rear-ended! body guys in here plz

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
so i am out for an enjoyable drive yesterday morning, but lots of traffic all over. light turns green and traffic begins moving very slowly, when all of a sudden i feel a violent lurch - i thought my clutch blew up or something like that, but then can see that the vehicle behind me ran into me. lady's all all freaking out, she could barely speak english. fortunately there were motorcycle cops up up ahead close by, and he gave us info cards to exchange. it was her fault, so i am filing a third party claim against her liability insurance for property damage.

is there anything i should look for as far damage that might not be obvious? insurance adjuster is coming tomorrow to appraise. the bumper skin is scratched and damaged, but the structure underneath and foam backing all look intact. both leading edges of bumper at quarter panel look intact. the car seems to sit higher than it did before, but that could just be my imagination. it almost seems like the bumper absorbed all the impact but then returned to normal (?) car drives fine. it is a 2004 cobra convertible.

here's some pics - thx for any advice or feedback, cheers
DSCN2277.JPG

DSCN2278.JPG

DSCN2279.JPG
DSCN2280.JPG

DSCN2297.JPG

wckdvnm

Established Member
so i am out for an enjoyable drive yesterday morning, but lots of traffic all over. light turns green and traffic begins moving very slowly, when all of a sudden i feel a violent lurch - i thought my clutch blew up or something like that, but then can see that the vehicle behind me ran into me. lady's all all freaking out, she could barely speak english. fortunately there were motorcycle cops up up ahead close by, and he gave us info cards to exchange. it was her fault, so i am filing a third party claim against her liability insurance for property damage.

is there anything i should look for as far damage that might not be obvious? insurance adjuster is coming tomorrow to appraise. the bumper skin is scratched and damaged, but the structure underneath and foam backing all look intact. both leading edges of bumper at quarter panel look intact. the car seems to sit higher than it did before, but that could just be my imagination. it almost seems like the bumper absorbed all the impact but then returned to normal (?) car drives fine. it is a 2004 cobra convertible.

here's some pics - thx for any advice or feedback, cheersView attachment 1410364
View attachment 1410365
View attachment 1410366 View attachment 1410367
View attachment 1410368

Tomorrow after work when there’s light I’ll take a look under mine. Since I had my whole right quarter crushed they replaced the whole rear crash bar with a new OEM part. That bumper is expensive trust me. Could have ended up like mine.
8113ae9e9452a76dbb944b3f64c5c962.png

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
That sucks Chris, but the pics don't look bad. Check the gaps around the trunk lid and the doors, if the body got bent they wouldn't be even anymore. I hope it's all straight and just needs paint.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I got rear ended pretty hard about a month after I got the car. I had the guys license plate numbers imprinted in my bumper. It pancakes the bumper. You could see the gap between the bumper and decklid had gotten pretty small. The bumper was replaced and everything else underneath was fine.

The bumpers definitely aren't cheap. I think mine was $600 and was the last one in San Diego.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

wckdvnm

Established Member
I got rear ended pretty hard about a month after I got the car. I had the guys license plate numbers imprinted in my bumper. It pancakes the bumper. You could see the gap between the bumper and decklid had gotten pretty small. The bumper was replaced and everything else underneath was fine.

The bumpers definitely aren't cheap. I think mine was $600 and was the last one in San Diego.

Ford still makes them and it was $850 through them. And that was unpainted.

RAIDERS

Established Member
This why I scare take my car out on busy street . I always try avoid busy road and try get on back road away from red light to red light road . When I stop at red light I always look on the rear mirror hoping the car stop lol

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
^lol i dunno! distracted drivers i guess

thanks everyone for all the good info and advice -

i will check out the panel alignments then see what the claims adjuster says, and hope they don't try to lowball me

wckdvnm

Established Member
^lol i dunno! distracted drivers i guess

thanks everyone for all the good info and advice -

i will check out the panel alignments then see what the claims adjuster says, and hope they don't try to lowball me

What company was her liability through? Allstate screwed me, they didn’t want to replace my exhaust so I have a dented rear flow pipe. I wanted to get ataks out of it lol.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Sorry to hear Chris. Hope all works out. Bring your spreadsheets out to that adjuster and let him know besides being a Cobra it’s 1 of 72.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
That sucks Chris. Hope everything works out. Another reason with all the q-tips and snow birds down here I'm hesitant to drive mine.

I get the same way man. Bdubbs on here had a good idea. I think he said he drives his early in the morning or late at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
WTF is going on! Two of my cobra buddies both got rear ended this week also! Im keeping mine the garage forever.
I have shows this weekend and next weekend. I've only pulled the car out to wash it.

I usually go through my insurance. Even when it's the other person's fault. My stuff gets fixed right and they can deal with getting paid.

dom418

Established Member
Sucks to hear but glad you're ok.

This is why mine only comes out at 8 am on weekends. I don't like being around other drivers. Everyone is either distracted or is in a huge hurry

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Brought my coupe to San Diego for a show this weekend.

Damn, there's a lot of traffic here. It's parked in the garage now. It's not coming out until 8am Sunday. Then back to the garage Sunday night. I'll load it up on the trailer Monday morning and head out.

Sorry to hear OP. However, in the pictures it doesn't look bad at all. Hopefully, everything is minor.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yeah as i read the title of this thread i made, perhaps i overreacted and "rear-ended!" is too strong a phrase for the actual damage that occurred. could have been a lot worse, and fortunately i wasn't hurt. gotta always count your blessings.

so the appraiser (her company) said that those scratches on the top portion, and that chip just under the decklid on the top couldn't have been done by this accident and that it was "unrelated prior damage". he says it was too high for the other vehicle's bumper couldn't have reached that high. implied that it was from groceries or something smh.

not true. like most of you guys on this board, i know every little imperfection on my car and i know for sure that it all definitely happened with this accident. there were no scratches or blemishes on the bumper at all beforehand. i don't know how it happened either though - maybe the bumper sort of pushed up and then returned to normal or something.

but either way they're willing to get the whole bumper cover refinished so it might be a mute point. Edit: moot point

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't think they have a choice really. I believe in order to do the clear right they have to spray the whole bumper. I know they sprayed my whole bumper for the scrape on the passenger side. But then I have metallic paint.

Users who are viewing this thread