Recording Traffic Stops?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
The Supreme Court has ruled that police officers are allowed to lie to you. "If you don't tell me what going on you're going to jail", I've heard that, I didn't say anything in response and guess what, I walked away. The police are allow to say things like we have evidence even when they don't or we have witnesses even when they don't to obtain confessions or any statements they so choose they want. As for my drivel, everything I told in my last thread was true, that cop broke a law to enforce a law, that's why it got you flustered.

Go back and re-read that read and quote where I got flustered. Also, tell me exactly what code section (local, state, federal) that the officer in your thread broke. Until you can PROVE that he did by citing a SPECIFIC code, don't sit here and say that cop broke the law.
As for cops lying to people, that's not the issue here. The issue here is the OP wants to know if he can legally video record the officer while on a traffic stop. A cop lying has nothing to do with that. What I don't understand is this....people who are so hell bent on bashing cops for how they do their job don't even know the laws in their own damn state, county, town to begin with. If ignorant morons have to question the police once they are detained as to what is or isn't legal, then maybe they should stay home and lock themselves inside.

cohhbra

Established Member
Go back and re-read that read and quote where I got flustered. Also, tell me exactly what code section (local, state, federal) that the officer in your thread broke. Until you can PROVE that he did by citing a SPECIFIC code, don't sit here and say that cop broke the law.
As for cops lying to people, that's not the issue here. The issue here is the OP wants to know if he can legally video record the officer while on a traffic stop. A cop lying has nothing to do with that. What I don't understand is this....people who are so hell bent on bashing cops for how they do their job don't even know the laws in their own damn state, county, town to begin with. If ignorant morons have to question the police once they are detained as to what is or isn't legal, then maybe they should stay home and lock themselves inside.
This wasn't at you, it was at the guy who said "drivel." And not I don't need to know a code to know laws. That officer broke the law of coming in my house without my permission or warrant, that's what he did. Cops don't like it when citizens such as myself know these types of things and take measures to say the right things and do the right things such as video recording. It holds you fully accountable. YOU KNOW that officer in my thread broke a law and if I had a video recording of it and an attorney a not guilty verdict would be brought down. For instance, little things like this: a local kid was in a closed park after hours with an illegal substance, cops rolls in searches the car (kid doesn't know his rights, idiot), finds substance. Our county only issues one kind of substance test kit or whatever and so it was not recorded which test was performed on the substance. In court, the kid's attorney pointed this out, technically the officer broke a code or something whatever, and therefore even thought the kid had the substance and admitted to it to the officer and everything, that one little technicality brought down the gavel "NOT GUILTY." These are the laws I'm talking about, the ones that are very easy for officers to forget or not realize they're breaking. Cops know crimes and how to stop crimes, but they don't know the little, codes as you stated, that cause the whole case to be a bust.

I'm tired of cops thinking they are the law, they are not, they are law enforcement. The "law" requires at least 8 years of schooling, passing the bar exam, and general upkeep on current laws to know and that's what attorneys are for, finding where you didn't EXACTLY coincide with the law just like officer "Bargin on in" did.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'm tired of cops thinking they are the law, they are not, they are law enforcement. The "law" requires at least 8 years of schooling, passing the bar exam, and general upkeep on current laws to know and that's what attorneys are for, finding where you didn't EXACTLY coincide with the law just like officer "Bargin on in" did.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: of which you have none and it shows every time you pos here

Rossim22

Established Member
Lol there you guys go blowing things out of proportion again. First of all, if I asked an officer if I record him, he couldn't lie to me because I will be asking his permission and thereby gaining his consent. Also, of course having the actual conversation would be better for any criminal traffic lawyer to have so that he can analyze what was said and not what I remember. Also, why do some police officers have dashboard cameras? To protect themselves.. which is all I'd be using it for as well. The officer's story is usually the one that a judge will listen to more carefully, usually correctly because the defendants are full of shit. However in a minor case of police brutality or the chance of a bad cop bending the rules, I could have first-hand evidence.

The guy facing 75 years for eavesdropping that I was directed to walked into a police station with a video camera. I'm asking if during my traffic stop, can I simply have my phone's microphone recording the scenario?

Eavesdropping on your own conversation is illegal? Only in America

Last edited:

cohhbra

Established Member
You've got it exactly right, anywhere in public can be recorded at any time. And to RDJ, no I don't have a law degree or any experience with being an attorney, but I will tell you the things I've learned and might I add used successfully before are to protect me from anything that I need protecting from. I'm in college and I won't end up like some people have that I know, no charges here. Like I've said many times, cops don't like unruly citizens aka people who know how to not get crapped on by police whenever they choose too, you might say it's fighting back in a legal way because while you catch someone who's doing something illegal, you better make sure you didn't break any little minor law in the process( which I'll admit with as many as there are, it's hard not to if someone knows their rights and uses them) or case closed.

And now using my right to remain silent and make funny faces at you sir in 3...2..1....:banana:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
That officer broke the law of coming in my house without my permission or warrant, that's what he did.

Now you claim it was your house the police entered without permission, yet when you started the other thread, you gave indications it was not your house...

Which is it?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
The Supreme Court has ruled that police officers are allowed to lie to you. "If you don't tell me what going on you're going to jail", I've heard that, I didn't say anything in response and guess what, I walked away. The police are allow to say things like we have evidence even when they don't or we have witnesses even when they don't to obtain confessions or any statements they so choose they want. As for my drivel, everything I told in my last thread was true, that cop broke a law to enforce a law, that's why it got you flustered.

This clearly has nothing to do with what the OP is asking. Keep your drivel relevant at least. :nonono:

This wasn't at you, it was at the guy who said "drivel." And not I don't need to know a code to know laws. That officer broke the law of coming in my house without my permission or warrant, that's what he did. Cops don't like it when citizens such as myself know these types of things and take measures to say the right things and do the right things such as video recording. It holds you fully accountable. YOU KNOW that officer in my thread broke a law and if I had a video recording of it and an attorney a not guilty verdict would be brought down. For instance, little things like this: a local kid was in a closed park after hours with an illegal substance, cops rolls in searches the car (kid doesn't know his rights, idiot), finds substance. Our county only issues one kind of substance test kit or whatever and so it was not recorded which test was performed on the substance. In court, the kid's attorney pointed this out, technically the officer broke a code or something whatever, and therefore even thought the kid had the substance and admitted to it to the officer and everything, that one little technicality brought down the gavel "NOT GUILTY." These are the laws I'm talking about, the ones that are very easy for officers to forget or not realize they're breaking. Cops know crimes and how to stop crimes, but they don't know the little, codes as you stated, that cause the whole case to be a bust.

You are proving time and time again that you know absolutely nothing about the "law", "codes", or "pretty much anything else".

Lol there you guys go blowing things out of proportion again. First of all, if I asked an officer if I record him, he couldn't lie to me because I will be asking his permission and thereby gaining his consent. Also, of course having the actual conversation would be better for any criminal traffic lawyer to have so that he can analyze what was said and not what I remember. Also, why do some police officers have dashboard cameras? To protect themselves.. which is all I'd be using it for as well. The officer's story is usually the one that a judge will listen to more carefully, usually correctly because the defendants are full of shit. However in a minor case of police brutality or the chance of a bad cop bending the rules, I could have first-hand evidence.

I'm glad you picked up what I said. Consent would eliminate the eavesdropping.

The conversation for a normal traffic stop won't matter in court. It's not going to be relevant.

I can tell you that a well presented defendant will get just as much attention as the officer.

You've got it exactly right, anywhere in public can be recorded at any time. And to RDJ, no I don't have a law degree or any experience with being an attorney, but I will tell you the things I've learned and might I add used successfully before are to protect me from anything that I need protecting from. I'm in college and I won't end up like some people have that I know, no charges here. Like I've said many times, cops don't like unruly citizens aka people who know how to not get crapped on by police whenever they choose too, you might say it's fighting back in a legal way because while you catch someone who's doing something illegal, you better make sure you didn't break any little minor law in the process( which I'll admit with as many as there are, it's hard not to if someone knows their rights and uses them) or case closed.

And now using my right to remain silent and make funny faces at you sir in 3...2..1....:banana:

You don't know the law. You're not as cool as you think. You have given shit advice in every post you've made. Everone knows it but you. Awkward moments thread comes to mind when I think of you.

And I will tell you, I don't make empty threats. If I tell someone to do something or risk going to jail and they don't do it. They're gonna land themselves in jail. That simple.

Now you claim it was your house the police entered without permission, yet when you started the other thread, you gave indications it was not your house...

Which is it?

Oh my, not an inconsistency with his posts. You better know the "law" Lt. :nonono:

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
My only question for you is...Why are you making plans for when you will need a "criminal traffic lawyer"? I do all kinds of stuff in my car but never felt the need to plan for a criminal lawyer. Had you left that out I wouldn't think the question relevant but you have mentioned it twice now.

The guy facing 75 years for eavesdropping that I was directed to walked into a police station with a video camera. I'm asking if during my traffic stop, can I simply have my phone's microphone recording the scenario?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
My only question for you is...Why are you making plans for when you will need a "criminal traffic lawyer"? I do all kinds of stuff in my car but never felt the need to plan for a criminal lawyer. Had you left that out I wouldn't think the question relevant but you have mentioned it twice now.

I thought the question was already asked, but not answered.

OP has big plans maybe?

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

:dancenana: :read: :p

Rossim22

Established Member
Numerous times I've been pulled over and had sketchy police saying some bogus stuff. One officer stopped me because I had tinted tails and he claimed that its unlawful to have any tint on your tail lights no matter the shade. Keep in mind I have an 03 Muctang Cobra so my lights are tinted to match the 3rd brake light and can easily be seen from 1000ft at night or day.

Second one was a university police officer pulled me over on my supermoto because I went through a patch of grass from the parking lot, completely understandable. However an suv and truck had blocked me in from turning my bike around and exiting between them so I was forced to just go straight which included a 6ft patch of grass. He ended up voiding the ticket after stating that they've been looking at changing the parking area for motorcycles due to this happening a lot. However, before he voided the ticket he was saying things like "just fight the ticket in court and i guarantee you'll win." Things like that I'm sure a lawyer would like to hear for himself

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Numerous times I've been pulled over and had sketchy police saying some bogus stuff. One officer stopped me because I had tinted tails and he claimed that its unlawful to have any tint on your tail lights no matter the shade. Keep in mind I have an 03 Muctang Cobra so my lights are tinted to match the 3rd brake light and can easily be seen from 1000ft at night or day.

Second one was a university police officer pulled me over on my supermoto because I went through a patch of grass from the parking lot, completely understandable. However an suv and truck had blocked me in from turning my bike around and exiting between them so I was forced to just go straight which included a 6ft patch of grass. He ended up voiding the ticket after stating that they've been looking at changing the parking area for motorcycles due to this happening a lot. However, before he voided the ticket he was saying things like "just fight the ticket in court and i guarantee you'll win." Things like that I'm sure a lawyer would like to hear for himself

Keep in mind that in some states tinting you lenses is illegal irregardless of how far you see the lights. Officer may have decided just not to write you for that. It is our discretion.

Well at least this officer was nice enough to void the ticket for you. And I really don't see the point of an attorney hearing what the officer said. The officer told you to fight the ticket. It's not like he was telling you don't find it because you would lose. :shrug:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
The crap you posted has nothing to do with criminal charges which you mentioned above, and a lawyer, DA , or judge will all tell you that recordings would do you no good since the cops neither did nor said anything wrong. You would have looked like a fool for even bringing a recording like that to court.

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Post pictures of your taillights. Flash used and no flash used. Taillights on and off. Day and night.

Those encounters are in no way sketchy. Those officers said nothing that would get your tickets thrown out.

How many times have you been pulled over?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Im typing this slowly so you will understand. Setting up a camera to record the stop without informing the officer he is being recorded is a felony in the OP's state as well as a federal felony. So your suggestion that because the officer didnt ask if he was being recorded it is okay is simply stupid and not accurate. So, keep your uneducated and ill-informed comments to yourself especially when offering legal advice with absolutely no basis for such advice.

FordSVTFan

Established Member

You are a fool. You say you dont need to know the code to know the law, when in fact, the "code" is the law. It refers to the "codified statute." Additionally, by your own admission of the facts the officer had PC to enter the residence.

The "law" also does not require 8 years of schooling to become a lawyer. The law does not require any set time frame. In every state it requires graduating from law school (usually three years) and passing the bar. However, there was a point not to long ago that in a few states if a person could pass the bar exam they didnt have to ever go to law school.

So, shut the hell up. You keep proving how much of a moron you truly are.

Yes, I am a LEO and a licensed Attorney.

FordSVTFan

Established Member

Do you think there is any officer who is going to give you his consent to record him? The answer is no. However, you dont need his consent, you just need to inform him that it is being recorded.

Officers do not choose to install their own dashcams, it is department/agency policy for numerous reasons, mostly for support of later prosecution.

Also, what criminal traffic violations are you committing in Florida as there are very few and they would have little to do with what the officer says to you.

You arent eavesdropping on your own conversation, there are two people there. Thus, the conversation is meant only for those two people unless otherwise indicated (i.e. with notice of recording) and a recording would violate the privacy of that conversation since you are only one part of it.

I love how people bitch about the laws in this country. I suggest you travel to Eastern Europe and try this stuff there, or better yet South America.

Rossim22

Established Member
Keep in mind that in some states tinting you lenses is illegal irregardless of how far you see the lights. Officer may have decided just not to write you for that. It is our discretion.

Well at least this officer was nice enough to void the ticket for you. And I really don't see the point of an attorney hearing what the officer said. The officer told you to fight the ticket. It's not like he was telling you don't find it because you would lose. :shrug:

Stock cars come from the factory with tint on their tail lights so it has nothing to do with the color. Just the effectiveness of the lights themselves.

But there's the usual response, you all going off on a tangent. I'm asking in regard to my safety if I can keep a recording device in my vehicle when an officer pulls me over. It's my own conversation in which I can not eavesdrop on

Users who are viewing this thread