Rear Differential Leak?

res0n0xg

Established Member
Never really dealt with it on my car, until today after a short drive to the post office I'm coming back from getting my mail and I see decent amount of what looks to be oil underneath the back/middle of my car, right between my two SLP mufflers.

I reached under and took a quick swipe, definitely oil.... has to be the differential fluid correct?

What's the best way to re-seal it if so?

Last edited:

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
cover needs to be removed and resealed. fresh fluid and your good to go. i did three reseals on mine and some friends cars without removing the diff, but others on here recommend to remove diff first.

Last edited:

Ralo

Established Member
I need to reseal mine but I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle it yet.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
be sure it isn't the pinion seal...i have that problem with mine right now

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
they all do this. mine is getting really bad and the rear is humming but i dont really care too much at the moment.

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
Mine seeps a little too. I do have a warranty from Ford on it right now. Should I take it back to get resealed?

res0n0xg

Established Member
This is the first time I've noticed that much fluid honestly, how hard is it to reseal? Can I do it with a couple jacks and jack stands? Honestly i didn't smell it that closely, but from what I said, it has to be the rear diff right??

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Mine was leaking a little on my garage floor.

It is hard to describe but it definitely smelled different and looked like black oil in the middle, but a clearer thick greasy substance around the black part.

I took mine in and the warranty covered everything. The dealership told me that they had to remove it to reseal it and they used a better sealant then what was originally in there. So far so good.:-D

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Gear oil sticks to hell, just put a piece of paper under the dif, thats how I found out for sure.

res0n0xg

Established Member
it's gotta be the differential, it does smell very odd, that's for damn sure. I didn't get all the way under the car, but I see some splatter on my exhaust from where it looks like it has dripped a little on it and the diff itself looks pretty grungy.

Has anyone actually resealed their own? How hard is the job??

cbr repsol

Established Member
check the bolts first ,my friends 03 was leaking really bad. all of the lower cover bolts were loose. we tightened them up and it stoped leaking ,dont forget to top off with fluid.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
it's gotta be the differential, it does smell very odd, that's for damn sure. I didn't get all the way under the car, but I see some splatter on my exhaust from where it looks like it has dripped a little on it and the diff itself looks pretty grungy.

Has anyone actually resealed their own? How hard is the job??

this is a very common problem with our cars, and yes many folks have had to reseal the differential cover.

there are many good write ups on this board :beer:

res0n0xg

Established Member
Any guides out there? I just called a local shop, and they quoted me 6 hours of labor for the diff re-seal saying that because I have an IRS you have to remove some of it to get to the diff?

6 labor hours seems like a ****ing insane amount....

92 Couper

Established Member
Mine was leaking, I pulled out the diff and resealed it when I was doing the Billetflow brace and MM diff bushings. Not hard but time comsuming. I used a gasket in mine (from the thunderbird SC diff) along with ultra gray and filled her up with fresh synthetic and friction modifier, I probably had 6 hours in the job by the time I was done.

Users who are viewing this thread