Recording Traffic Stops?

Rossim22

Established Member
Do you think there is any officer who is going to give you his consent to record him? The answer is no. However, you dont need his consent, you just need to inform him that it is being recorded.

Officers do not choose to install their own dashcams, it is department/agency policy for numerous reasons, mostly for support of later prosecution.

Also, what criminal traffic violations are you committing in Florida as there are very few and they would have little to do with what the officer says to you.

You arent eavesdropping on your own conversation, there are two people there. Thus, the conversation is meant only for those two people unless otherwise indicated (i.e. with notice of recording) and a recording would violate the privacy of that conversation since you are only one part of it.

I love how people bitch about the laws in this country. I suggest you travel to Eastern Europe and try this stuff there, or better yet South America.

I agree with the first part of your response that I just have to tell them that they're being recorded. That seems to be what most people are telling me.

However your explanation of eavesdropping makes no sense. If I am one of the two people in the conversation than why would I be charged with eavesdropping and not whoever hears it?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Stock cars come from the factory with tint on their tail lights so it has nothing to do with the color. Just the effectiveness of the lights themselves.

But there's the usual response, you all going off on a tangent. I'm asking in regard to my safety if I can keep a recording device in my vehicle when an officer pulls me over. It's my own conversation in which I can not eavesdrop on

You can keep a recording device in your car in Florida. It is not illegal. You keep missing the point. It is a private conversation between two parties until one party informs the other that it is not private. Therefore to record the "other" party and what "they" say is unlawful in Florida and Federally, unless you give them the opportunity to realize that it is not just between the two of them. Feel free to record only your side of the conversation all you want without notice.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Stock cars come from the factory with tint on their tail lights so it has nothing to do with the color. Just the effectiveness of the lights themselves.

That wasn't the question. He wanted to see YOUR tail lights. Post 'em up.

And which cars come with factory tint on the tails?

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You can keep a recording device in your car in Florida. It is not illegal. You keep missing the point. It is a private conversation between two parties until one party informs the other that it is not private. Therefore to record the "other" party and what "they" say is unlawful in Florida and Federally, unless you give them the opportunity to realize that it is not just between the two of them. Feel free to record only your side of the conversation all you want without notice.

Would be an interesting trick if he can accomplish it

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I agree with the first part of your response that I just have to tell them that they're being recorded. That seems to be what most people are telling me.

However your explanation of eavesdropping makes no sense. If I am one of the two people in the conversation than why would I be charged with eavesdropping and not whoever hears it?

Florida and Federal law are two party states by statute. That means that both parties must be aware of that the recording is going on. The conversation does not belong to you alone as there is another party involved and deserves as much knowledge of the recording as the person doing the recording, simply because you know not to say anything incriminating and the other party does not have that opportunity.

Also, what I am telling you is as a Former Fed LEO, current Florida LEO and Florida Prosecutor. But, seriously dont take my word for it.

Further, the person who hears the recording is going to be doing so at the urging of the person who recorded it most likely. Additionally, the person listening to the recording was not a party to the conversation nor the person recording and therefore has no obligation to ensure that it was recorded within the law. The person doing the recording has that obligation.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

But there's the usual response, you all going off on a tangent. I'm asking in regard to my safety if I can keep a recording device in my vehicle when an officer pulls me over. It's my own conversation in which I can not eavesdrop on

But there is a difference in a car with tinted lights FROM THE FACTORY and you putting on aftermarket parts or tinting them yourself. The cars tinted from the factory have passed all federal manufacturing laws that concern them. And I think the point of carrying and recording an encounter with LEO's has been answered several times in this thread by actual LEO's. Are you one of those that keeps asking over and over just because you don't agree with the laws hoping that an answer will change?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

. I think he was talking about that red shit they come with.

Rossim22

Established Member

2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-rear.jpg

2012-Infiniti-FX35-Rear-Side-600x361.jpg

2011-Audi-A4-Rear-Angle-View.jpg

and most recent:
diamondwheels.jpg

silver03svt

Established Member
Uh, I don't see any tint on the the first two. you're seeing the depth of the interior part of the lens. Not tint.

FAIL!

Rossim22

Established Member
Uh, I don't see any tint on the the first two. you're seeing the depth of the interior part of the lens. Not tint.

I'm just showing the color of the tails, because that's all the tint does. If it restricts the light to a point where you can't see it from 1000ft then it becomes illegal. Mine perfectly matches the stock spoiler tail light and yeah thats a bad angle in the pic, it's also on the shadow side and not clean so dark as it gets, when the tail lights of off.

BUT AGAIN THIS IS NOT ADDRESSING MY QUESTION. STOP GOING OFF ON TANGENTS

silver03svt

Established Member
I'm just showing the color of the tails, because that's all the tint does. If it restricts the light to a point where you can't see it from 1000ft then it becomes illegal. Mine perfectly matches the stock spoiler tail light and yeah thats a bad angle in the pic, it's also on the shadow side and not clean so dark as it gets, when the tail lights of off.

BUT AGAIN THIS IS NOT ADDRESSING MY QUESTION. STOP GOING OFF ON TANGENTS

YOUR QUESTION HAS BEEN ADDRESSES SEVERAL TIMES AND ANSWERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you're bringing up the tangents! Now you're just starting to be a troll. And a bad one to match your taillight tint.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member

FAIL!

Exactly. One of my friends has a SS Camaro and I swear you can see his tail lights from space. Those are factory designed and are bright as hell for a reason.

Last edited:

Rossim22

Established Member
the cobra has a tint on it. Our tail lights are red as hell from the factory.

wow welcome to the party man. Yeah that was the point, to show that they match the 3rd brake light and aren't black. The officer probably is used to seeing bright red and wanted to pull me over so he noticed that there's tint. However, they still are fully functional as far as light efficiency. ONCE AGAIN NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD FELLAS

silver03svt

Established Member
wow welcome to the party man. Yeah that was the point, to show that they match the 3rd brake light and aren't black. The officer probably is used to seeing bright red and wanted to pull me over so he noticed that there's tint. However, they still are fully functional as far as light efficiency. ONCE AGAIN NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD FELLAS

Look, Im sure you may be an okay guy in real life, but why can't you understand that your question has been answered multiple times in this thread? You're the one that brought up the cop stopping you for tint on your taillights and now you're telling us that's off the original topic. NO SHIT. But you brought it up trying to make a cop look stupid. Too bad you're failing at that too. The cop was correct. Your taillights are tinted, and by your own admission. That means they're probably illegal.

WHy don't you re-read this entire thread and count how many times your original question has been answered for us (assuming you can count that high). :beer:

PudgeTheMidget

Established Member
Where can I go to find specifically if NC is a two party state? Or Adam, I know you said its federal does that apply to any state then, that you have to notify the other party?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Where can I go to find specifically if NC is a two party state? Or Adam, I know you said its federal does that apply to any state then, that you have to notify the other party?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
Google. You will come up with several sites with a list

Users who are viewing this thread