

Officers are exempt if they have a warrant. Their are exempt with their vehicle equipment as well. When acting outside their official duties they are under the same rules as everyone else

Sent from my phone whilst taking a massive

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Question for the Florida people:

Do the LEO's in florida not have dash cams in their cars and microphones on their person recording a traffic stop?

Im asking because most LEO's in my area in Texas do, and their dash cam recordings (video and audio) can be supoena'ed. (I have done so, and even had one ticket dismissed using the officers own recordings).

Though, texas is a "one party" state, so you dont have to notify the other party of the recording.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
How many times do you have to be told the same thing for you to get it?

The sky is blue.
The sky is blue.
The sky is blue.
The sky is blue.
The sky is blue.
The sky is blue.

LOOK UP DUDE!

the sky is blue. :shrug:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
How many times do you have to be told the same thing for you to get it?

The sky is blue.
The sky is blue.
The sky is blue.
The sky is blue.
The sky is blue.
The sky is blue.

LOOK UP DUDE!

the sky is blue. :shrug:

But what if i dont like that answer? I want the sky to be turquoise!

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
put on your rose colored glasses blue + rose = turquoise

Elton.gif

Last edited:

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Question for the Florida people:

Do the LEO's in florida not have dash cams in their cars and microphones on their person recording a traffic stop?

Im asking because most LEO's in my area in Texas do, and their dash cam recordings (video and audio) can be supoena'ed. (I have done so, and even had one ticket dismissed using the officers own recordings).

Though, texas is a "one party" state, so you dont have to notify the other party of the recording.

Yes we do. Some agencies have them and some don't. And they are public record and the violator has every right to subpoena them.

In regards to the recording question; once we arrest or detain someone and put them in the back of the car, they have no expectation of privacy and we don't have to tell them they are being recorded. You can record the Officer as long as you tell him but I wouldn't go pointing a camera or phone at an LEO.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Didn't read most of the thread since it kept changing. Don't see the purpose of recording the conversation because it probably wouldn't have a bearing on the case for the reason you were stopped. I do know that most stops are recorded anyway by officers. Have a few police friends and all their cars have cameras and other recording devices once they initiate a stop it's already being recorded. I think the last thing you would want to do is get pulled over for something and act like a dick trying to provoke an officer because you are secretly recording the conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread