Recommend efficient daily driver

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I've been looking for awhile now and can't decide what to buy. I'm in need of a 4 door that gets good gas mileage as I drive around 45k miles a year. It must be an auto otherwise an ST would be the obvious choice for me.

I've looked at the following:
cruze eco
Focus hatch
Mazda 3 hatch w/ skyactiv
Used 2010 TDI

From my research the cruze eco and mazda 3 can get 40+mpg and of course the TDI will easily match those or exceed. I was leaning towards the TDI for the extra room but I'm not sure I want to deal with the DSG tranny and the maintenace cost of diesel.

Any recommendations?

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
civic, focus or elanta. under $20k new. 40mpg hwy, 4 doors available. cheap to maintain, cheap insurance, reliable, etc..

Last edited:

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
mazda 3. I hate the transmission in the focus. come to my store, I have a surplus of 2012's left that were making stupid deals on

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
mazda 3. I hate the transmission in the focus. come to my store, I have a surplus of 2012's left that were making stupid deals on
when was the last time you actually dronve one? was it updated? how many miles were on it when you drove it?

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Personally, I'd go with something Skyactiv (Mazda's econo engine tech that they're also using for race cars) if I had to go with a gas-sipper. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Almost as good MPG as some hybrids, but still has a lot of pep for its size and economy.

Do a search for articles talking about this engine tech, and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
ok how about the hyundai veloster?

neat looking little rice boxes! and somewhat quick for a grocery getter.

civic, focus or elanta. under $20k new. 40mpg hwy, 4 doors available. cheap to maintain, cheap insurance, reliable, etc..

civic all the way. you just get in and drive. ultimate car, they almost never break. and you can drive em forever on one tank of gas. especially the old ones. my 95 averaged 50 mpg city and highway until some bitch t-boned me :nonono:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I picked up a loaded 2013 Focus Ti 4 door for $22k. I'm getting ~30 mpg. The car is everything I needed for my 80 mi/day commute, and it has a good stereo/nav stetup to boot. The trans is a little wonky tho.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
I picked up a loaded 2013 Focus Ti 4 door for $22k. I'm getting ~30 mpg. The car is everything I needed for my 80 mi/day commute, and it has a good stereo/nav stetup to boot. The trans is a little wonky tho.

yeah, my only gripe with the new fofo's. sometimes the trans is herky-jerky...

SHOdown220

Established Member
I really like my focus, granted I opted for the 5 speed. I know the dct has an update that was supposed to fix the jerkiness. I test drove an automatic and didn't notice anything funky with the transmission. My old roommate bought a focus after I got mine she liked it so much. 2013 se but loaded with leather, nav etc and she got a great deal on it. She also chose the 5-speed though but only for cost savings.

Edit: forgot to mention the fuel mileage. Even if I drive mine hard I can't seem to break into 20s for an average mpg. Still around 32 driving hard every now and then. If I baby it average around 35-36. Best was on a beach trip I think I averaged 42 with the ac blasting and a 260 pound passenger the whole time. The auto is suppose to get better due to its 6 gears

Last edited:

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Thanks guys. It seems most of you recommend the focus or mazda 3. I prefer the looks of the 3 and the better mpg's so I think i'll go that route.

I'm staying away from the civic. Put 100k miles on an 08 Si and didn't really care for it much.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
94' honda civic $2000-ish on craigslist- send the diff to Lobras paypal account.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My parents got a '13 focus and aside from the 6spd auto being weird at its shift points it's a stout little econobox

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Driving 45,000 miles a year you will quickly get into the parts failure zone on a Chevy, Ford, Mazda, and VW. This is what I would do, pocket 10k and get a low mileage 08/09 Civic Ex. The look is still fresh and they're rated for 36 highway. People online are pulling off 40mpg. I believe the automatic is actually more efficient then the manual. The room in the back is pretty good, I'm 5'9" and I don't mind riding in back of them.

If you're going to spend that much time in a car you need one that is really built to last.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread