Recommend efficient daily driver

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Why is nobody mentioning the new player. The dodge dart.

no surprise here.

Talk about a honduh nutswinger, honduhs are decent but I will take the focus.

I am a car guy. I respect different cars and dont have a bias. The honda is the best commuter car and thats a fact, much like the gt500 is the fastest 4 seat car under 60k. Look you might love american only cars but I respect cars for what they are, not just where they are made

Never_Enough

Established Member
Veloster Turbo. I drove a (Manual) non-turbo one & aside from the lack of HP & TQ, it was not bad. This coming from a Hyundai hater as my 2010 Genesis Coupe was a POS.

I would daily drive a Veloster turbo if I had something else fun at home.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I am a car guy. I respect different cars and dont have a bias. The honda is the best commuter car and thats a fact, much like the gt500 is the fastest 4 seat car under 60k. Look you might love american only cars but I respect cars for what they are, not just where they are made
horseshit. I will just leave this summation from Car and Driver here:

"Add it all up, and the Focus beats the Civic. Our winner nearly matches the fuel economy of the Civic while providing one-class-up levels of refinement and driving dynamics. The Focus has now faced every major competitor in its segment, and despite its transmission, it has vanquished them all. It is now our undisputed compact car of choice"

and as far as the transmission goes. those issues are no longer issues

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Thats about the worst advice ever. Civics are cheap econo crap, and everyone knows Honda automatics are junk.

The Civic and Corolla are not "built to last" they are built using low grade materials and shitty engineering and sold for way more than they are worth.

Buy a Cruze Eco or Focus, either one is like stepping into a Mercedes after being in a shitbox civic or corolla.

W...T...F:dw:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

No that's your opinion.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Was it the same generation civic?

That is not so good advice for the OP's circumstances. Discard reliability and focus on superficial aspects. Based on your purchases I'd say you waste/lose a lot of money on cars.

I never said "discard reliability." I said that at this price point, all cars are fairly equal. No one car is enough better than another to dismiss one on grounds of poor reliability. Believe me, I JUST went through this before I bought a Focus. For a car I'm spending 2+ hours per day in, yes, "superficial aspects" matter, enough to be the deciding factor for me.

Cars are not only my hobby, a huge chunk of my life is spent in the driver's seat. I don't see money spent on cars as a loss or a waste. But since you see fit to judge me on my vehicle history -

1999 Honda Civic: My brother still drives it, poor kid.
2000 Mustang GT: Bought for $9k. Sold for $8k. Cost - $1k for 3 years of use.
2010 Dodge Ram: Bought for $33k. Sold for $29k 2 years later. Cost - $4k for 2 years of use
2012 Boss 302: Bought for $42k. Traded in for $38k + $2k tax credit. Cost - $2k for 7 months of use and 34 days in the shop. Options were trade or lemon law, I chose trade.

In total I "lost" $7k over 12 years of driving. I'm ok with that. :bored:

04cobrafreak

Established Member
I've got an 08 Mazda 3, unfortunately right before they came put with the skyactiv engines. Either way, I average around 32 if I baby it and about 28-30 if I drive hard at times. Great little car for around $14k brand new. Mines also a 5 speed but I don't think the mileage is much different in an auto. I would love to look into trading in mine on a new skyactiv or maybe a new speed3. I say go with the Mazda but I may be biased

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
What is wrong with the newer (2011+) golf TDI's?

I'm also looking for a DD, 40+ mpg with better-than prius acceleration, around 25k is what I'm looking for.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member

Yeah, Honda is the beacon of quality.

We had 2 Hondas in my family.

A 2008 Civic, which had numerous electronic issues. Boring to drive, and didn't get great gas mileage.

And a 2010 Honda Accord Coupe, which has the white paint peeling off, perforated rust through body panels(which Honda refused to cover.) Poor, awful quality leather inside the interior. All this with under 5k miles on the odometer.

96 cobra

Established Member
A 2008 Civic, which had numerous electronic issues. Boring to drive, and didn't get great gas mileage.

And a 2010 Honda Accord Coupe, which has the white paint peeling off, perforated rust through body panels(which Honda refused to cover.) Poor, awful quality leather inside the interior. All this with under 5k miles on the odometer.

This. Honda quality has drastically fallen off in the past few years.

2012 Ford Focus SE vs. 2012 Honda Civic EX - Comparison Tests - Page 2

Consumer Reports Knocks Honda Civic Off Recommended List

etc...

Kannif

I'm that guy!
Established Member
Tdi jetta. Mpg's better than gas and fun to drive. Mine will hit 265k shortly and averages 50mpg combined. Also skip the auto.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Tdi jetta. Mpg's better than gas and fun to drive. Mine will hit 265k shortly and averages 50mpg combined. Also skip the auto.

I can get a 2010 for a steal but I'm concerned about the dsg trans issues and the 40k maint. on it. Also the new tdi does not get as good of mpg compared to the older ones which you may have.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
TDI's are great. I got sold on diesel's while living in Europe. I am so excited with the new Cruze diesel coming here. If it comes here with a stick and leather its my next DD no questions asked. My roommate has a TDI completely stock and with a 100+ mile a day commute to work and he AVERAGES 42 mpg. TDI's are AWESOME!

Stick with the 6-speed on TDI's, way better trans.

Wildman113

Established Member
lol wow.

Ignorance truly is bliss.

You will see far more older accord/camry or civic/corollas on the road than any other vehicles, and its the same for all years. Their build quality is solid. Ford/GM build quality now is just as solid, but early-mid 00's and 90's was absolute GARBAGE. How many old Taurus or Caviliers do you see? Probably a tenth of the accords/civics/etc out there driving around with 200-300k on them.

My fusion has a leaky 6F35 (GM/Ford auto 6spd fwd tranny) at 95k. Im now trying to get rid of this boring car more than ever, pass seat now makes a squeak over bumps, the recirculation fan in the cabin makes a high pitched whistle on the 3rd highest setting, Mercedes quality right there folks.

Wow, a leaky seal, a squeak, and a whistle from the blower. Thats nothing for almost 100K, you are ridiculous.

My family has an '07 Honda Odyssey, so far after 82K miles, its had the following failures:

3 Different Wheel bearings
2 Power Steering Pumps
Both Front Window Motors
A power door that opens by itself
A faulty torque converter (that Honda won't replace, so they reflashed it so its "less noticeable")
The exhaust has rotted out at the flex pipe
Both outer Tie Rods
One Inner Tie Rod
A Brake Master Cylinder

Currently, it has a bad $600 rear electronic engine mount, another bad wheel bearing, the windows are slow as molasses, and it has no power brake assist after its started. Also, the paint is peeling off the front bumper around the headlights.

Yea, thats Honda Quality. Our '03 Civic was just as bad. Their '01 Odyssey had a transmission failure at 118K. $4500 to fix so they trade it for the '07.

Anyone who know anything about automotive repair knows Honda and Toyota are over hyped, over priced garbage. Anyone who says anything different is a fanboy, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Wildman113

Established Member
Ha ha ha this is a joke right?

The only joke here is you, fanboy.

Talk about a USA nutswinger....

As you swing on the jap's nuts...

the Civic is more reliable than a focus FACT

Care to back that up?? Of course you don't. Its so obvious that you're talking out of your asshole that its hardly worth arguing.

the buttons and toys are better in the focus BUT in terms of longevity I will take the civic all day everyday and twice on sunday.

Good for you. Have fun with your overpriced junk.

canibus

Established Member
A lot of people joke that I drive a Prius. Yet when we go on long trips everyone wants me to drive. If you don't mind being seen in one, get it. Smartest car purchase I've ever made. I drive just as much as you do.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
They're all disposable econoboxes at this price point, so you might as well base your decisions on looks and options.

I never said "discard reliability." I said that at this price point, all cars are fairly equal.

You didn't have to say discard it, you already made it clear that you think all cars in this price point are fairly equal in terms of reliability. Meaning it's a factor you don't think needs consideration. I believe this is false, so do most mechanics, Consumer Reports, ect. You also think they're disposable cars. Not everyone makes enough money to consider 20+k net disposable and because of this may take the purchase more seriously.

Cars are not only my hobby, a huge chunk of my life is spent in the driver's seat. I don't see money spent on cars as a loss or a waste. But since you see fit to judge me on my vehicle history -

1999 Honda Civic: My brother still drives it, poor kid.
2000 Mustang GT: Bought for $9k. Sold for $8k. Cost - $1k for 3 years of use.
2010 Dodge Ram: Bought for $33k. Sold for $29k 2 years later. Cost - $4k for 2 years of use
2012 Boss 302: Bought for $42k. Traded in for $38k + $2k tax credit. Cost - $2k for 7 months of use and 34 days in the shop. Options were trade or lemon law, I chose trade.

In total I "lost" $7k over 12 years of driving. I'm ok with that. :bored:

Cars are a big part of everyone's life here. I'm sure when you add in mods your loss is higher, but I made that statement based off your two most recent purchases. 2 cars that will depreciate somewhat quickly. Personally, I'm ahead more than you're behind on all my cars tallied up bought and sold. But I don't buy new.

I'm 26, I've driven about 350,000 miles in my 10 years on the road. Average 35k a year. Do you mind telling me how many miles a year you drive normally? I think when you spend as much time in a vehicle as myself or the OP does your opinion of what's important changes. I'm glad you really like your focus. I've liked most of my cars for about a year maybe two before I'm over them, CTS-V included. That's why when choosing a new daily I don't get hung up on looks and options because it will be for a very short period of my total ownership that they matter to me. If I was like you and bought a new car every year or two then I would go based on looks and options because warranty will cover me.

OP, also consider that Ford, GM and Chrysler have to eat a significant amount more overhead per vehicle because of costs associated with present and past workers. They have to cut corners somewhere to meet a competitive price point.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Anyone who know anything about automotive repair knows Honda and Toyota are over hyped, over priced garbage. Anyone who says anything different is a fanboy, plain and simple.

Considering your strong hate for Honda/Toyota and the Detroit residence I am doubting the truth of your posted experience.

Honda had a quality dip from around 98-03. The trans issues were a design flaw that led to quick failures for a Honda. I would still take one over nearly all other brands from that era. Some of the other quality issues I believe were part of the switch to making cars in the U.S. No surprise considering the difference in work ethic between here and Japan. Though I will take the U.S. work ethic over the one in Mexico any day...

My Accord has 370,000 on the original engine and automatic trans. Nearly everything is original and working. All the power equipment, power steering,alternator(you don't replace it you take off 2 screws and replace the brushes),A/C has never even needed charged. The interior has held up well, the seats are solid ect. I worked in a garage all through high school, that's where I got a real grasp on who was making what.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread